• New User Registrations

From Sunspoticus@1:103/705 to All on Tue May 14 17:43:04 2019
    Hi all,

I've stood up fresh copy of Synchronet (for Windows), got the basics configured
    and even connected into DoveNET...

But it seems no one can register. Several people have tried and while it might look like its completed a registration, it refuses to recognize them on a return visit (and of course, there's no user record)..

Coincidently, I cannot SAVE any user edits using the editor from the control panel. Complains about access to User.Dat (but I have permissions set for 'everyone' to have full control in my /bbs directory, so I don't think its a OS-permission thing.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,
    Sunspoticus

---
    þ Synchronet þ The MasterCom BBS - bbs.sunspothq.dyndns.org
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 11:36:00 2019
    On 05-14-19 17:43, Sunspoticus wrote to All <=-

Hi all,

I've stood up fresh copy of Synchronet (for Windows), got the basics configured and even connected into DoveNET...

But it seems no one can register. Several people have tried and while
    it might look like its completed a registration, it refuses to
    recognize them on a return visit (and of course, there's no user
    record)..

Coincidently, I cannot SAVE any user edits using the editor from the control panel. Complains about access to User.Dat (but I have
    permissions set for 'everyone' to have full control in my /bbs
    directory, so I don't think its a OS-permission thing.

Looks like you're running on Windows. It's possible that either the files have
    different permissions, or have the read only bit set. Worth checking.

... You call a plasma grenade a WARNING?
    === MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Sunspoticus on Tue May 14 19:18:42 2019
    Re: New User Registrations
    By: Sunspoticus to All on Tue May 14 2019 05:43 pm

Hi all,

I've stood up fresh copy of Synchronet (for Windows), got the basics configured and even connected into DoveNET...

But it seems no one can register. Several people have tried and while it might look like its completed a registration, it refuses to recognize them on a return visit (and of course, there's no user record)..

Coincidently, I cannot SAVE any user edits using the editor from the
    control
    panel. Complains about access to User.Dat (but I have permissions set for 'everyone' to have full control in my /bbs directory, so I don't think its OS-permission thing.

Any help would be appreciated..

Do you have a sysop account setup yet?

What are the details (date/time, size, permissions) of your data/user/user.dat file?

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #58:
    SEXPOTS = Synchronet External Plain Old Telephone System (POTS) service
    Norco, CA WX: 67.1øF, 73.0% humidity, 11 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to Sunspoticus on Tue May 14 23:34:14 2019
    By: Sunspoticus to All on Tue May 14 2019 17:43:04

control panel. Complains about access to User.Dat (but I have permissions set for 'everyone' to have full control in my /bbs directory, so I don't think its a OS-permission thing.

Are you certain those permissions were applied recursively, and also apply to data/user/user.dat? I imagine others have already said the same, but this sounds like a classic permissions issue.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Sunspoticus@1:103/705 to Tony Langdon on Wed May 15 05:43:27 2019
    Re: Re: New User Registrations
    By: Tony Langdon to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 2019 11:36 am

Looks like you're running on Windows. It's possible that either the files have different permissions, or have the read only bit set. Worth checking.

That was the first thing I checked out. Read-Only is not set and "EVERYONE" (all users) have full control in the entire BBS directory structure.

---
  • From Sunspoticus@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed May 15 05:48:07 2019
    By: Digital Man to Sunspoticus on Tue May 14 2019 07:18 pm

Yes. I'm using it now. Me and the Guest account are the only entries in the userbase.

What are the details (date/time, size, permissions) of your data/user/user.dat file?

user.dat 3k, updated when I logged in a few minutes ago to check for messages.

As expected, I see two backup files. user.0.dat and user.1.dat, both 3k as well.

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 11:21:28 2019
    By: Sunspoticus to Digital Man on Wed May 15 2019 05:48 am

By: Digital Man to Sunspoticus on Tue May 14 2019 07:18 pm

Yes. I'm using it now. Me and the Guest account are the only entries in the userbase.

Okay, so new users can be created? Or something changed since you created the sysop and guest accounts?

user.dat 3k, updated when I logged in a few minutes ago to check for messages.

As expected, I see two backup files. user.0.dat and user.1.dat, both 3k as well.

I was curious about the exact size, but "3k" is probably fine. I think each record is about 1.5k.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #29:
    I find lost luggage. I locate mandolin strings in the middle of Austin!
    Norco, CA WX: 65.0øF, 73.0% humidity, 10 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Steve Wolf@1:103/705 to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 14:12:20 2019
    By: Sunspoticus to All on Tue May 14 2019 05:43 pm

But it seems no one can register. Several people have tried and while it might look like its completed a registration, it refuses to recognize
    them
    on a return visit (and of course, there's no user record)..

Coincidently, I cannot SAVE any user edits using the editor from the control panel. Complains about access to User.Dat (but I have permissions set for 'everyone' to have full control in my /bbs directory, so I don't think its a OS-permission thing.

I'm no Synchronet "Master Mechanic" but it sure sounds like a permission thing to me.

Steve Wolf
    aka HusTler
    Havens BBS havens.synchro.net (1:267/160)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from Haven BBS. havens.synchro.net
  • From Steve Wolf@1:103/705 to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 14:25:59 2019
    By: Sunspoticus to Digital Man on Wed May 15 2019 05:48 am

Which account your Windows account or Synchronet account? How many user accounts do you have for Windows? Which account did you install Synchronet? Years ago I had a similar problem that turned out to be a windows user Access problem. Before you go any further double check everthing and re-install Synchronet. After you reinstall Synchonet the first account made is your "Synchronet SysOp" account. ;-) Good Luck!

PS If you don't use your windows Guest account or any other accounts delete them. That's what I did anyway. It worked like a charm.

Steve Wolf
    aka HusTler
    Havens BBS havens.synchro.net (1:267/160)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from Haven BBS. havens.synchro.net
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Sunspoticus on Thu May 16 07:52:00 2019
    On 05-15-19 05:43, Sunspoticus wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

By: Tony Langdon to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 2019 11:36 am

Looks like you're running on Windows. It's possible that either the files have different permissions, or have the read only bit set. Worth checking.

That was the first thing I checked out. Read-Only is not set and "EVERYONE" (all users) have full control in the entire BBS directory structure.

Have you specifically checked the files? I might sound pedantic, but there's so much granularity that words don't convey well, and sweeping statements don't
    tell me the specific details I need.

Oh, and computers, by their nature are literal and even more pedantic! :D

... Look Twice... Save a Life!!! Motorcycles are Everywhere!!!
    === MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Sunspoticus@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed May 15 21:14:42 2019
    By: Digital Man to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 2019 11:21 am

Okay, so new users can be created? Or something changed since you created the sysop and guest accounts?

The system will let you register but the record is never saved.

---
  • From Sunspoticus@1:103/705 to Steve Wolf on Wed May 15 21:20:35 2019
    By: Steve Wolf to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 2019 02:25 pm

Which account your Windows account or Synchronet account? How many user accounts do you have for Windows? Which account did you install Synchronet? Years ago I had a similar problem that turned out to be a windows user Access problem. Before you go any further double check everthing and re-install Synchronet. After you reinstall Synchonet the first account made is your "Synchronet SysOp" account. ;-) Good Luck!

PS If you don't use your windows Guest account or any other accounts delete them. That's what I did anyway. It worked like a charm.

I'm talking about my BBS accounts. I installed it using a Administrator-level account.

I've trippled checked the permissions so I've ruled out anything at the OS level at this point.

This is also the 2nd install (fresh) and the effect is still the same.

The version of Windows is Windows Server 2016 Essentials (x64).

---
  • From Sunspoticus@1:103/705 to Tony Langdon on Wed May 15 21:23:19 2019
    By: Tony Langdon to Sunspoticus on Thu May 16 2019 07:52 am

Have you specifically checked the files? I might sound pedantic, but there's so much granularity that words don't convey well, and sweeping statements don't tell me the specific details I need.

Its ok, and yes, I've checked it down to the file level.

All the remedial stuff I've looked at as me and computers go back into the mid 1970s and I've been a software engineer 35 years now.. I appreciate everyone's patience and going after the basics. Already covered all those.. :)

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Sunspoticus on Thu May 16 01:51:12 2019
    By: Sunspoticus to Digital Man on Wed May 15 2019 09:14 pm

By: Digital Man to Sunspoticus on Wed May 15 2019 11:21 am

Okay, so new users can be created? Or something changed since you
    created
    the sysop and guest accounts?

The system will let you register but the record is never saved.

Well it was working... or else you wouldn't have a sysop and a guest account. Have you looked at your log files for errors?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #57:
    Synchronet introduced Telnet, FTP, SMTP and POP3 support w/v3.00a-Win32 in 2000.
    Norco, CA WX: 56.7øF, 87.0% humidity, 1 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Sunspoticus on Thu May 16 01:52:15 2019
    By: Sunspoticus to Tony Langdon on Wed May 15 2019 09:23 pm

By: Tony Langdon to Sunspoticus on Thu May 16 2019 07:52 am

Have you specifically checked the files? I might sound pedantic, but there's so much granularity that words don't convey well, and sweeping statements don't tell me the specific details I need.

Its ok, and yes, I've checked it down to the file level.

All the remedial stuff I've looked at as me and computers go back into the mid 1970s and I've been a software engineer 35 years now.. I appreciate everyone's patience and going after the basics. Already covered all those.. :)

If there's any kind of error writing to any files, including the user base, then an error should be logged. Have you looked at your log files (e.g. data/error.log file)?

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #51:
    PETSCII = PET Standard Code of Information Interchange (a.k.a. CBM ASCII) Norco, CA WX: 56.7øF, 87.0% humidity, 1 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux