• purge/pack sbbs/data/mail*

From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Digital Man on Thu Apr 11 11:49:10 2019

when does sbbs/data/mail* get purged and packed? i know that i've deleted almost all of the messages stored in there... some of them were emails with large attachments... i did the deletion via the ;MAIL command and hitting [D]elete on each message a week ago but the mail* still some 27Meg in size...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
    Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... This was typed by an infinite number of monkeys.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to mark lewis on Thu Apr 11 11:39:41 2019
    Re: purge/pack sbbs/data/mail*
    By: mark lewis to Digital Man on Thu Apr 11 2019 11:49 am

when does sbbs/data/mail* get purged and packed? i know that i've deleted almost all of the messages stored in there... some of them were emails with large attachments... i did the deletion via the ;MAIL command and hitting [D]elete on each message a week ago but the mail* still some 27Meg in size...

The built-in mail base (data/mail.*) maintenance never packs (shrinks) the base
    as that requires exclusive access to mail base (no SMTP/POP3/HTTP access). The smbutil command can be used for this task and it'll safely lock/unlock the mail
    base during the operation.

That said, the mail base also uses "self-packing" storage mode, so it'll automatically re-use freed blocks for new data and headers and won't grow indefinitely in size. So if you can spare the 27MB, it's best to just leave it be.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #67:
    SEXYZ is as a 32-bit replacement for [F]DSZ, CE-XYZ and other protocol drivers.
    Norco, CA WX: 69.4øF, 33.0% humidity, 9 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)