• Weather Underground - End of Sevice for WU API - syncWX affected

From echicken@1:103/705 to KenDB3 on Sun Jan 6 03:35:19 2019
    Re: Weather Underground - End of Sevice for WU API - syncWX affected
    By: KenDB3 to All on Wed Dec 12 2018 05:07:58

3) I've been extremely short on time for hobbies these days. So, I'm not sure when I will get the time to retrofit syncWX with a new API, from Weather.com or otherwise.

I've just added exec/load/openweathermap.js to the Synchronet CVS repository. It's barebones, but lets you call an arbitrary endpoint on the OpenWeatherMap web API with whatever parameters are required. It has built-in cache and rate-limiting to help keep within the (currently generous) free-tier usage limits. If I end up exploring their API further I'll probably extend this library with some convenience methods.

If you do end up with some time on your hands, this might be of some use to you
    in updating syncWXremix.

I'm really happy how syncWXremix turned out and how well it worked for as long as it did. I had wanted to finish some additional stuff for it, but never got around to it (mostly little things). If anyone wants to work on their own version, feel free. You can fork the code right from GitHub.

I may do that if you don't anticipate getting back to this soon (or ever), or perhaps some other interested party will pick it up.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)