• Displaying avatars

From Phigan@1:103/705 to All on Thu Jul 28 02:16:09 2022
    To stop avatars from being displayed in the message header, is there a preferred method besides creating a msghdr.asc? I like the current/default headers, but the avatars screw them up in some terminals (on old computers). The example file shows a simpler header than the default one.

---
    þ Synchronet þ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Phigan on Thu Jul 28 14:43:13 2022
    Re: Displaying avatars
    By: Phigan to All on Thu Jul 28 2022 02:16 am

To stop avatars from being displayed in the message header, is there a preferred method besides creating a msghdr.asc? I like the current/default headers, but the avatars screw them up in some terminals (on old computers). The example file shows a simpler header than the default one.

Change the MsgHdrBodySeparator line in your ctrl/text.dat file to just "\r\n".

Could you provide screen shots for this "screwed up" message headers on some terminals (old computers)? I'd prefer to fix that issue, but have never seen it myself.
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #16:
    David St. Hubbins: I believe virtually everything I read...
    Norco, CA WX: 86.3øF, 37.0% humidity, 10 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Phigan@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Jul 29 17:09:34 2022
    By: Digital Man to Phigan on Thu Jul 28 2022 02:43 pm

Could you provide screen shots for this "screwed up" message headers on some terminals (old computers)? I'd prefer to fix that issue, but have never seen it myself.

Sure, I will get a picture. It happens when it first draws the regular headers, then moves the cursor up to draw the avatar. It works fine on some computers, but not others. Thanks for the text.dat tip.

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Phigan on Sat Jul 30 08:46:24 2022
    By: Phigan to Digital Man on Fri Jul 29 2022 05:09 pm

Sure, I will get a picture. It happens when it first draws the regular headers, then moves the cursor up to draw the avatar. It works fine on some computers, but not others. Thanks for the text.dat tip.

Which "others"?
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #37:
    FTSC = FidoNet Technical Standards Committee
    Norco, CA WX: 69.9øF, 76.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Phigan@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat Jul 30 10:15:02 2022

Could you provide screen shots for this "screwed up" message headers on some terminals (old computers)? I'd prefer to fix that issue, but have never seen

Had to test these again as I couldn't remember exactly what combination did what. I'm using two different terminals on the C64, StrikeTerm2014 for 80 column ANSI and CCGMS Future for 80 column PETSCII. They both (try to) do what the other one does as well, but they fail miserably at it.

This is the message headers getting displayed when using 80 column PETSCII in CCGMS Future:

https://i.imgur.com/TV59853.mp4

On another note, this is what happens when loading the main menu from StrikeTerm2014 using 80 column ANSI (it keeps thinking an invalid command was pressed and displays the main menu over again):

https://i.imgur.com/WIFCAcV.mp4

As you can see, though, the avatar is displayed correctly, albeit a little slow than with other platforms. CCGMS Future using ANSI can't load the main menu on one page at all, though... It tries to draw some, clears the screen, draws some more, etc.

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Phigan on Sat Jul 30 14:14:31 2022
    By: Phigan to Digital Man on Sat Jul 30 2022 10:15 am

Could you provide screen shots for this "screwed up" message headers on some terminals (old computers)? I'd prefer to fix that issue, but have never seen

Had to test these again as I couldn't remember exactly what combination did what. I'm using two different terminals on the C64, StrikeTerm2014 for 80 column ANSI and CCGMS Future for 80 column PETSCII. They both (try to) do what the other one does as well, but they fail miserably at it.

This is the message headers getting displayed when using 80 column PETSCII in CCGMS Future:

https://i.imgur.com/TV59853.mp4

Does that terminal work better (with message header/avatar display) if you have [C] Clear Screen Between Messages: On for the user viewing the messages?

On another note, this is what happens when loading the main menu from StrikeTerm2014 using 80 column ANSI (it keeps thinking an invalid command was pressed and displays the main menu over again):

https://i.imgur.com/WIFCAcV.mp4

Do you have mouse support enabled for that user (under terminal settings of the user)? It possible that second terminal doesn't support (all of) ANSI correctly.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #9:
    One likes to believe in the freedom of ... baseball!
    Norco, CA WX: 90.1øF, 43.0% humidity, 10 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Phigan@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat Jul 30 18:17:28 2022
    By: Digital Man to Phigan on Sat Jul 30 2022 02:14 pm

Does that terminal work better (with message header/avatar display) if you have [C] Clear Screen Between Messages: On for the user viewing the messages?

Yes! When I have clear screen between messages on, it draws the headers at the top of the page, then slowly goes back up and draws the avatar after that, and doesn't mess up the message headers.

Do you have mouse support enabled for that user (under terminal settings of the user)? It possible that second terminal doesn't support (all of) ANSI correctly.

I made sure to set the defaults while logged in with that user in that same mode, and I always disable the mouse reporting anyway, but even with the 'auto' stuff turned off it still has the same problem of thinking I pressed an invalid character. The same thing happens on another BBS where the main menu is entirely changed up, so it makes me think it's something from the prompt maybe.

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Phigan on Mon Aug 1 13:19:40 2022
    By: Phigan to Digital Man on Sat Jul 30 2022 06:17 pm

By: Digital Man to Phigan on Sat Jul 30 2022 02:14 pm

Yes! When I have clear screen between messages on, it draws the headers at the top of the page, then slowly goes back up and draws the avatar after that, and doesn't mess up the message headers.

Interesting. Sounds like that terminal does something different or unexpected with regards to PETSCII cursor-up codes. I'd probably have to experiment with the client/terminal to find out more, but don't expect to be doing that any time soon.

I made sure to set the defaults while logged in with that user in that same mode, and I always disable the mouse reporting anyway, but even with the 'auto' stuff turned off it still has the same problem of thinking I pressed an invalid character. The same thing happens on another BBS where the main menu is entirely changed up, so it makes me think it's something from the prompt maybe.

Could be the prompt. Or something in the menu "head" or "tail" files. Experimenting with those files could give the answer, but that doesn't mean necessarily that the solution is to change something on the BBS-side. Would need more information/experimentation to know better how to proceed (without just simply disabling features/things).
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #33:
    The Synchronet web user interface was contributed by Robert Couture, Runemaster Norco, CA WX: 90.6øF, 36.0% humidity, 9 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Phigan@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat Aug 6 03:15:26 2022
    By: Digital Man to Phigan on Mon Aug 01 2022 01:19 pm

unexpected with regards to PETSCII cursor-up codes. I'd probably have to experiment with the client/terminal to find out more, but don't expect to be

No problem. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with testing/experimentation, should you ever need it.

Could be the prompt. Or something in the menu "head" or "tail" files. Experimenting with those files could give the answer, but that doesn't mean

As for the redrawing of the menu screen, it actually stops if I lower the baud rate down to 2400. So, obviously a crappy serial connection issue. I tested the message header thing, though, and it happens at no matter what the speed.

---