• TCP_NODELAY

From Dream Master@1:103/705 to All on Thu Mar 21 16:28:04 2019
    I'm getting an interesting error message during the start-up of the system. As
    I'm a Linux guy at heart, I converted the system to run exclusively on Linux. When looking at the syslog output, I'm getting this during system startup:

synchronet: term SSH Server listening on socket xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 22 synchronet: evnt BBS Events thread started
    synchronet: term 0030 !ERROR 95 setting socket option (TCP_NODELAY, 1) to 1 synchronet: term Node 1 local spy using socket localspy1.sock
    synchronet: term 0031 !ERROR 95 setting socket option (TCP_NODELAY, 1) to 1 synchronet: term Node 2 local spy using socket localspy2.sock
    synchronet: term 0032 !ERROR 95 setting socket option (TCP_NODELAY, 1) to 1 synchronet: term Node 3 local spy using socket localspy3.sock
    synchronet: term 0033 !ERROR 95 setting socket option (TCP_NODELAY, 1) to 1 synchronet: term Node 4 local spy using socket localspy4.sock
    synchronet: term Terminal Server thread started for nodes 1 through 4

There is no conflict on port 22 and the system comes up without issue. I loathe startup error messages and this one iritates me. Thoughts?

Dream Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Dream Master on Thu Mar 21 15:48:48 2019
    Re: TCP_NODELAY
    By: Dream Master to All on Thu Mar 21 2019 04:28 pm

I'm getting an interesting error message during the start-up of the system. As I'm a Linux guy at heart, I converted the system to run exclusively on Linux. When looking at the syslog output, I'm getting this during system startup:

synchronet: term SSH Server listening on socket xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 22 synchronet: evnt BBS Events thread started
    synchronet: term 0030 !ERROR 95 setting socket option (TCP_NODELAY, 1) to 1 synchronet: term Node 1 local spy using socket localspy1.sock

There is no conflict on port 22 and the system comes up without issue. I loathe startup error messages and this one iritates me. Thoughts?

It has to do with the node-spy socket(s), not SSH or Telnet. The spy sockets are Unix Domain sockets (not TCP), so the TCP_NODELAY option cannot be set on them. Try getting the latest ctrl/sockopts.ini file from CVS where the TCP_NODELAY option is only in the [tcp] section. http://cvs.synchro.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ctrl/sockopts.ini

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #10:
    Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year... just not widely reported. Norco, CA WX: 56.8øF, 72.0% humidity, 2 mph NNW wind, 0.68 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Dream Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Mar 21 20:24:02 2019
    By: Digital Man to Dream Master on Thu Mar 21 2019 03:48 pm

It has to do with the node-spy socket(s), not SSH or Telnet. The spy
    sockets
    are Unix Domain sockets (not TCP), so the TCP_NODELAY option cannot be set on them. Try getting the latest ctrl/sockopts.ini file from CVS where the TCP_NODELAY option is only in the [tcp] section. http://cvs.synchro.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ctrl/sockopts.ini

I'm still receiving the errors after applying the new sockopts.ini.

term 0024 !ERROR 95 setting socket option (TCP_NODELAY, 1) to 1
    term Node 1 local spy using socket localspy1.sock

Thoughts?

Dream Master

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Dream Master on Fri Mar 22 01:40:05 2019
    By: Dream Master to Digital Man on Thu Mar 21 2019 08:24 pm

By: Digital Man to Dream Master on Thu Mar 21 2019 03:48 pm

It has to do with the node-spy socket(s), not SSH or Telnet. The spy sockets are Unix Domain sockets (not TCP), so the TCP_NODELAY option cannot be set on them. Try getting the latest ctrl/sockopts.ini file
    from
    CVS where the TCP_NODELAY option is only in the [tcp] section. http://cvs.synchro.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ctrl/sockopts.ini

I'm still receiving the errors after applying the new sockopts.ini.

term 0024 !ERROR 95 setting socket option (TCP_NODELAY, 1) to 1
    term Node 1 local spy using socket localspy1.sock

Thoughts?

According to your message PID, you're running Synchronet 3.17b (released Jan-1-2019) and what you're describing sounds like a problem that was addressed
    on Jan-12-2019 in v3.17c:
    http://cvs.synchro.net/commitlog.ssjs#37683

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #73:
    SyncTERM (created by Deuce) contains portions of Synchronet and SEXYZ code. Norco, CA WX: 47.2øF, 90.0% humidity, 0 mph WSW wind, 0.04 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Dream Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Mar 22 14:36:39 2019
    By: Digital Man to Dream Master on Fri Mar 22 2019 01:40 am

According to your message PID, you're running Synchronet 3.17b (released Jan-1-2019) and what you're describing sounds like a problem that was addressed on Jan-12-2019 in v3.17c: http://cvs.synchro.net/commitlog.ssjs#37683

Ahhhhh, time to flip the switch and upgrade to 3.17c.

Thank you for the clarification. I'll fix that right now.

Best regards,

Dream Master

---