• readdressing mis-addressed FTN netmails

From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to all on Thu Mar 21 11:19:08 2019

is there an easy way i can readdress mis-addressed FTN netmails to the proper address so my system can send them on to the real destination?

explanation: from time to time my system receives routed FTN netmails that are mis-addressed... basically, they have the wrong address (one of my system addresses) for the destination user... i'm hoping this would be done with some tool to alter the MSG file in my /sbbs/netmail directory so sbbsecho will see it the next time it runs and pack it to the destination according to my routing setup... i know i could maybe hex edit the message in question but that's a dance with the devil i don't care to participate in...

on my old FD/RA/FE setup, the netmail would be easily accessible and i could edit it with my normal sysop editor to change the destination address as well as to possibly add a note at the top maybe explaining the delay...

the only other choice is to bounce the message back to the sender with a note that the destination user is not a user at the address it was sent to but there's no easy way to do that, either...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
    Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... I feel like a mushroom; I'm kept in the dark and feed BS all day!
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to mark lewis on Thu Mar 21 13:33:48 2019
    Re: readdressing mis-addressed FTN netmails
    By: mark lewis to all on Thu Mar 21 2019 11:19 am

is there an easy way i can readdress mis-addressed FTN netmails to the proper address so my system can send them on to the real destination?

explanation: from time to time my system receives routed FTN netmails that are mis-addressed... basically, they have the wrong address (one of my system addresses) for the destination user... i'm hoping this would be
    done
    with some tool to alter the MSG file in my /sbbs/netmail directory so sbbsecho will see it the next time it runs and pack it to the destination according to my routing
    setup... i know i could maybe hex edit the message in question but that's a dance with the devil i don't care to participate in...

on my old FD/RA/FE setup, the netmail would be easily accessible and i
    could
    edit it with my normal sysop editor to change the destination address as well as to possibly add a note at the top maybe explaining the delay...

I haven't written a FTN "stored message" (*.msg file) editor, but I'm sure someone has. Have you looked through archives of fido utilities online?

the only other choice is to bounce the message back to the sender with a note that the destination user is not a user at the address it was sent to but there's no easy way to do that, either...

Yup, don't have that either.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #74:
    UART = Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter
    Norco, CA WX: 53.2øF, 81.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.69 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to mark lewis on Fri Mar 22 08:00:00 2019
    On 03-21-19 11:19, mark lewis wrote to all <=-

explanation: from time to time my system receives routed FTN netmails
    that are mis-addressed... basically, they have the wrong address (one
    of my system addresses) for the destination user... i'm hoping this
    would be done with some tool to alter the MSG file in my /sbbs/netmail directory so sbbsecho will see it the next time it runs and pack it to
    the destination according to my routing setup... i know i could maybe
    hex edit the message in question but that's a dance with the devil i
    don't care to participate in...

Back in the DOS days, there was a utility called (I think) NetMgr, which was able to do just that. I used to use it to allow my GIGO gateway to handle multiple zones, by giving each zone a virtual gateway address. NetMgr would see messages addressed to those virtual addresses and redirect them to the real
    (Fidonet) address of the gateway. For incoming netmails (from email). it would
    replace the Fidonet source address with the correct AKA for the destination zone.

I don't know if there's anything like that around now.

... Wedding rings: The world's smallest handcuffs.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Digital Man on Fri Mar 22 11:51:14 2019

On 2019 Mar 21 13:33:48, you wrote to me:

on my old FD/RA/FE setup, the netmail would be easily accessible and i
    could edit it with my normal sysop editor to change the destination
    address as well as to possibly add a note at the top maybe explaining
    the delay...

I haven't written a FTN "stored message" (*.msg file) editor, but I'm
    sure someone has. Have you looked through archives of fido utilities online?

yes and no... i could maybe use TimEd or similar but i'm not sure how well the *nix ports work... that might be the way to go, though... i just hadn't really thought about it since i've been trying to stay with native sbbs tools...

the only other choice is to bounce the message back to the sender with
    a note that the destination user is not a user at the address it was
    sent to but there's no easy way to do that, either...

Yup, don't have that either.

yeah, timed's partner, netmgr, would be handy like that... again, though, it would be a port from DOS to *nix... i'm just a bit uncertain about them... hummm...

)\/(ark

Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... Never draw fire, it irritates everyone around you.
    ---
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Tony Langdon on Fri Mar 22 11:55:24 2019

On 2019 Mar 22 08:00:00, you wrote to me:

explanation: from time to time my system receives routed FTN netmails
    that are mis-addressed... basically, they have the wrong address (one
    of my system addresses) for the destination user... i'm hoping this
    would be done with some tool to alter the MSG file in my
    /sbbs/netmail directory so sbbsecho will see it the next time it runs
    and pack it to the destination according to my routing setup... i
    know i could maybe hex edit the message in question but that's a
    dance with the devil i don't care to participate in...

Back in the DOS days, there was a utility called (I think) NetMgr, which was able to do just that.

yup... i used it all the time on my OS/2 system before Hurricane Florence shut us down for several weeks and the system didn't remember how to init the drives when we got power back...

yeah, they're still around and have been ported to *nix... i'm not sure about the ports, though... in at least one or two cases, the message area library was changed from the original author's to another... i forget the details but i stayed away from them as i preferred to use my original paid-for licensed copy with the y2k patch applied...

)\/(ark

... People who think they know it all are annoying to those of us who do.
    ---
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to mark lewis on Sat Mar 23 06:44:00 2019
    On 03-22-19 11:55, mark lewis wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

yup... i used it all the time on my OS/2 system before Hurricane
    Florence shut us down for several weeks and the system didn't remember
    how to init the drives when we got power back...

Cool. Was a very handy utility.

yeah, they're still around and have been ported to *nix... i'm not sure about the ports, though... in at least one or two cases, the message
    area library was changed from the original author's to another... i
    forget the details but i stayed away from them as i preferred to use my original paid-for licensed copy with the y2k patch applied...

Fair enough. I might look up the ports one of these days. Being on a Pi, DOS doesn't fit into my environment well, and I doubt I have the Y2K patch on my copy anyway.

... Teamwork is critical; it allows you to blame someone else.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)