• libarchive

From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed Apr 13 10:36:02 2022
    Hi DM,

I was going back and reading some of the details about the new libarchive support that was posted last year (I didn't do much with my BBS for several months last year). In one of your announcement posts, you had mentioned the libarchive support, and that compressable/extractable archive support doesn't need to be configured in SCFG anymore. You also mentioned that archive support has been integrated into sbbsecho to pack/unpack archives. I had a couple questions:

For the compressable/extractable archive types in SCFG, does that mean we could remove the entries for ZIP files and Synchronet will automatically use libarchive for ZIP files? (I have some commands in there for less-common archive types such as ARJ, RAR, etc. and thought of leaving those but removing the ZIP commands.)

Similarly, in echocfg, if I remove the ZIP archive type, will sbbsecho use libarchive to pack/unpack ZIP files?

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Wed Apr 13 13:42:37 2022
    Re: libarchive
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Wed Apr 13 2022 10:36 am

Hi DM,

I was going back and reading some of the details about the new libarchive support that was posted last year (I didn't do much with my BBS for several months last year). In one of your announcement posts, you had mentioned the libarchive support, and that compressable/extractable archive support doesn't need to be configured in SCFG anymore. You also mentioned that archive support has been integrated into sbbsecho to pack/unpack archives.
    I had a couple questions:

For the compressable/extractable archive types in SCFG, does that mean we could remove the entries for ZIP files and Synchronet will automatically use libarchive for ZIP files? (I have some commands in there for less-common archive types such as ARJ, RAR, etc. and thought of leaving those but removing the ZIP commands.)

Yes, you can remove those (for RAR files too!). For viewing archives (for all supported formats) using libarchive, install the archive.js module ('jsexec archive.js install').

Similarly, in echocfg, if I remove the ZIP archive type, will sbbsecho use libarchive to pack/unpack ZIP files?

Unfortunately, libarchive can't be used to *update* an existing archive, so it's integration in SBBSecho was limited to *extracting* archives. So you'll still want the ZIP (et al) archive type configured in EchoCfg for the creation/updating of archived bundles.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #38:
    Don't drink and drive, but when you do, call Saul.
    Norco, CA WX: 69.4øF, 21.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed Apr 13 14:28:10 2022
    Re: libarchive
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Apr 13 2022 01:42 pm

For the compressable/extractable archive types in SCFG, does that mean
    we could remove the entries for ZIP files and Synchronet will
    automatically use libarchive for ZIP files? (I have some commands in
    there for less-common archive types such as ARJ, RAR, etc. and thought
    of leaving those but
    removing the ZIP commands.)

Yes, you can remove those (for RAR files too!). For viewing archives (for all supported formats) using libarchive, install the archive.js module ('jsexec archive.js install').

Similarly, in echocfg, if I remove the ZIP archive type, will

Unfortunately, libarchive can't be used to *update* an existing archive, so it's integration in SBBSecho was limited to *extracting* archives. So you'll still want the ZIP (et al) archive type configured in EchoCfg for the creation/updating of archived bundles. --

Thanks!

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com