• Internet E-Mail Development Suggestion

From Dream Master@1:103/705 to All on Wed Mar 20 10:03:52 2019
    Good day! E-Mail security and spam prevention is becoming more relevant as approximately 53.5% of all e-mail traffic worldwide is spam. There's been numerous enhancements made to e-mail including Sender Policy Framework (SPF), Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC), and DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM). Currently, and from everything I've reviewed, Synchronet has no ability to embed DKIM header information into outbound e-mail.

The advantage of DKIM is the outbound message is signed with a private key. With the combination of the signed message and the DNS record selector (allowing multiple subdomains to coexist), the message is effectively validated
    from source. When the receiver reviews the header and inspects the public DNS record, the message is validated.

More information can be found at dkim.org. Within Synchronet, I'd like the ability to embed DKIM into the outbound message header. The creation of the certificates (public/private) should remain in the hands of the individual SysOp (OpenSSL, Cygwin, PuttyGen, etc.) but the private key location and the hashing of the message (and placement into the header) should become a function
    of the Internet E-Mail module.

What do you think?

Dream Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to Dream Master on Wed Mar 20 17:18:52 2019
    Good day! E-Mail security and spam prevention is becoming more relevant as approximately 53.5% of all e-mail traffic worldwide is spam. There's been numerous enhancements made to e-mail including Sender Policy Framework (SPF), Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC), and DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM). Currently, and from everything I've reviewed, Synchronet has no ability to embed DKIM header information into outbound e-mail.

The advantage of DKIM is the outbound message is signed with a private key. With the combination of the signed message and the DNS record selector (allowing multiple subdomains to coexist), the message is effectively validated from source. When the receiver reviews the header and inspects the public DNS record, the message is validated.

More information can be found at dkim.org. Within Synchronet, I'd like the ability to embed DKIM into the outbound message header. The creation of
    the
    certificates (public/private) should remain in the hands of the individual SysOp (OpenSSL, Cygwin, PuttyGen, etc.) but the private key location and
    the
    hashing of the message (and placement into the header) should become a function of the Internet E-Mail module.

What do you think?

Dream Master

perhaps just a semaphore would suffice ...

The Granny Lane, where seasoned drivers slow down and smell the blacktop roses

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Dream Master on Wed Mar 20 14:52:15 2019
    Re: Internet E-Mail Development Suggestion
    By: Dream Master to All on Wed Mar 20 2019 10:03 am

More information can be found at dkim.org. Within Synchronet, I'd like the ability to embed DKIM into the outbound message header.

I'll add it to the todo list, but it's not (currently at least) a frequently asked for feature.

But of course, if you have any C/C++ skills, the source is open. :-)

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #26:
    David St. Hubbins: They were still booing him when we came on stage.
    Norco, CA WX: 56.5øF, 72.0% humidity, 9 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Dream Master@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Thu Mar 21 00:03:18 2019
    Re: Re: Internet E-Mail Development Suggestion
    By: Mortifis to Dream Master on Wed Mar 20 2019 05:18 pm

perhaps just a semaphore would suffice ...

I don't believe so. Each message is unique and certified by the combination of
    a public/private certificate hash and the hash existing within a TXT DNS record.

Dream Master

---
  • From Dream Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Mar 21 00:06:08 2019
    Re: Internet E-Mail Development Suggestion
    By: Digital Man to Dream Master on Wed Mar 20 2019 02:52 pm

But of course, if you have any C/C++ skills, the source is open. :-)

I will be in Germany for a month... (sleep, what sleep?)

Dream Master

---