• FTP blind uploads off/broken by default or currently?

From Trikester@1:103/705 to All on Fri Nov 26 14:32:15 2021
    I've been scouring the Synchro docs/wiki for an answer to this - I have 2 systems that are nearly completely stock, and I haven't touched the file sections on them at this time.

I am expecting FTP blind uploads to function and go to the Blind Uploads (data/dirs/uploads) section on the system, but with a regular logged in user on each, they refuse with:

"<USERNAME> !attempted to upload to invalid directory"

And that's as far as the logs go, even in debug mode.

The user can CD to main/uploads and upload without issue, but from what I can tell, a blind upload *has* to work for QWK networking/reply packets to upload successfully, correct?

I hope I'm missing a switch somewhere that I am just not seeing... but, the docs suggest we just need an area with a short name of Uploads, correct?

---
    þ Synchronet þ ... The Basement ... Not really open yet.
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Trikester on Sun Nov 28 00:09:31 2021
    Re: FTP blind uploads off/broken by default or currently?
    By: Trikester to All on Fri Nov 26 2021 02:32 pm

I've been scouring the Synchro docs/wiki for an answer to this - I have 2 systems that are nearly completely stock, and I haven't touched the file sections on them at this time.

I am expecting FTP blind uploads to function and go to the Blind Uploads (data/dirs/uploads) section on the system, but with a regular logged in user on each, they refuse with:

"<USERNAME> !attempted to upload to invalid directory"

And that's as far as the logs go, even in debug mode.

The user can CD to main/uploads and upload without issue,

That looks correct and as expected. With FTP, the user has to either specify the path to your uploads directory in the upload command or they have the "change" the current working directory to the uploads directory before uploading to the current directory.

but from what I
    can tell, a blind upload *has* to work for QWK networking/reply packets to upload successfully, correct?

No. QWK reply packets (.REP files) are uploaded to the FTP root directory.

I hope I'm missing a switch somewhere that I am just not seeing... but, the docs suggest we just need an area with a short name of Uploads, correct?

That's correct, but it has nothing to do with QWK/REP uploading.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #29:
    FDSZ = FOSSIL DSZ (by Chuck Forsberg)
    Norco, CA WX: 60.1øF, 30.0% humidity, 0 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Trikester@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Nov 28 19:28:16 2021
    By: Digital Man to Trikester on Sun Nov 28 2021 12:09 am

That looks correct and as expected. With FTP, the user has to either specify the path to your uploads directory in the upload
    command or they have the "change" the current working directory to the uploads directory before uploading to the current
    directory.
    I hope I'm missing a switch somewhere that I am just not seeing... but, the docs suggest we just need an area with a short
    name
    of Uploads, correct?

OK, I'm a little confused by what I'm seeing then. One system did try doing a QNET Upload to the other system, and that system replied with "553 Invalid directory"

"Nov 26 13:11:57 home synchronet: evnt QNET Upload of /sbbs/data/DOVEMOD.REP failed: Error: STOR DOVEMOD.REP failed: 553 Invalid directory."

The FTP server config on both systems has ALLOW_QWK on it.

So.. that's the confusing QWK part of things.

For the rest of it - when blind uploading is supposedly or supposed to be working, a user still has to specify the upload path, can't just dump in to root and expect it to get moved to that area defined with the short name of Uploads?

---
    þ Synchronet þ ... The Basement ... Not really open yet.
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Trikester on Sun Nov 28 19:50:56 2021
    By: Trikester to Digital Man on Sun Nov 28 2021 07:28 pm

That looks correct and as expected. With FTP, the user has to either specify the path to your uploads directory in the upload command or they have the "change" the current working directory to the uploads directory before uploading to the current directory.
    I hope I'm missing a switch somewhere that I am just not seeing... but, the docs suggest we just need an area with a short name
    of Uploads, correct?

OK, I'm a little confused by what I'm seeing then. One system did try doing a QNET Upload to the other system, and that system replied with "553 Invalid directory"

"Nov 26 13:11:57 home synchronet: evnt QNET Upload of /sbbs/data/DOVEMOD.REP failed: Error: STOR DOVEMOD.REP failed: 553 Invalid directory."

Is "DOVEMOD" the QWK ID of the server being uploaded to? Seems like you're just trying to upload the wrong filename.

For the rest of it - when blind uploading is supposedly or supposed to be working, a user still has to specify the upload path, can't just dump in to root and expect it to get moved to that area defined with the short name of Uploads?

When using FTP, that's correct.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #17:
    Charles Bushman: A shovel just makes too goddamned much racket.
    Norco, CA WX: 67.7øF, 38.0% humidity, 1 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Trikester on Mon Nov 29 11:19:32 2021
    By: Digital Man to Trikester on Sun Nov 28 2021 07:50 pm

By: Trikester to Digital Man on Sun Nov 28 2021 07:28 pm

I hope I'm missing a switch somewhere that I am just not seeing... but, the docs suggest we just need an area with a short name
    of Uploads, correct?

Is "DOVEMOD" the QWK ID of the server being uploaded to? Seems like you're just trying to upload the wrong filename.

Your system BSMNTQQ just uploaded over 100 duplicate messages that appear to be cross-linked from SYNCDATA into the DOVE-Net Sysops sub. I've removed posting privilages from this QWKnet account until you can confirm that you've identified and resolved the issue.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #3:
    The men who hold high places must be the ones who start... Closer to the Heart Norco, CA WX: 79.9øF, 20.0% humidity, 0 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Trikester@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 29 13:51:28 2021
    By: Digital Man to Trikester on Mon Nov 29 2021 11:19 am

Your system BSMNTQQ just uploaded over 100 duplicate messages that appear to be cross-linked from SYNCDATA into the DOVE-Net
    Sysops
    sub. I've removed posting privilages from this QWKnet account until you can confirm that you've identified and resolved the
    issue.

My apologies for the noise. I've been doing a bunch of reconfiguring and that node shouldn't call Vertrauen any longer.

I believe leaving some QWK conference numbers as 'dynamic' and letting things roll caused the issue, and I've been fixing and setting static conference #'s the past hour.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The DOVE-Net Moderation Hub
  • From Trikester@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 29 13:53:36 2021
    By: Digital Man to Trikester on Sun Nov 28 2021 07:50 pm

I facepalmed when I realized I'd put a '1' at the end of the hub's QWK ID.

Of course now I've created noise by letting things roll through. Hopefully all is cleaned up now.

When using FTP, that's correct.

Thanks for that clarification too.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The DOVE-Net Moderation Hub
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Trikester on Mon Nov 29 16:47:03 2021
    By: Trikester to Digital Man on Mon Nov 29 2021 01:51 pm

My apologies for the noise. I've been doing a bunch of reconfiguring and that node shouldn't call Vertrauen any longer.

Okay, but what is this "The DOVE-Net Moderation Hub" all about?

I believe leaving some QWK conference numbers as 'dynamic' and letting things roll caused the issue, and I've been fixing and setting static conference #'s the past hour.

What does "letting things roll" mean?

Static vs. dynamic conference numbering only affects a system when it is a QWK *hub*. That setting would have no impact on a QWK node.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #27:
    Growing up it all seems so one-sided, opinions all provided
    Norco, CA WX: 74.7øF, 25.0% humidity, 4 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux