• Moving Msg Sub-boards

From John Dovey@1:103/705 to All on Fri May 28 14:07:21 2021
    Hi,
    I want to reorganise my various fidonet echos. I made the mistake of having them all in one message group, and I'd like to change that. Is it possible to move a sub-board from one group to another?

Thanks
    John

John
    ---
    * El Gato de Fuego * 4:92/69 (FidoNet) * Pedasi, Panama

John

... Heads will have to roll!
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ El Gato de Fuego - Pedasi, Panama - gatofueg.synchro.net
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to John Dovey on Fri May 28 13:06:53 2021
    Re: Moving Msg Sub-boards
    By: John Dovey to All on Fri May 28 2021 02:07 pm

Hi,
    I want to reorganise my various fidonet echos. I made the mistake of having them all in one message group, and I'd like to change that. Is it possible to move a sub-board from one group to another?

Yes, you can cut and paste message sub-boards between message groups in SCFG (one at a time).
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #40:
    Morty the Mime: Come on, don't talk back, mime is money, come on, move it. Norco, CA WX: 75.2øF, 48.0% humidity, 3 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From John Dovey@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri May 28 19:30:54 2021
    By: Digital Man to John Dovey on Fri May 28 2021 13:06:53

having them all in one message group, and I'd like to change that. Is
    it possible to move a sub-board from one group to another?

Yes, you can cut and paste message sub-boards between message groups in SCFG (one at a time).
    Awesome. Thank you! Works perfectly..
    JD

John
    ---
    * El Gato de Fuego * 4:92/69 (FidoNet) * Pedasi, Panama

John

... My hard disk is full! Maybe I'll try this message section thing.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ El Gato de Fuego - Pedasi, Panama - gatofueg.synchro.net
  • From Boondock@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon May 31 18:51:53 2021

Ok,
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something or not doing something correctly, but here's my situation.

I create a new Message area. For the sake of argument, call it "FIDOADMIN" with "FIDO_AD" as the internel prefix.

I then go to the Fidonet area, Ctrl-x a sub-board (FN_SYSOPS) which has the internal code "Fidonet_FN_SYSOPS) and paste it into the FIDOADMIN group. It now has the internal code of FIDO_AD_FN_SYSOPS.

In the Areas.bbs file, the old prefix is still used, so I get a message that Fidonet_FN_SYSOPS isn't found (assuming passthru).

The only way I can figure to sort this out is to manually edit the areas.bbs file. If I export the message group, then I have to manually add the "links" which gets complicated.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

JD
    ---
    BoonDock
    El Gato de Fuego - elgato.synchronetbbs.org 4:92/1 - Pedasi/Panama

... I want to write a mystery novel...or do I?
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from El Gato de Fuego * The Fire Cat * elgato.synchronetbbs.org
  • From Ragnarok@1:103/705 to Boondock on Mon May 31 17:38:28 2021
    El 31/5/21 a las 20:51, Boondock escribió:

>> it possible to move a sub-board from one group to another?
    DM> Yes, you can cut and paste message sub-boards between message groups in
    DM> SCFG (one at a time).

Ok,
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something or not doing something correctly, but here's my situation.

I create a new Message area. For the sake of argument, call it "FIDOADMIN" with "FIDO_AD" as the internel prefix.

I then go to the Fidonet area, Ctrl-x a sub-board (FN_SYSOPS) which has the internal code "Fidonet_FN_SYSOPS) and paste it into the FIDOADMIN group. It now has the internal code of FIDO_AD_FN_SYSOPS.

In the Areas.bbs file, the old prefix is still used, so I get a message that Fidonet_FN_SYSOPS isn't found (assuming passthru).

The only way I can figure to sort this out is to manually edit the areas.bbs file. If I export the message group, then I have to manually add the "links" which gets complicated.

i think that you must manually edit the file. (its the secure way)

---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Boondock on Mon May 31 17:07:18 2021
    By: Boondock to Digital Man on Mon May 31 2021 06:51 pm

By: Digital Man to John Dovey on
    Fri May 28 2021 13:06:53

Ok,

I assume the internal code is changing because you're using internal code prefixes.

Nope, that sounds correct. If you don't have any downlinks, you don't actually need an area file (areas.bbs) at all.
    https://wiki.synchro.net/util:sbbsecho#area_file
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #21:
    So when you're playing you feel like a preserved moose on stage?
    Norco, CA WX: 77.4øF, 53.0% humidity, 10 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Boondock@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Tue Jun 1 00:36:19 2021
    By: Digital Man to Boondock on Mon May 31 2021 17:07:18

Nope, that sounds correct. If you don't have any downlinks, you don't actually need an area file (areas.bbs) at all. https://wiki.synchro.net/util:sbbsecho#area_file
    Ok. Thanks

I assume the internal code is changing because you're using internal code prefixes.

I hadn't realised that I didn't need to.
    That would make things a lot less complicated. Thanks

John
    ---
    BoonDock
    El Gato de Fuego - elgato.synchronetbbs.org 4:92/1 - Pedasi/Panama

... Anything anybody can say about America is true.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from El Gato de Fuego * The Fire Cat * elgato.synchronetbbs.org
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Boondock on Mon May 31 18:33:12 2021
    By: Boondock to Digital Man on Tue Jun 01 2021 12:36 am

By: Digital Man to Boondock on
    Mon May 31 2021 17:07:18

Nope, that sounds correct. If you don't have any downlinks, you don't actually need an area file (areas.bbs) at all. https://wiki.synchro.net/util:sbbsecho#area_file
    Ok. Thanks

I hadn't realised that I didn't need to.
    That would make things a lot less complicated. Thanks

Internal code prefixes are generally a *good* thing and can make the organization of the message bases easier, but it does change the message area's internal code when you move a sub-board from one group to another.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #12:
    Hiding beneath the sheets, got to try and fill the void...
    Norco, CA WX: 74.8øF, 57.0% humidity, 8 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux