• OOPS??

From Lupine Furmen@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat Apr 24 19:06:40 2021
    Hey Rob, Did you MEAN to use the same field for both Fido ID and UUCP ID? Really need a seperate field for the UUCP ID.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

Dallas

... Mother Nature is a Bitch.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Lupine Furmen on Sat Apr 24 21:31:17 2021
    Re: OOPS??
    By: Lupine Furmen to Digital Man on Sat Apr 24 2021 07:06 pm

Hey Rob, Did you MEAN to use the same field for both Fido ID and UUCP ID? Really need a seperate field for the UUCP ID.

There's no "UUCP ID". Perhaps you're referring to Message-IDs? I'm not sure.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #9:
    One likes to believe in the freedom of ... baseball!
    Norco, CA WX: 55.0øF, 83.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:103/705 to DIGITAL MAN on Sun Apr 25 09:10:00 2021

There's no "UUCP ID". Perhaps you're referring to Message-IDs? I'm not sure.

I think he means the newsgroup name (UUCP ID). They appear separate to me
    but maybe he has found somewhere that they get intertwined?

* SLMR 2.1a * Wind in my hair - shifting and drifting...

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Lupine Furmen@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Apr 25 12:03:29 2021
    By: Digital Man to Lupine Furmen on Sat Apr 24 2021 21:31:17

scfg/Message Areas/*group*/Mesage Sub-Boards/*Message Base*/Newsgroup Name

It says in the help that the field is used for both the Newsgroup name AND the Fido Echo-tag.

These really should be 2 different fields.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson

Dallas

... Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat, though.

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Lupine Furmen on Sun Apr 25 15:30:00 2021
    By: Lupine Furmen to Digital Man on Sun Apr 25 2021 12:03 pm

It says in the help that the field is used for both the Newsgroup name AND the Fido Echo-tag.

Why?

Each sub's echotag is actually configred in your area file (data/areas.bbs) - so you can't use whatever you like. It does not *have* to match the newsgroup name.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #82:
    Telix = Commercial MS-DOS and Windows communications/terminal program
    Norco, CA WX: 66.8øF, 52.0% humidity, 12 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:103/705 to DIGITAL MAN on Mon Apr 26 14:28:00 2021

Why?

Each sub's echotag is actually configred in your area file (data/areas.bbs) -
    you can't use whatever you like. It does not *have* to match the newsgroup na

If you use the SCFG to "Export Areas" and choose AREAS.BBS to *create* your AREAS.BBS file, I have not tried it but apparently Lupine has and it
    put the newsgroup name value in the FTN echotag field. I think that is why
    he thinks they need to match, and also has found that his newsreaders don't like an FTN-style echotag being used as a newsgroup name.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Cool! I broke his brain!" - Bart on Principal Skinner

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Mike Powell on Mon Apr 26 12:23:57 2021
    By: Mike Powell to DIGITAL MAN on Mon Apr 26 2021 02:28 pm

Why?

Each sub's echotag is actually configred in your area file (data/areas.bbs) -
    you can't use whatever you like. It does not *have* to match the newsgroup na

If you use the SCFG to "Export Areas" and choose AREAS.BBS to *create* your AREAS.BBS file, I have not tried it but apparently Lupine has and it
    put the newsgroup name value in the FTN echotag field. I think that is why he thinks they need to match, and also has found that his newsreaders don't like an FTN-style echotag being used as a newsgroup name.

Please provide more details. An "FTN-style echotag" is just a string of ASCII characters with underscores or dots as word separators (no spaces). They should be useable as newsgroup names as far as I can tell.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #15:
    CP437 = Code Page 437 (so-called IBM Extended ASCII)
    Norco, CA WX: 60.0øF, 60.0% humidity, 11 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Acn@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Tue Apr 27 02:52:17 2021
    Hi,

I guess the main goal that should be reached here is this:

A message area should have an "FTN-style echotag" and *also* a (different) newsgroup name for NNTP.
    The question is:
    Can this be done?
    What settings and/or files should be changed in what way to accomplish this?

Thank you!

Anna
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Acn on Tue Apr 27 11:15:41 2021
    By: Acn to Digital Man on Tue Apr 27 2021 02:52 am

Hi,

I guess the main goal that should be reached here is this:

A message area should have an "FTN-style echotag" and *also* a (different) newsgroup name for NNTP.

Sure. The newsgroup name can be configured in SCFG while the "FTN-style echotag" is configured in your area file (data/areas.bbs).

The question is:
    Can this be done?

Yes.

What settings and/or files should be changed in what way to accomplish this?

See above.

But a bigger question is... why? What valid FTN-style echotag is an invalid newsgroup name?
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #82:
    Telix = Commercial MS-DOS and Windows communications/terminal program
    Norco, CA WX: 57.5øF, 59.0% humidity, 0 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:103/705 to DIGITAL MAN on Tue Apr 27 14:36:00 2021
    Please provide more details. An "FTN-style echotag" is just a string of ASCII aracters with underscores or dots as word separators (no spaces). They should
    useable as newsgroup names as far as I can tell.

Lupine will have to supply the details as I have never tried that feature (creating an AREAS.BBS from SCFG). I was just trying to make sure you
    all were talking apples and apples. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * "Kills millions of germs on contract"

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Lupine Furmen on Wed Apr 28 00:57:52 2021
    By: Digital Man to Lupine Furmen on Sun Apr 25 2021 03:30 pm

By: Lupine Furmen to Digital Man on Sun Apr 25 2021 12:03 pm

Why?

Each sub's echotag is actually configred in your area file (data/areas.bbs) - so you can't use whatever you like. It does not *have* to match the newsgroup name.

So to answer your original question: Yes, it was intentional. No, it was not an "oops". Since the original "source of truth" for area tags (as used by SBBSecho) was the area file (areas.bbs) - whatever was set in SCFG was really just for convenience and not required by anything. But since the area file is now (rather recently) optional, that's why I made sure there was string configurable in SCFG that was long enough for the longest FidoNet area tag (35 characters) and would not normally contain spaces or any other illegal area tag characters. I'm not clear what problem you had using the same string for both the newsgroup name and the area tag, but rest assured, in v3.19a now you can set each separately in SCFG to whatever you like. Or not. Should work either way.
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #13:
    Nigel Tufnel: You can't really dust for vomit.
    Norco, CA WX: 51.6øF, 78.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Lupine Furmen@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat May 1 23:41:51 2021
    By: Digital Man to Acn on Tue Apr 27 2021 11:15:41

But a bigger question is... why? What valid FTN-style echotag is an invalid newsgroup name? --
    digital man

Don't worry about it. I was under the misinformation that fido type tags had to be *_*_* and that Usenet tags had to be *.*.*.

When I was first learning how to setup fido networks in SBBS I was told that I had to put the Fido ID Tag in the newsgroup field and then export the echoes to the areas.bbs file. I was never taught any other way of doing it. So when I tried to setup the NNTP server to make my sfnet echoes available via newsreader I was under the impression that I couldn't use diffeent nameing formats for the two different network types.

Well, I ran into a different issue with using the SBBS NNTP server (ALL the echoes on my BBS were suddenly showing up in my newsreader, not just the sfnet echoes, even though they were the only ones I had turned on for NNTP access), so I'm just using the NNTP server on the Mystic BBS that runs the hub, so there is no other networks even on that BBS.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson

Dallas

... A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Lupine Furmen on Sun May 2 01:55:10 2021
    By: Lupine Furmen to Digital Man on Sat May 01 2021 11:41 pm

By: Digital Man to Acn on Tue Apr 27 2021 11:15:41

But a bigger question is... why? What valid FTN-style echotag is an invalid newsgroup name? --
    digital man

Don't worry about it. I was under the misinformation that fido type tags had to be *_*_* and that Usenet tags had to be *.*.*.

Yeah, that's incorrect.

When I was first learning how to setup fido networks in SBBS I was told that I had to put the Fido ID Tag in the newsgroup field and then export the echoes to the areas.bbs file. I was never taught any other way of doing it. So when I tried to setup the NNTP server to make my sfnet echoes available via newsreader I was under the impression that I couldn't use diffeent nameing formats for the two different network types.

FTN area tags are valid newsgroup names and vice versa.

Well, I ran into a different issue with using the SBBS NNTP server (ALL the echoes on my BBS were suddenly showing up in my newsreader, not just the sfnet echoes, even though they were the only ones I had turned on for NNTP access),

I'm not clear what you mean by "turned on for NNTP access". There is no such option in SCFG. If you're referring to the "Internet (UUCP/NNTP)" "Network Options" for a sub-board, that is a different thing and used by NewsLink, for when you are connecting your sub-boards to an Internet message network like USENET. That's a different thing.

The Synchronet NNTP service (nntpservice.js) makes ALL the message areas that a user has access to available in their news reader. If you want to restrict access to exclude a specific protocol (NNTP) you can do that via Access Requirement Strings if you really want to, but I don't know off hand why you would.

so I'm just using the NNTP server on the Mystic BBS that runs the
    hub, so there is no other networks even on that BBS.

Okay, but it sounds like there's another point of confusion going on there.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #21:
    DM = Digital Man (Rob Swindell) or Dungeon Master
    Norco, CA WX: 55.1øF, 86.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux