• SlyEdit Help

From Boondock@1:103/705 to All on Fri Feb 26 03:41:57 2021
    Hi,
    Unless I haven't spotted it anywhere else, it seems the help for the keys for SlyEdit is only available in the Readme file. Within the editor, ctl-G and Esc both don't give the keys.
    Not sure how to contact the author, but if I could suggest having the key reference available somewhere might be a good idea for reincarnated newbies like myself...

The following is a summary of the keyboard shortcuts, from SlyEdit's command help screen (note that file import, with Ctrl-O & Ctrl-X, are only available to the sysop or users with sysop access, and file import/export takes place on the BBS machine):

Help keys Slash commands (on blank line) --------- ------------------------------ Ctrl-G : General help /A : Abort
    Ctrl-L : Command key list (this list) /S : Save
    /Q : Quote message
    Ctrl-T : List text replacements /T : List text replacements
    /U : Your user settings
    /C : Cross-post selection
    /UPLOAD : Upload a message

Command/edit keys
    -----------------
    Ctrl-A : Abort message PageUp : Page up
    Ctrl-Z : Save message PageDown: Page down
    Ctrl-Q : Quote message Ctrl-W : Word/text search Insert/Ctrl-I: Toggle insert/overwrite mode Ctrl-D : Delete line
    Ctrl-R : Spell checker ESC : Command menu
    Ctrl-O : Import a file Ctrl-X : Export to file
    Ctrl-U : Your user settings Ctrl-C : Cross-post selection Ctrl-S : Change subject

Boondock

BoonDock
    Pedasi/Panama

... After two days in hospital, I took a turn for the nurse.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from El Gato de Fuego * The Fire Cat * elgato.synchronetbbs.org
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Boondock@1:103/705 to All on Fri Feb 26 03:48:54 2021
    Re: SlyEdit Help
    By: Boondock to All on Fri Feb 26 2021 03:41:57

Unless I haven't spotted it anywhere else, it seems the help for the keys for SlyEdit is only available in the Readme file. Within the editor, ctl-G and Esc both don't give the keys. Not sure how to contact the author, but
    Just to be clear, because I realised too late I wasn't, how does a user know he has to press Ctl-L to get the key list until he's seen the key list?

BoonDock
    Pedasi/Panama

... Construct a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to.

John

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from El Gato de Fuego * The Fire Cat * elgato.synchronetbbs.org
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Boondock on Thu Feb 25 20:40:51 2021
    By: Boondock to All on Fri Feb 26 2021 03:41 am

Unless I haven't spotted it anywhere else, it seems the help for the keys for SlyEdit is only available in the Readme file. Within the editor, ctl-G and Esc both don't give the keys. Not sure how to contact the author, but if I could suggest having the key reference available somewhere might be a good idea for reincarnated newbies like myself...

I'm the author of SlyEdit.

When you say it would be good to have the key help "available somewhere", I assume you mean from within SlyEdit, right?

The key help is available from within SlyEdit itself (I actually copied & pasted the key help from SlyEdit into the readme file).

You can see the key help via SlyEdit's help screen. You can access the help screen by pressing ESC to bring up the menu and then choosing help. You can also view the help screen by typing /? on a blank line and pressing enter.

The SlyEdit screen mentions you can press ESC for help - Maybe I should make that more prominent?

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Boondock on Thu Feb 25 20:41:46 2021
    By: Boondock to All on Fri Feb 26 2021 03:48 am

Just to be clear, because I realised too late I wasn't, how does a user know he has to press Ctl-L to get the key list until he's seen the key list?

By pressing ESC to bring up the menu (as shown on the SlyEdit main screen) and choosing to view the help screen.

Nightfox

---
  • From Al@1:103/705 to Boondock on Thu Feb 25 21:06:13 2021
    By: Boondock to All on Fri Feb 26 2021 03:41 am

Unless I haven't spotted it anywhere else, it seems the help for the keys for SlyEdit is only available in the Readme file. Within the editor, ctl-G and Esc both don't give the keys.

Hit the escape key and then help, or <CTRL> L. :)

It is written by Nightfox who can be found in DOVE-Net.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From Boondock@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Fri Feb 26 13:29:00 2021
    By: Nightfox to Boondock on Thu Feb 25 2021 20:41:46

By pressing ESC to bring up the menu (as shown on the SlyEdit main screen) and choosing to view the help screen.
    Ok, thanks for answering, and thanks for a great editor.

It's not very obvious.I'm not exactly a neophyte, and I didn't find that. I'm wanting to briing new users across from the Dark-side and I'm trying to avoid as many hassles as possible.

Boondock

BoonDock
    Pedasi/Panama

... One has the right to be wrong in a democracy.

---
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Boondock on Fri Feb 26 08:18:49 2021
    By: Boondock to Nightfox on Fri Feb 26 2021 01:29 pm

By pressing ESC to bring up the menu (as shown on the SlyEdit main
    screen) and choosing to view the help screen.

Ok, thanks for answering, and thanks for a great editor.

It's not very obvious.I'm not exactly a neophyte, and I didn't find that. I'm wanting to briing new users across from the Dark-side and I'm trying to avoid as many hassles as possible.

There's only so much screen space to show tips like that. Also, I modeled SlyEdit after IceEdit and DCT Edit, which were around for a while in the 90s, but perhaps there is always room for improvements. I'd have to think about where else that could be on the screen..

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Al on Fri Feb 26 08:24:40 2021
    By: Al to Boondock on Thu Feb 25 2021 09:06 pm

Hit the escape key and then help, or <CTRL> L. :)

It is written by Nightfox who can be found in DOVE-Net.

/? on an empty line (followed by enter) also brings up the key help. :)

Nightfox

---
  • From Boondock@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Fri Feb 26 20:20:38 2021
    By: Nightfox to Boondock on Fri Feb 26 2021 08:18:49

There's only so much screen space to show tips like that. Also, I modeled SlyEdit after IceEdit and DCT Edit, which were around for a while in the 90s, but perhaps there is always room for improvements. I'd have to think about where else that could be on the screen..

Maybe replace "(A)Abort" with "(L)List Keys"?
    Abort could be found on the list ...

Boondock

BoonDock
    Pedasi/Panama

... HANGOVER: the wrath of grapes.

---
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Boondock on Fri Feb 26 20:48:34 2021
    By: Boondock to Nightfox on Fri Feb 26 2021 08:20 pm

There's only so much screen space to show tips like that. Also, I
    modeled SlyEdit after IceEdit and DCT Edit, which were around for a
    while in the 90s, but perhaps there is always room for improvements.
    I'd have to think about where else that could be on the screen..

Maybe replace "(A)Abort" with "(L)List Keys"?
    Abort could be found on the list ...

Maybe.. Though I imagine abort is used a lot more often than list keys would be. If I removed Abort, then I imagine some people might not realize you can abort a message, at least at first.

I'm having a feeling it might be enough to show that ESC will bring up a menu. You can't always fit everything on the screen, and like any other piece of software, sometimes you have to just try some things to look for what you need. Seems to me it would make sense that a help screen might be available on a menu, and SlyEdit shows you can press ESC to bring up help or a menu. In DCT mode, it says ESC brings up a menu, and in Ice mode, it even literally says "Press ESCape For Help" on the bottom line.

Nightfox

---