• Is this "msglist mail" behavior normal?

From Kurisu@1:103/705 to All on Sun Dec 13 09:19:07 2020
    Time for yet another case of "this doesn't quite make sense to me."

I've been using msglist for my boards mail since the September 3.18 update. Yesterday I finally put two and two together and noticed a very odd behavior with it. Let's set up the scenario:

A user sends me a local mail on my board.

I reply.

They go to reply and, instead of the reply being sent as local mail, it is instead set as a netmail / true email message and thus their reply is sent to my actual email, as opposed to being sent as local mail on the board.

I've tested this firsthand by using the change user sysop command to communicate with myself via a dummy account.

Incidentally, if one is to delete netmail associated with an account, this behavior goes away -- it no longer presumes netmail and instead defaults to a local message, with netmail still an option if you press the key to reply as such.

What I'm wondering is, is this intended or some kind of oversight? Is there a toggle I'm not aware of for this, maybe?

Again, I stress no matter which option a user selects as a reply, it will always default to sending the reply as a netmail. This seems like it wouldn't be intentional, and has caused me to lose some conversations...

I updated the js last night with the most recent file from git and it still has this behavor, hence me inquring now.

Thanks.
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
    þ Synchronet þ Final Zone BBS - finalzone.ddns.net - www.xadara.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Kurisu on Sun Dec 13 13:46:16 2020
    Re: Is this "msglist mail" behavior normal?
    By: Kurisu to All on Sun Dec 13 2020 09:19 am

Time for yet another case of "this doesn't quite make sense to me."

I've been using msglist for my boards mail since the September 3.18 update. Yesterday I finally put two and two together and noticed a very odd
    behavior
    with it. Let's set up the scenario:

A user sends me a local mail on my board.

I reply.

They go to reply and, instead of the reply being sent as local mail, it is instead set as a netmail / true email message and thus their reply is sent to my actual email, as opposed to being sent as local mail on the board.

I've tested this firsthand by using the change user sysop command to communicate with myself via a dummy account.

Incidentally, if one is to delete netmail associated with an account, this behavior goes away -- it no longer presumes netmail and instead defaults to a local message, with netmail still an option if you press the key to reply as such.

Viewing the headers of such messages will help identify issues. E.g. are there any Reply-To* header fields being set when you send a local mail message? That would certainly explain it.

What I'm wondering is, is this intended or some kind of oversight? Is there a toggle I'm not aware of for this, maybe?

I'm guessing that you have the "Forward to netmail" option enabled for your user account.

Again, I stress no matter which option a user selects as a reply, it will always default to sending the reply as a netmail. This seems like it wouldn't be intentional, and has caused me to lose some conversations...

If you have "Forward to netmail" enabled for your user account, then that is indicating that you prefer that all your mail (including replies to your local mail message) get sent to a netmail address.

I updated the js last night with the most recent file from git and it still has this behavor, hence me inquring now.

Not new behavior. Let me know if that still doesn't make sense,
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #25:
    Karl: they seen fit to put me in here and here I've been a great long while. Norco, CA WX: 69.4øF, 18.0% humidity, 0 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Kurisu@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Dec 13 21:19:13 2020
    Re: Is this "msglist mail" behavior normal?
    By: Digital Man to Kurisu on Sun Dec 13 2020 01:46 pm

I'm guessing that you have the "Forward to netmail" option enabled for your user account.

This was indeed the issue. I could have sworn I disabled that ages ago but I guess not. Ah, it's a never ending learning process with software like this isn't it?

Right, sure enough my normal email was in the headers as the reply address, and forward to netmail was toggled. Disabling that and sending some fresh test messages solved the problem. :)

Thanks, as always. I really do appreciate it. Hopefully it will be more than a few months before I have to inquire about another silly thing that's got my head spinning. Haha!
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
    þ Synchronet þ Final Zone BBS - finalzone.ddns.net - www.xadara.com