• message base restoration with some caveats

From Sprite@1:103/705 to All on Tue Nov 24 16:36:05 2020
    I've got a question for whomever might be able to field this one. I had a previous version of Synchronet... I think it was 3.16b, maybe? It was installed on an OpenBSD host. That machine was lost, and for other reasons I've switched to debian or ubuntu server on a new virtual machine that I'm currently hosting this v3.17 instance on.
    I had put a lot of work into the _local_ message bases on that previous OpenBSD instance of the BBS. I have not tried to recreate this at all on my current instance on the VM, and there are no messages of consequence there. I would very much like to be able to xfer my local message base structure from the 3.16b archive to this 3.17 instance, and if I could transplant the message (I understand there would be difficulty with the user name/IDs as I do not have the same userbase any more) threads from the old instance to the new that'd be absolutely awesome.
    Is there any way that I can go about this? I know at one point I was talking about migrating from one host to another and I know that at least [maybe limited?] portions of this were possible just by copying index files and some other files from one system to the other. I know this wouldn't be as easy, for the most part, but short of writing a script to dig them out of one instance and to neatly tuck them into the new is there some way that I could go about this and save myself a giant headache?
    Thanks for anything you've got about this in advance, it's very much appreciated. As always, also, thank you to the various dedicated devs on all the different facets of Synchronet, too. It's absolutely awesome. I just hope I have the fundage to be able to put some more hardware and time dedication into this project at some point before I'm dead. Heh.
    Take care, everybody!

---
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Sprite on Tue Nov 24 17:15:50 2020
    Re: message base restoration with some caveats
    By: Sprite to All on Tue Nov 24 2020 04:36 pm

I've got a question for whomever might be able to field this one. I had previous version of Synchronet... I think it was 3.16b, maybe? It was installed on an OpenBSD host. That machine was lost, and for other reasons I've switched to debian or ubuntu server on a new virtual machine that I'm currently hosting this v3.17 instance on.
    I had put a lot of work into the _local_ message bases on that previous OpenBSD instance of the BBS. I have not tried to recreate this at all on
    my
    current instance on the VM, and there are no messages of consequence there. I would very much like to be able to xfer my local message base structure from the 3.16b archive to this 3.17 instance, and if I could transplant the message (I understand there would be difficulty with the user name/IDs as I do not have the same userbase any more) threads from the old instance to
    the
    new that'd be absolutely awesome.
    Is there any way that I can go about this?

Yes.
    http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:misc#migration

I know at one point I was
    talking about migrating from one host to another and I know that at least [maybe limited?] portions of this were possible just by copying index files and some other files from one system to the other. I know this wouldn't be as easy, for the most part, but short of writing a script to dig them out
    of
    one instance and to neatly tuck them into the new is there some way that I could go about this and save myself a giant headache?

If you don't want to migrate *all* the configuration and data, you could just migrate data/subs/* and ctrl/msgs.cnf to your new install.

Thanks for anything you've got about this in advance, it's very much appreciated. As always, also, thank you to the various dedicated devs on all the different facets of Synchronet, too. It's absolutely awesome. I just hope I have the fundage to be able to put some more hardware and time dedication into this project at some point before I'm dead. Heh.
    Take care, everybody!

You're welcome and You too!
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #6:
    Karl: he should've had a chance to grow up. He would had fun some time.
    Norco, CA WX: 61.4øF, 65.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)