• Two hubs same zone

From Nelgin@1:103/705 to DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Sysops on Tue Nov 10 13:28:43 2020
    Hi all,

I could do with some help from someone who has setup syncrhonet to work with two hubs on the same zone.

We had a situation where my hub's connection and their connection didn't have
    a specific group but other Zone 1 hubs did, so I want to maximize my changes
    of getting all traffic to all echoes.

Originally I setup sbbs when I really knew nothing (and still dont!) so "it works" but I feel if I touch it then it won't so looking for someone who already has this eetup and working.

Thanks,
    Nigel

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Al@1:103/705 to Nelgin on Tue Nov 10 15:32:47 2020
    Re: Two hubs same zone
    By: Nelgin to DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Sysops on Tue Nov 10 2020 01:28 pm

I could do with some help from someone who has setup syncrhonet to work with two hubs on the same zone.

If your links are in the same zone just add the second node and connect them to the areas they should connect to.

We had a situation where my hub's connection and their connection didn't have a specific group but other Zone 1 hubs did, so I want to maximize my changes of getting all traffic to all echoes.

That happens a lot today. I bet there are many areas in that situation.

Originally I setup sbbs when I really knew nothing (and still dont!) so "it works" but I feel if I touch it then it won't so looking for someone who already has this eetup and working.

If you were to connect to an out of zone node I would suggest using zone blind seen-by lines (echocfg -> Echomail Settings -> Zone Blind SEEN-BY and PATH lines), but if you stay in zone there is no need to worry.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From Nelgin@1:103/705 to Al on Tue Nov 10 17:59:21 2020
    By: Al to Nelgin on Tue Nov 10 2020 15:32:47

If your links are in the same zone just add the second node and connect
    them
    to the areas they should connect to.

My worry it what would happen with a group like WHAT'S_HOT! which is offered by my hub, but not propagated by their hub? I had no idea that was the case. How would sbbs know which system to send it via? It looks like I'm manually going to have to check every group for the connect hub to route through?

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nelgin on Tue Nov 10 16:26:04 2020
    By: Nelgin to Al on Tue Nov 10 2020 05:59 pm

By: Al to Nelgin on Tue Nov 10 2020 15:32:47

If your links are in the same zone just add the second node and connect them to the areas they should connect to.

My worry it what would happen with a group like WHAT'S_HOT! which is
    offered
    by my hub, but not propagated by their hub? I had no idea that was the
    case.
    How would sbbs know which system to send it via? It looks like I'm manually going to have to check every group for the connect hub to route through?

It would send to both. Let the seen-by's sort it out.
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #33:
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy?
    Norco, CA WX: 64.1øF, 25.0% humidity, 3 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Al@1:103/705 to Nelgin on Tue Nov 10 16:36:19 2020
    By: Nelgin to Al on Tue Nov 10 2020 05:59 pm

My worry it what would happen with a group like WHAT'S_HOT! which is offered by my hub, but not propagated by their hub? I had no idea that
    was
    the case. How would sbbs know which system to send it via? It looks like I'm manually going to have to check every group for the connect hub to route through?

None of us can know what happens to mail once it leaves our node. There may be a dead link somewhere along the way and there is no good way for any of us to know about that or what to do about it. If you have responsive links they can look into it and figure out a solution as I think happened in the WHAT'S_HOT! area.

The best solution is to elist the area and add it to the backbone so we can all know the area is meshing there and any interested nodes will have no trouble getting connected.

I do use the backbone for the most part but I also peer with nodes that have active links and that comes in handy at times.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... Remember when safe sex meant not getting caught?

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From Mike Powell@1:103/705 to NELGIN on Wed Nov 11 11:56:00 2020
    My worry it what would happen with a group like WHAT'S_HOT! which is offered by
    my hub, but not propagated by their hub? I had no idea that was the case. How >uld sbbs know which system to send it via? It looks like I'm manually going to
    ave to check every group for the connect hub to route through?

If you have two systems you connect with, and you know that the echo in question is fresh on SYSTEM B but not SYSTEM A, you would set your
    AREAS.BBS file so that you are routing traffic from your system for that
    echo to SYSTEM B. You would also want to be sure you are requesting that
    echo from SYSTEM B.

I must be misunderstanding the issue because it seems pretty simple to me.

* SLMR 2.1a * !edis gnorw eht morf siht ta gnikool era uoY

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP