• First update with GIT

From Gamgee@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Aug 24 10:18:45 2020
    Hi there DM,

I saw your long message in Announcements, and lots of other messages regarding the changeover to GIT from CVS. Makes sense to me, I guess, but have one question regarding updating an existing (Linux) BBS:

On the Wiki, you've updated the "Updating" section to show the changes. I can obviously create the new "repo" directory under /sbbs, but the next step shows simply "git pull". How will my system know where the repository is? Don't I have to have some configuration that defines where to pull from? I think there is an assumption there that it's a new install that was done from git, and I guess perhaps the new GNUmakefile creates that config.... but what if I've been updating via CVS for all this time... (and obviously don't want to do a new install from git).

Thanks for info!

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From DaiTengu@1:103/705 to Gamgee on Mon Aug 24 13:30:43 2020
    Re: First update with GIT
    By: Gamgee to Digital Man on Mon Aug 24 2020 10:18 am

On the Wiki, you've updated the "Updating" section to show the changes. I can obviously create the new "repo" directory under /sbbs, but the next step shows simply "git pull". How will my system know where the
    repository
    is? Don't I have to have some configuration that defines where to pull from? I think there is an assumption there that it's a new install that was done from git, and I guess perhaps the new GNUmakefile creates that config.... but what if I've been updating via CVS for all this time... (and obviously don't want to do a new install from git).

when you do a git clone, it writes config files into .git/ with information on where the repo is located. You can also set environment variables and whatnot for git to use, but that's not required if you're simply doing a "git pull"

anyway, when you are in /sbbs and do a "git pull" it reads the settings stored in the .git/ directory, that's how it knows where the repo is.

I'd recommend holding off a bit on updating with git if you're not familiar with it. As DM said, it's kind of an all-or-nothing type system. If you have any changes to files that are in CVS, they'll get overwitten by the copy command from GNUMakefile. I can already hear The Millionaire screaming about his text.dat file....

DaiTengu

... One good turn gets most of the blanket.

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Gamgee@1:103/705 to DaiTengu on Mon Aug 24 15:17:00 2020
    DaiTengu wrote to Gamgee <=-

On the Wiki, you've updated the "Updating" section to show the changes. I can obviously create the new "repo" directory under /sbbs, but the next step shows simply "git pull". How will my system know where the
    repository
    is? Don't I have to have some configuration that defines where to pull from? I think there is an assumption there that it's a new install that was done from git, and I guess perhaps the new GNUmakefile creates that config.... but what if I've been updating via CVS for all this time... (and obviously don't want to do a new install from git).

when you do a git clone, it writes config files into .git/ with information on where the repo is located. You can also set
    environment variables and whatnot for git to use, but that's not
    required if you're simply doing a "git pull"

But..... I don't *have* a .git directory, because I did not
    originally install using git (I used CVS).

anyway, when you are in /sbbs and do a "git pull" it reads the
    settings stored in the .git/ directory, that's how it knows where
    the repo is.

That makes sense to me, but how do the settings get put into the
    (nonexistant) .git directory, if I've not used git before?

I'd recommend holding off a bit on updating with git if you're
    not familiar with it. As DM said, it's kind of an all-or-nothing
    type system. If you have any changes to files that are in CVS,
    they'll get overwitten by the copy command from GNUMakefile. I
    can already hear The Millionaire screaming about his text.dat
    file....

Yes, I'll be waiting a bit, for sure. I'm assuming that I can
    (before updating) copy all my customized files to some safe
    directory, and then copy (overwrite) them back into the /sbbs
    structure afterwards (as I am already doing with a script).

Thanks, and agreed on the TM thing... ;-)

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Gamgee on Mon Aug 24 16:03:25 2020

Hi there DM,

I saw your long message in Announcements, and lots of other messages regarding the changeover to GIT from CVS. Makes sense to me, I guess, but have one question regarding updating an existing (Linux) BBS:

On the Wiki, you've updated the "Updating" section to show the changes. I can obviously create the new "repo" directory under /sbbs, but the next
    step
    shows simply "git pull". How will my system know where the repository is? Don't I have to have some configuration that defines where to pull from? I think there is an assumption there that it's a new install that was done from git, and I guess perhaps the new GNUmakefile creates that config.... but what if I've been updating via CVS for all this time... (and obviously don't want to do a new install from git).

See here:
    http://wiki.synchro.net/dev:git

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #16:
    David St. Hubbins: I believe virtually everything I read...
    Norco, CA WX: 90.7øF, 45.0% humidity, 16 mph N wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Gamgee@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Aug 24 20:18:00 2020
    Digital Man wrote to Gamgee <=-

On the Wiki, you've updated the "Updating" section to show the changes. I can obviously create the new "repo" directory under /sbbs, but the next
    step
    shows simply "git pull". How will my system know where the repository is? Don't I have to have some configuration that defines where to pull from? I think there is an assumption there that it's a new install that was done from git, and I guess perhaps the new GNUmakefile creates that config.... but what if I've been updating via CVS for all this time... (and obviously don't want to do a new install from git).

See here:
    http://wiki.synchro.net/dev:git

Ahhhhhhh. Thank you.

... Was Jimi Hendrix's modem a Purple Hayes?
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
  • From Mike Powell@1:103/705 to DAITENGU on Tue Aug 25 18:54:00 2020
    GNUMakefile. I can already hear The Millionaire screaming about his
    text.dat
    le....

That is because he is alredy screaming about it in another dovenet echo. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Indecision Clouds My Vision.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP