• Message Networking

From Operations@1:103/705 to All on Mon Feb 11 14:29:53 2019
    Hey all,
    I have 5 existing networks that I transfer message bases through using sbbsecho
    and InternetRex. They have been working fine for a long time and even after the 3.17 upgrade still are. But when I go to connect to a new network, I'm having a problem. As far as I can see the settings are the same in my sbbsecho.ini and my areas.bbs for the new one and the old ones. IRex is working because netmail is flowing between the two. I have also done a rescan of the bases and gotten the messages from my connection node. But no matter what I do, I cannot get the test messages to send from my machine to his. the message is always listed as a stray pkt and is placed in my temp\sbbsecho directory. And there it sits. When Sbbsecho runs, it will add any new messages to the packet, but it will not send.

I'm thinking that there is some change in something in the 3.17 upgrade. I see
    that there is a place for binkp settings but they are all blank in my existing networks, so I've just left them blank in my new network settings. I can't change my directories in IREX because then my old nodes would be messed up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks All,
    Operations

---
    þ Synchronet þ Section One BBS - www.section1bbs.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Operations on Mon Feb 11 15:31:59 2019
    Re: Message Networking
    By: Operations to All on Mon Feb 11 2019 02:29 pm

Hey all,
    I have 5 existing networks that I transfer message bases through using sbbsecho and InternetRex. They have been working fine for a long time and even after the 3.17 upgrade still are. But when I go to connect to a new network, I'm having a problem. As far as I can see the settings are the same in my sbbsecho.ini and my areas.bbs for the new one and the old ones. IRex is working because netmail is flowing between the two. I have also done a rescan of the bases and gotten the messages from my connection node. But no matter what I do, I cannot get the test messages to send from my machine to his. the message is always listed as a stray pkt and is placed in my temp\sbbsecho directory. And there it sits. When Sbbsecho runs, it will add any new messages to the packet, but it will not send.

Some log output (from data/sbbsecho.log) and/or your configuration settings (from ctrl/sbbsecho.ini) would be helpful.

I'm thinking that there is some change in something in the 3.17 upgrade. I see that there is a place for binkp settings but they are all blank in my existing networks, so I've just left them blank in my new network settings.

The BinkP settings are for use if/when you use BinkIt.js (instead of IRex). So if you're not using BinkIt, those settings are ignored.

I can't change my directories in IREX because then my old nodes would be messed up.

More details needed.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #36:
    Bobbi Flekman: Money talks, and bullshit walks.
    Norco, CA WX: 59.3øF, 28.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.02 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From Andy Stump@1:116/4148 to Operations on Mon Feb 11 19:47:46 2019
    Hey all,
    I have 5 existing networks that I transfer message bases through using sbbsecho and InternetRex. They have been working fine for a long time and even after the 3.17 upgrade still are. But when I go to connect to a new network, I'm having a problem. As far as I can see the settings are the same in my sbbsecho.ini and my areas.bbs for the new one and the old ones. IRex is working because netmail is flowing between the two. I have also done a rescan of the bases and gotten the messages from my connection node. But no matter what I do, I cannot get the test messages to send from my machine to his. the message is always listed as a stray pkt and is placed in my temp\sbbsecho directory. And there it sits. When Sbbsecho runs, it will add any new messages to the packet, but it will not send.

I'm thinking that there is some change in something in the 3.17 upgrade. I see that there is a place for binkp settings but they are all blank in my existing networks, so I've just left them blank in my new network settings. I can't change my directories in IREX because then my old nodes would be messed up.

Thanks All,
    Operations

---
    þ Synchronet þ Section One BBS - www.section1bbs.com

Not sure if this will help but I had similar issues. I had to upgrade sbbsecho
    by running the upgrade script after my 3.17 upgrade because my transfers would error out. After I started to have issues with pkt being labeled as bad and not being processed so they would sit in the "in" folder. I wrote a batch file
    to rename them from .bad to .pkt and move them to the "imsec" folder. I have the BBS run this batch file every 30 mins or so. then the sbbsecho event runs every hour and processes the "insec" folder. Just a simple work around until can resolve the underlying issue.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: *Slate Hell BBS\Morristown, TN\1:116/4148 (1:116/4148)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Operations on Mon Feb 11 19:17:02 2019
    By: Operations to All on Mon Feb 11 2019 02:29 pm

Hey all,

Here is the relevant error from the sbbsecho.log file you sent me via email:

ERROR line 850, attachment file not found: ^C:/SBBS/XTRN/BRE777/OUTBOUND/777B0701.226

This is caused by an old bug in BRE which I do not think has ever been fixed. SBBSecho v2 had a work-around for this bug (ignoring/skipping prepended '^' on attachment file paths) - but that workaround was not included in SBBSecho v3. That work around has now been added to SBBSecho v3, so at least *that* problem should be worked-around and SBBSecho can continue to process your other outbound mail.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #5:
    BBS = Bulletin Board System
    Norco, CA WX: 51.6øF, 49.0% humidity, 1 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From Operations@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Feb 11 20:40:19 2019
    By: Digital Man to Operations on Mon Feb 11 2019 07:17 pm

Thanks
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux