• TLS over FTP not working.

From Electrosys@1:103/705 to All on Tue May 12 13:34:49 2020
    I'm having some trouble with TLS over FTP not working properly and I'm wondering if anyone has any insights?

The last error message indicates that the address was unroutable. Is this due to a router setting? As far as I understand this is a common problem.

This reference talks a bit about the routing: https://support.tigertech.net/filezilla-disable-tls

Has anyone worked through this problem before?

Command:STOR picprog2009_rev_3_05.zip
    Response:150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file transfer. Error:GnuTLS error -15 in gnutls_record_recv: An unexpected TLS packet was received.
    Error:Could not read from socket: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted Error:Disconnected from server
    Error:File transfer failed after transferring 311,296 bytes in 1 second Status:Disconnected from server
    Status:Connection established, waiting for welcome message... Status:Initializing TLS...
    Status:Starting upload of /home/steven/Downloads/putonbbs/picprog2009_rev_3_05.zip
    Status:Retrieving directory listing of "/uploads/SYSOP"...
    Status:Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.
    Status:Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Electrosys on Tue May 12 18:52:04 2020
    Re: TLS over FTP not working.
    By: Electrosys to All on Tue May 12 2020 01:34 pm

I'm having some trouble with TLS over FTP not working properly and I'm wondering if anyone has any insights?

Does it work when you use other Synchronet FTP servers (e.g. vert.synchro.net)?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #44:
    Synchronet added JavaScript suppport with v3.10a (2001).
    Norco, CA WX: 64.8øF, 72.0% humidity, 8 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Electrosys@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed May 13 09:43:48 2020
    By: Digital Man to Electrosys on Tue May 12 2020 06:52 pm

I get a similar TLS error when trying to upload a file to vert.synchro.net but I dont see the error about the routing when using vert ftp.

Command:STOR eightchars_1.txt
    Response:150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file transfer. Error:GnuTLS error -15 in gnutls_record_recv: An unexpected TLS packet was received.
    Error:Could not read from socket: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted Error:Disconnected from server
    Error:File transfer failed

Also, do we need to generate our own certificate file? Or does the SBBS system do this for us?

Thanks,
    Electrosys
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Electrosys on Wed May 13 10:24:15 2020
    By: Electrosys to Digital Man on Wed May 13 2020 09:43 am

By: Digital Man to Electrosys on Tue May 12 2020 06:52 pm

I get a similar TLS error when trying to upload a file to vert.synchro.net but I dont see the error about the routing when using vert ftp.

Command:STOR eightchars_1.txt
    Error:File transfer failed

I'm seeing errors too in FileZilla with FTPS. Dunno what the issue is off-hand.

Also, do we need to generate our own certificate file? Or does the SBBS system do this for us?

Synchronet generates a self-signed certificate automatically. If you want a LetsEncrypt signed certificate, see http://wiki.synchro.net/module:letsyncrypt

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #18:
    Sustain, listen to it. Don't hear anything. You would though were it playing. Norco, CA WX: 65.0øF, 63.0% humidity, 2 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux