• msglist.js and read/scan loadable modules

From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Apr 23 17:11:09 2020
    Hi DM,

I'm curious if the message reading functionality in your msglist.js can be integrated into Synchronet as the reader to be used for newscans, etc. via the Loadable Module mechanism? A while ago, you added a couple things that could be added in SCFG > System > Loadable Modules: The Scan Msgs and Scan Subs modules, which allow for running a message reader module rather than using the built-in stock Synchronet message reader functionality.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 23 18:04:23 2020
    Re: msglist.js and read/scan loadable modules
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Thu Apr 23 2020 05:11 pm

Hi DM,

I'm curious if the message reading functionality in your msglist.js can be integrated into Synchronet as the reader to be used for newscans, etc. via the Loadable Module mechanism?

Not currently.

A while ago, you added a couple things that
    could be added in SCFG > System > Loadable Modules: The Scan Msgs and Scan Subs modules, which allow for running a message reader module rather than using the built-in stock Synchronet message reader functionality.

Yeah, but the module would have to handle the scenarios in which thos module command-lines are invoked, and msglist.js currently, does not.

My initial was goal was for reading/replying to email and I still have a lot of work to go to have all the functionality I want for that feature set. Using it as a sub-board "list" module was kind of an after-thought, but it does work pretty good for that as of now. Some point later, I'll look into what it (msglist.js) would need added to support all the different scan-modes.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #87:
    UTF-8 = 8-bit Unicode Transformation Format
    Norco, CA WX: 82.7øF, 42.0% humidity, 7 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Apr 24 07:38:00 2020
    Digital Man wrote to Nightfox <=-

My initial was goal was for reading/replying to email and I still have
    a lot of work to go to have all the functionality I want for that
    feature set. Using it as a sub-board "list" module was kind of an after-thought, but it does work pretty good for that as of now. Some
    point later, I'll look into what it (msglist.js) would need added to support all the different scan-modes.

Thanks! I started using msglist.js and would also like to have that functionality/UI in newscans.

... State the problem as clearly as possible
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Apr 24 17:53:31 2020
    Re: Re: msglist.js and read/scan loadable modules
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Digital Man on Fri Apr 24 2020 07:38 am

Digital Man wrote to Nightfox <=-

My initial was goal was for reading/replying to email and I still have a lot of work to go to have all the functionality I want for that feature set. Using it as a sub-board "list" module was kind of an after-thought, but it does work pretty good for that as of now. Some point later, I'll look into what it (msglist.js) would need added to support all the different scan-modes.

Thanks! I started using msglist.js and would also like to have that functionality/UI in newscans.

The main issue is that msglist.js reads every header of every message of the message base, before it does anything (so that it can sort/display all the associated metadata). Doing that for every message base during a new-scan would definitely slow things down. It's easy enough to just skip a base if there's no new messags, but to reload 10,000 message headers just so you can read that last one new message might be a bit overkill.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #38:
    Artie Fufkin: I'm not asking, I'm telling with this. Kick my ass.
    Norco, CA WX: 93.3øF, 24.0% humidity, 5 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Apr 24 22:40:49 2020
    By: Digital Man to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Apr 24 2020 05:53 pm

Thanks! I started using msglist.js and would also like to have that
    functionality/UI in newscans.

The main issue is that msglist.js reads every header of every message of the message base, before it does anything (so that it can sort/display
    all
    the associated metadata). Doing that for every message base during a new-scan would definitely slow things down. It's easy enough to just skip a base if there's no new messags, but to reload 10,000 message headers just so you can read that last one new message might be a bit overkill.

Sounds like a possible candidate for a refactoring.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Sat Apr 25 03:03:48 2020
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Fri Apr 24 2020 10:40 pm

By: Digital Man to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Apr 24 2020 05:53 pm

Thanks! I started using msglist.js and would also like to have that
    functionality/UI in newscans.

The main issue is that msglist.js reads every header of every message of the message base, before it does anything (so that it can sort/display all the associated metadata). Doing that for every
    base during a new-scan would definitely slow things down. It's easy enough to just skip a base if there's no new messags, but to reload 10,000 message headers just so you can read that last one new message might be a bit overkill.

Sounds like a possible candidate for a refactoring.

Wasn't planning on it.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #100:
    You can leave a voicemail for The TechDorks (Stephen and I) at 951-523-7535. Norco, CA WX: 70.0øF, 52.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux