• unknown qwk conference number

From Rampage@1:103/705 to digitalman on Fri Apr 10 09:40:49 2020
    i happened to be watching my sbbs log monitor and saw the subject line scroll by during the import of a dovenet QWK... since it was so late for me, i decided to wait until this morning to scan back and see when this started... for me, that was on my 2020 Apr 7 01:45 (-0400) pull... i have no idea why this is happening... other than the password, i've not changed anything on the sestar account on vert since setting it up back in 2018 Sept...

evnt !Message from VERT on UNKNOWN QWK CONFERENCE NUMBER: 5001

i'm seeing the above for these conference numbers...

[time passes]

so i've just logged into vert with my sestar account and find some areas in other nets have been turned on... surprisingly, four of those are fidonet areas... that's kinda confusing to me because fidonet areas should not be available via QWK networking but should be available to normal QWK users... i may be missing something there though... maybe a flag or access setting? i dunno...

so i've toggled off areas 71 through 74 in the fidonet group, as well as areas 6 through 9 in the fsxnet group, as well as all the areas in scinet...

i have no idea how those areas got enabled for my sestar account... especially since i'm not a member of those networks other than fidonet... really weird...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From HusTler@1:103/705 to Rampage on Fri Apr 10 10:59:55 2020
    Re: unknown qwk conference number
    By: Rampage to digitalman on Fri Apr 10 2020 09:40 am

areas... that's kinda confusing to me because fidonet areas should not be available via QWK networking but should be available to normal QWK users... i may be missing something there though... maybe a flag or access setting?

Is Fidonet available via QWK on vert?

HusTler@havens.synchro.net
    Proud operator Synchronet BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Rampage@1:103/705 to HusTler on Fri Apr 10 13:57:27 2020
    By: HusTler to Rampage on Fri Apr 10 2020 10:59:55

Rampage>> areas... that's kinda confusing to me because fidonet areas
    Rampage>> should not be available via QWK networking but should be
    Rampage>> available to normal QWK users... i may be missing something
    Rampage>> there though... maybe a flag or access setting? i [...]

HusTler> Is Fidonet available via QWK on vert?

it was in the list of areas i was seeing when logged in with my BBS' QWK account...

sure, users can do fidonet via QWK but BBSes should not be able to QWK network it... i suppose they could but then the BBS allowing that, vert in this case, would be responsible for all the posts coming back in via those QWK connections... i don't know that rob wants to be responsible for other systems' users' posts... ya know? ;)

)\/(ark

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Rampage on Fri Apr 10 12:04:37 2020

i happened to be watching my sbbs log monitor and saw the subject line scroll by during the import of a dovenet QWK... since it was so late for
    me,
    i decided to wait until this morning to scan back and see when this started... for me, that was on my 2020 Apr 7 01:45 (-0400) pull... i have
    no
    idea why this is happening... other than the password, i've not changed anything on the sestar account on vert since setting it up back in 2018 Sept...

evnt !Message from VERT on UNKNOWN QWK CONFERENCE NUMBER: 5001

I added a new QWKnet here on VERT (SciNet) and forgot to have it default off for new-scan configs.

[time passes]

so i've just logged into vert with my sestar account and find some areas in other nets have been turned on... surprisingly, four of those are fidonet areas... that's kinda confusing to me because fidonet areas should not be available via QWK networking but should be available to normal QWK users...

They won't be. When you create a QWKnet packet, any FTNs will be automatically excluded unless I have them configured for gating between net-types (like this message aera).

i may be missing something there though... maybe a flag or access setting? dunno...

Nope, just my mistake.

so i've toggled off areas 71 through 74 in the fidonet group, as well as areas 6 through 9 in the fsxnet group, as well as all the areas in
    scinet...

Yeah, only the SciNet one needed adjustment, but that's fine.

i have no idea how those areas got enabled for my sestar account... especially since i'm not a member of those networks other than fidonet... really weird...

There's no concept of membership to networks by users on VERT. You likely always had those sub-boards enabled for new-scan, but they were automatically excluded from your QWKnet packets.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #70:
    Rob Swindell was interviewed for Jason Scott's BBS Documentary in July of 2002.
    Norco, CA WX: 52.5øF, 86.0% humidity, 0 mph ESE wind, 1.20 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to HusTler on Fri Apr 10 12:05:26 2020
    By: HusTler to Rampage on Fri Apr 10 2020 10:59 am

areas... that's kinda confusing to me because fidonet areas should not
    be
    available via QWK networking but should be available to normal QWK users... i may be missing something there though... maybe a flag or access setting? i

Is Fidonet available via QWK on vert?

Only for users, not QWKnet nodes.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #5:
    BBS = Bulletin Board System
    Norco, CA WX: 52.5øF, 86.0% humidity, 0 mph ESE wind, 1.20 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Rampage@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Apr 10 15:27:19 2020
    By: Digital Man to Rampage on Fri Apr 10 2020 12:04:37

Rampage>> evnt !Message from VERT on UNKNOWN QWK CONFERENCE NUMBER: 5001

I added a new QWKnet here on VERT (SciNet) and forgot to have it
    default off for new-scan configs.

ahhh, ok...

Rampage>> so i've just logged into vert with my sestar account and find
    Rampage>> some areas in other nets have been turned on... surprisingly,
    Rampage>> four of those are fidonet areas... that's kinda confusing to
    Rampage>> me because fidonet areas should not be available via QWK
    Rampage>> networking but should be available to normal QWK users...

They won't be. When you create a QWKnet packet, any FTNs will be automatically excluded unless I have them configured for gating
    between net-types (like this message aera).

ok... that makes sense in a way... it just seems like there'd be some sort of flag or access restriction so that no QWKnet systems can even see the FTN areas... i dunno... that probably stems from how i'm used to limiting access to areas, groups, and networks to avoid unintentional leakages... an example being sysop only areas that were discovered being leaked to everyone on some systems that didn't know about or ensure to set proper restrictions... that's what lead me to create multiple .na files for fidonet so they could be imported into certain groups with the necessary restrictions in place... so then, when a fidonet sysop signs up here, they get access to areas that normal users don't get... the same applies to systems connecting here for FTN mail... fido systems can't even see the areas carried here from other FTNs (or QWKnets) unless they are also members of those other FTNs (or QWKnets)... of course, the same goes for other FTNs connecting here that aren't also fidonet systems...

Rampage>> i may be missing something there though... maybe a flag or
    Rampage>> access setting? i dunno...

Nope, just my mistake.

ok... not a problem... it was just surprising to see and i thought i'd mention what i had found ;)

)\/(ark

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Rampage on Fri Apr 10 15:44:24 2020
    By: Rampage to Digital Man on Fri Apr 10 2020 03:27 pm

By: Digital Man to Rampage on Fri Apr 10 2020 12:04:37

Rampage>> evnt !Message from VERT on UNKNOWN QWK CONFERENCE NUMBER: 5001

I added a new QWKnet here on VERT (SciNet) and forgot to have it default off for new-scan configs.

ahhh, ok...

Rampage>> so i've just logged into vert with my sestar account and find
    Rampage>> some areas in other nets have been turned on... surprisingly,
    Rampage>> four of those are fidonet areas... that's kinda confusing to
    Rampage>> me because fidonet areas should not be available via QWK
    Rampage>> networking but should be available to normal QWK users...

They won't be. When you create a QWKnet packet, any FTNs will be automatically excluded unless I have them configured for gating
    between net-types (like this message aera).

ok... that makes sense in a way... it just seems like there'd be some sort of flag or access restriction so that no QWKnet systems can even see the
    FTN
    areas...

I could do that, but the result would be the same: the QWK packets would not include those area.

SciNet was different because I'm pulling it down as a QWKnet.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #19:
    Oh then, maybe it's not green. Anyway this is what I sleep in sometimes.
    Norco, CA WX: 56.0øF, 72.0% humidity, 3 mph WNW wind, 0.78 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Digital Man on Sat Apr 11 12:04:00 2020
    On 04-10-20 15:44, Digital Man wrote to Rampage <=-

ok... that makes sense in a way... it just seems like there'd be some sort of flag or access restriction so that no QWKnet systems can even see the
    FTN
    areas...

I could do that, but the result would be the same: the QWK packets
    would not include those area.

SciNet was different because I'm pulling it down as a QWKnet.

I use flags for access control to my QWKnets, so QWK downlinks can't accidentally turn on the wrong areas (and the ones they don't have permission to access behave the same as FTNs). If they want access to multiple QWKnets, they just have to ask and I'll tweak their access. Most QWKnets are pretty relaxed about access, but this is just an additional layer of foolproofing. :)

... Does a clean house show that there's a broken computer??
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)