• MX Records

From Prime@1:103/705 to All on Wed Apr 1 05:12:45 2020
    I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn, the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly, but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn, who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

If anyone has any experience with Dyn or perhaps knows of a better service for doing dynamic DNS with a custom domain, I would appreciate the input.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Retro Connect BBS
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Prime on Wed Apr 1 21:37:00 2020
    On 04-01-20 05:12, Prime wrote to All <=-

I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn,
    the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly,
    but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at
    a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn,
    who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the
    A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME
    for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

The syntax is the same, with the bbs. in front. Note that the MX can't point to a CNAME, you will need to point the MX to the bare domain that the CNAME points to. I don't know Dyn's interface, so I can't help with the specifics of
    entering the data. I could do it for BIND9 zone files, GoDaddy or afraid.org, as those are the systems and services I've used frequently.

In a BIND9 zone file, it would look like:

bbs.nakedweasels.com. IN MX nakedweasals.com. 5

I'm assuming Dyn updates the A record for nakedweasels.com.

... THE fIRST sTEP iS tO tAKE oFF tHE cAPS lOCK.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to Prime on Wed Apr 1 13:11:17 2020
    I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn, the
    current
    provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly, but the provider was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn, who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that can only update the IP for the A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

If anyone has any experience with Dyn or perhaps knows of a better service for doing dynamic DNS with a custom domain, I would appreciate the input.

I use dyn.com (still supported though yes it was sold) but not for MX. To edit
    your MX records on dyn.com ... log in (duh :-P) then under Services, select Services Overview, then under Zone Level Services (I use standard dns services)
    follow the link under your zone name, which will bring you to a page that allows you to edit your MX record(s) ... hope this helps

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS Lake Echo, NS Canada
  • From Prime@1:103/705 to Tony Langdon on Wed Apr 1 18:18:56 2020
    Re: Re: MX Records
    By: Tony Langdon to Prime on Wed Apr 01 2020 09:37 pm

On 04-01-20 05:12, Prime wrote to All <=-

I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my
    BBS.
    I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn, the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly, but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn, who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for
    the
    A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

The syntax is the same, with the bbs. in front. Note that the MX can't point to a CNAME, you will need to point the MX to the bare domain that the CNAME points to. I don't know Dyn's interface, so I can't help with the specifics of entering the data. I could do it for BIND9 zone files,
    GoDaddy
    or afraid.org, as those are the systems and services I've used frequently.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't quite figure out how Dyn wants me to input it. After some more playing with it, I'm starting to think I'm going to have to deal with their customer support -- not something I am looking forward to at all. lol

---
  • From Nelgin@1:103/705 to Prime on Wed Apr 1 16:23:31 2020
    Prime wrote:
    I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm
    OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn, the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly, but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn, who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

If anyone has any experience with Dyn or perhaps knows of a better service
    for doing dynamic DNS with a custom domain, I would appreciate the input.

---
    â–  Synchronet â–  Retro Connect BBS

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more often if your IP changes.

bbs.nakedweasels.com. 1 IN CNAME bbsname.synchro.net.

That's what I would do in BIND anyway.

---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Prime on Thu Apr 2 13:59:00 2020
    On 04-01-20 18:18, Prime wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

That's what I was thinking, but I can't quite figure out how Dyn wants
    me to input it. After some more playing with it, I'm starting to think
    I'm going to have to deal with their customer support -- not something
    I am looking forward to at all. lol

Unfortunately, it's those specifics of the interface that I can't help with. :(
    Everyone has different ways of doing things.

... Artificial Intelligence: No match for natural stupidity.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Nelgin on Thu Apr 2 14:50:00 2020
    On 04-01-20 16:23, Nelgin wrote to Prime <=-

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the
    Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes
    from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more
    often if your IP changes.

That doesn't answer the OP's question about adding a MX record for their system. CNAMEs have nothing to do with email (they're not allowed to). :)

... Necessity is the mother of invention
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Denn@1:103/705 to Prime on Wed Apr 1 23:52:13 2020
    Re: MX Records
    By: Prime to All on Wed Apr 01 2020 05:12 am

I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn,
    the
    current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly, but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn, who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

I use No-ip

---
    þ Synchronet þ outwestbbs.com - the Outwest BBS
  • From Nelgin@1:103/705 to Tony Langdon on Thu Apr 2 02:50:19 2020
    Tony wrote:

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the
    Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes
    from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more
    often if your IP changes.

That doesn't answer the OP's question about adding a MX record for their system. CNAMEs have nothing to do with email (they're not allowed to). :)

... Necessity is the mother of invention
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    â–  Synchronet â–  Vertrauen â–  Home of Synchronet â– 
    [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Geez, I need more sleep. K...ignore my previous post lol.

---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Nelgin on Thu Apr 2 20:41:00 2020
    On 04-02-20 02:50, Nelgin wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Geez, I need more sleep. K...ignore my previous post lol.

Haha OK. :D

... One good turn gets most of the blanket.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Prime@1:103/705 to Nelgin on Fri Apr 10 07:45:22 2020
    By: Nelgin to Prime on Wed Apr 01 2020 04:23 pm

Prime wrote:
    I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn, the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly,
    but
    the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn,
    who
    decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

---
    ­ Synchronet ­ Retro Connect BBS

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes from
    there.
    Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more often if your IP changes.

bbs.nakedweasels.com. 1 IN CNAME bbsname.synchro.net.

That gives me an idea. I may just go shopping for another domain name in a few.

---
  • From Prime@1:103/705 to Tony Langdon on Fri Apr 10 07:59:32 2020
    By: Tony Langdon to Nelgin on Thu Apr 02 2020 02:50 pm

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more often if your IP changes.

It still inspired me to just go buy a new domain name. :-P

I now own RetroConnect.org. I just need to actually configure it all.

---
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Prime on Sat Apr 11 11:32:00 2020
    On 04-10-20 07:59, Prime wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

It still inspired me to just go buy a new domain name. :-P

I now own RetroConnect.org. I just need to actually configure it all.

Nice one. :)

... Old hitchhikers never die-they just throw in the towel.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux