• SBBS/PHP/MYSQL

From Mortifis@1:103/705 to All on Sat Mar 21 12:22:06 2020
    It took a little messing around but I managed to get Synchronet Web Server to use php-cgi.exe 7.3.2 on Win7 X_86 (yes, I know php-fpm is faster) which has access to mysql 5.5.62 and works well with phpmyadmin 5.0.2 For me, I had to run php-cgi.exe as a server (ie start /b c:\php\php-cgi.exe -b 127.0.0.1:9000) and for phpmyadmin I had to use auth type config and supply the username/password in the config.inc.php file ... I will change this behavior later as well as get ssl to work properly.

http://alleycat.synchro.net:81/images/sbbs-php.jpg

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Sat Mar 21 13:06:10 2020
    Re: SBBS/PHP/MYSQL
    By: Mortifis to All on Sat Mar 21 2020 12:22 pm

It took a little messing around but I managed to get Synchronet Web Server to use php-cgi.exe 7.3.2 on Win7 X_86 (yes, I know php-fpm is faster) which has access to mysql 5.5.62 and works well with phpmyadmin 5.0.2 For me, I had to run php-cgi.exe as a server (ie start /b c:\php\php-cgi.exe -b 127.0.0.1:9000) and for phpmyadmin I had to use auth type config and supply the username/password in the config.inc.php file ... I will change this behavior later as well as get ssl to work properly.

Cool. Care to create how-to page at wiki.synchro.net?

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #58:
    R0DENT = Derogatory reference to a young BBS user of the 1990's
    Norco, CA WX: 62.2øF, 63.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat Mar 21 20:09:30 2020

Cool. Care to create how-to page at wiki.synchro.net?

digital man

Yes, I can do that, likely this week; Thank you for the invite. I'll do it for Windows 1st, then play around with Linux. One small issue I have is getting php-cgi to run as a background service, the 1st attempt at a *.vbs wasn't very stable. Any ideas?

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Sat Mar 21 16:13:54 2020
    Re: Re: SBBS/PHP/MYSQL
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Sat Mar 21 2020 08:09 pm

Yes, I can do that, likely this week; Thank you for the invite. I'll do
    it
    for Windows 1st, then play around with Linux. One small issue I have is getting php-cgi to run as a background service, the 1st attempt at a *.vbs wasn't very stable. Any ideas?

Maybe try this (I have not): https://www.howtogeek.com/50786/using-srvstart-to-run-any-application-as-a-wind ows-service/

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #55:
    POP3 = Post Office Protocol version 3
    Norco, CA WX: 65.2øF, 55.0% humidity, 4 mph N wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From alterego@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Sun Mar 22 09:35:19 2020

It took a little messing around but I managed to get Synchronet Web
    Server to use php-cgi.exe 7.3.2 on Win7 X_86 (yes, I know php-fpm is faster) which has access
    to mysql 5.5.62 and works well with phpmyadmin 5.0.2 For me, I had to
    run php-cgi.exe as a server (ie start /b c:\php\php-cgi.exe -b 127.0.0.1:9000) and for
    phpmyadmin I had to use auth type config and supply the username/password
    in the config.inc.php file ... I will change this behavior later as well as get ssl to
    work properly.

You did?

On linux I didnt need to do that, and I can probably test on Windows too. You needed a fairly recently build of Synchronet though, since Deuce fixed something that stopped php-cgi from working (as documented on the wiki). ...deon

... England has civilization but no culture.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to alterego on Sat Mar 21 17:57:34 2020
    By: alterego to Mortifis on Sun Mar 22 2020 09:35 am

On linux I didnt need to do that, and I can probably test on Windows too. You needed a fairly recently build of Synchronet though, since Deuce fixed something that stopped php-cgi from working (as documented on the wiki).

Just an FYI, the fix that Deuce made only applies to the *nix builds of sbbs and only affects sbbs when running non-daemonized.

There were no known or reported issues with the CGI support on the Windows build of sbbs.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #17:
    David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh... and clever. Norco, CA WX: 60.2øF, 66.0% humidity, 11 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From alterego@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Mar 22 14:20:54 2020
    By: Digital Man to alterego on Sat Mar 21 2020 05:57 pm

Just an FYI, the fix that Deuce made only applies to the *nix builds of
    sbbs and only affects sbbs when running non-daemonized.
    There were no known or reported issues with the CGI support on the
    Windows build of sbbs.

Ahh, OK, thanks, good to know.
    ...deon

... Extreme sorrow laughs; extreme joy weeps.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to alterego on Sun Mar 22 14:42:16 2020

It took a little messing around but I managed to get Synchronet Web Server to use php-cgi.exe 7.3.2 on Win7 X_86 (yes, I know php-fpm is faster) which has access
    to mysql 5.5.62 and works well with phpmyadmin 5.0.2 For me, I had to run php-cgi.exe as a server (ie start /b c:\php\php-cgi.exe -b 127.0.0.1:9000) and for
    phpmyadmin I had to use auth type config and supply the username/password in the config.inc.php file ... I will change this behavior later as well as get ssl to
    work properly.

You did?

On linux I didnt need to do that, and I can probably test on Windows too. You needed a fairly recently build of Synchronet though, since Deuce fixed something that stopped php-cgi from working (as documented on the wiki). ...deon

Yes, I am not sure why, but for some reason /php/php-cgi.exe is not being launched automagically on my system, so I have to have it running otherwise SBBS Synchronet Web Server (v 1.707 build on March 13, 2020) reports error 500 Internal Server Error.

I followed all of the wiki instructables for winblows but still need to have php-cgi.exe running in the background either as a windows service or in a command shell ... If your windows setup launches php-cgi.exe on the fly perhaps
    you can help shed some light on why some windows systems are having this issue ...

Thanks

~Mortifis

---
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Mar 22 14:55:57 2020
    By: alterego to Mortifis on Sun Mar 22 2020 09:35 am

On linux I didnt need to do that, and I can probably test on Windows
    too.
    You needed a fairly recently build of Synchronet though, since Deuce fixed something that stopped php-cgi from working (as documented on the wiki).

Just an FYI, the fix that Deuce made only applies to the *nix builds of
    sbbs
    and only affects sbbs when running non-daemonized.

There were no known or reported issues with the CGI support on the Windows build of sbbs.

digital man

I hadn't really thought much about sbbs->php support until recently, though I have been running some php cli scripts as Timed Events. There really aren't that many reasons to run php-cgi scripts from the webserver since there is a lack of dynmanic access to the js objets and such ... JS is definitely well supported and is the ideal interface, so my experiments are simply for SAGs ...
    JS is less capable of mysql support without the use of node.js :-/ which is my main purpose for sbbs webserver->php->mysql ... it is only an integration issue
    on Windows systems because of how shell scripts are handled by cmd.exe and some
    args are not being passed properly ... certainly a windows issue and not an SBBS issue

Though, perhaps I am incorrect and going about this in the wrong manner?

---
  • From Tracker1@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Thu Mar 26 05:56:36 2020
    On 3/21/2020 8:22 AM, Mortifis wrote:
    It took a little messing around but I managed to get Synchronet Web Server
    to
    use php-cgi.exe 7.3.2 on Win7 X_86 (yes, I know php-fpm is faster) which has access to mysql 5.5.62 and works well with phpmyadmin 5.0.2 For me, I had
    to
    run php-cgi.exe as a server (ie start /b c:\php\php-cgi.exe -b
    127.0.0.1:9000)
    and for phpmyadmin I had to use auth type config and supply the username/password in the config.inc.php file ... I will change this behavior later as well as get ssl to work properly.

Really dangerous exposing this to your public interface unpassworded...
    yeah, you covered the relative path, but still...

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1 +o Roughneck BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roughneck BBS - coming back 2/2/20