• No QWKE for BBS?

From Jagossel@1:103/705 to All on Tue Feb 5 08:32:00 2019
    I am just curious on something: in the Synchronet Wiki page explaining how
    to get DOVE-Net QWK packet network working, it mentions to set the QWK
    format to QWK and not QWKE. What would be the adverse effects if I had my QWK-ID to use QWKE instead of QWK? Is it a space or bandwith consideration, performance improvment, better backward compatatibility support, or
    something else?

-jag
    Code it, Script it, Automate it!

... ToXML documentation text: Toes the XML.
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.51
    þ Synchronet þ -- You've arrived! Disconnected Reality BBS -- discreal.ddns.net
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Jagossel on Tue Feb 5 11:43:55 2019
    Re: No QWKE for BBS?
    By: Jagossel to All on Tue Feb 05 2019 08:32 am

I am just curious on something: in the Synchronet Wiki page explaining how to get DOVE-Net QWK packet network working, it mentions to set the QWK format to QWK and not QWKE. What would be the adverse effects if I had my QWK-ID to use QWKE instead of QWK?

You might end up with extra/unnecessary lines in the message bodies of your downloaded QWK packets: From, To, and Subject.

Is it a space or bandwith consideration,
    performance improvment, better backward compatatibility support, or something else?

Synchronet already supports the HEADERS.DAT extension of QWK packets, so you don't need the QWKE header kludges (for fields > 25 chars in length) in the message bodies. And the extra files (e.g. TOREADER.EXT) aren't needed.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #43:
    Synchronet added Baja/PCMS support with v2.00a (1994).
    Norco, CA WX: 49.3øF, 85.0% humidity, 6 mph NNW wind, 0.31 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)