• Fidonet

From Melkor@1:103/705 to All on Sat Mar 7 20:58:54 2020
    Im trying to get fidonet setup on my bbs. Everything is fine until it tries to send my netmail app. binkit connects fine but then it says unable to open the .out file and not sent. Any ideas?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Star Frontiers BBS starfron.synchronetbbs.org
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Melkor on Sat Mar 7 16:04:02 2020
    Re: Fidonet
    By: Melkor to All on Sat Mar 07 2020 08:58 pm

Im trying to get fidonet setup on my bbs. Everything is fine until it tries to send my netmail app. binkit connects fine but then it says unable to
    open
    the .out file and not sent. Any ideas?

Post the exact/complete error message, please.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #40:
    IMAP = Internet Message Access Protocol
    Norco, CA WX: 60.3øF, 63.0% humidity, 3 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Rampage@1:103/705 to Melkor on Sat Mar 7 18:42:40 2020
    By: Melkor to All on Sat Mar 07 2020 20:58:54

Im trying to get fidonet setup on my bbs. Everything is fine
    until it tries to send my netmail app. binkit connects fine
    but then it says unable to open the .out file and not sent.
    Any ideas?

please post the output of your sbbsecho where it packed that message to the destination...
    please post the output of your binkit log where it attempted to deliver the out file...

the log for sbbsecho will generally be found in /sbbs/data/sbbsecho.log...
    the log for binkit will generally be found in the same place as your other event/service/bbs log data...

what we're looking for is the paths that each uses and ensuring they are the same...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Melkor@1:103/705 to Rampage on Sun Mar 8 01:55:29 2020
    By: Rampage to Melkor on Sat Mar 07 2020 06:42 pm

please post the output of your sbbsecho where it packed that message to the destination... please post the output of your binkit log where it attempted to deliver the out file...
    Packing netmail (1.msg) from William Williams (1:19/9999) to Marc Lewis (1:19/0) attr 0181, subject: fidonet app
    SBBSecho (pid 11141) exiting error level 0, netmail (0 imported, 1 exported, 1 packed)
    Binkout connects to his system fine then says unable to open '../sbbs/fido/outbound/0013000.out' not sent.
    I was told to try changing ownership of the /sbbs folder tree when I did that it sent 2 messages. Then I wrote another one to appoligize and explain the problem and had the same problem sending it.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Star Frontiers BBS starfron.synchronetbbs.org
  • From Rampage@1:103/705 to Melkor on Sun Mar 8 13:48:58 2020
    By: Melkor to Rampage on Sun Mar 08 2020 01:55:29

Melkor> I was told to try changing ownership of the /sbbs folder
    Melkor> tree when I did that it sent 2 messages. Then I wrote
    Melkor> another one to appoligize and explain the problem and
    Melkor> had the same problem sending it.

yeah, sounds like a classic permissions problem... to make things easy, i run everything as the same user and never use root... the BBS and mailer(s) are started when the system boots and then they drop privs to the normal user privs after they have opened the necessary low range ports... since everything is running as the same user and the entire BBS directory tree is owned by that user, there's no problems...

IF, on the other hand, you are using (eg) var/spool/something for mailer transfers, that can cause problems that are a little harder to work around but can be done...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to Rampage on Mon Mar 9 08:19:00 2020
    On 03-08-20 13:48, Rampage wrote to Melkor <=-

yeah, sounds like a classic permissions problem... to make things easy,
    i run everything as the same user and never use root... the BBS and mailer(s) are started when the system boots and then they drop privs to the normal user privs after they have opened the necessary low range ports... since everything is running as the same user and the entire
    BBS directory tree is owned by that user, there's no problems...

I start everything as the BBS user, which means using the "setcap" method to give sbbs permission to bind low ports as a non root user. This is documented on the Synchronet wiki "Running SBBS as a non root user" or similar.

IF, on the other hand, you are using (eg) var/spool/something for
    mailer transfers, that can cause problems that are a little harder to
    work around but can be done...

I use binkp mailer sessions between my 2 BBSs on the same host, because it's the easiest way to get around permissions issues, since each BBS runs as a different user. Also, they started out on separate machines, so keeping binkp as the transport means minimal changes were eneded.

... I said Crusher, NOT Crush her! -Worf to his brother Kurn.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)