• SlyEdit ^H issues?

From Sprite@1:103/705 to All on Wed Jan 15 13:09:29 2020
    Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this or not, but I'll just assume that it is for now. Has anybody else had issues when trying to backspace either via backspace or ^H manually? When I attempt to do that from within the message body now (as opposed to at the end of the message), it acts like somebody is pressing the Delete key, and if I press Delete instead, it acts as backspace. At the end of a message backspace and manual ^H work just as they're supposed to, though.
    Not having issues with this kind of behavior anywhere else in the BBS, except for a small bit of issue on a remote system that I connect to through telgate. Just curious as to whether or not there's some sort of an easy fix for this behavior.
    Thanks!

---
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Sprite on Wed Jan 15 13:20:14 2020
    Re: SlyEdit ^H issues?
    By: Sprite to All on Wed Jan 15 2020 01:09 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this or not, but I'll just assume that it is for now. Has anybody else had issues when trying to backspace either via backspace or ^H manually? When I attempt to do that from within the message body now (as opposed to at the end of the message), it acts like somebody is pressing the Delete key, and if I press Delete instead, it acts as backspace. At the end of a message backspace and
    manual
    ^H work just as they're supposed to, though.
    Not having issues with this kind of behavior anywhere else in the BBS, except for a small bit of issue on a remote system that I connect to
    through
    telgate. Just curious as to whether or not there's some sort of an easy fix for this behavior.

Are you using a Mac by chance? You could try enabling the swap DEL/BS option under your user default settings and see if that helps.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #29:
    I find lost luggage. I locate mandolin strings in the middle of Austin!
    Norco, CA WX: 65.1øF, 57.0% humidity, 2 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Alterego@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Jan 16 15:26:44 2020
    By: Digital Man to Sprite on Wed Jan 15 2020 01:20 pm

Are you using a Mac by chance? You could try enabling the swap DEL/BS option under your user default settings and see if that helps.

I use a Mac, and dont have any problems...
    ...deon

... To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Alterego on Wed Jan 15 20:58:43 2020
    By: Alterego to Digital Man on Thu Jan 16 2020 03:26 pm

By: Digital Man to Sprite on Wed Jan 15 2020 01:20 pm

I use a Mac, and dont have any problems...

Cool. The Mac key where the "backspace" key normally is on a PC keyboard sends the DEL sequence (0x7f) rather than backspace (0x08) and can cause issues with some terminal programs or servers (e.g. BBSes).

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #19:
    Oh then, maybe it's not green. Anyway this is what I sleep in sometimes.
    Norco, CA WX: 53.3øF, 75.0% humidity, 1 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Sprite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Jan 16 07:03:47 2020
    By: Digital Man to Sprite on Wed Jan 15 2020 13:20:14

Nope, I'm using a PC with linux, syncterm is what I'm using to connect. I don't remember if I was having the same issue with standard telnet or not.

---
  • From Grease@1:103/705 to Sprite on Thu Jan 16 10:37:59 2020
    By: Sprite to All on Wed Jan 15 2020 01:09 pm

just assume that it is for now. Has anybody else had issues when trying
    to
    backspace either via backspace or ^H manually? When I attempt to do that from within the message body now (as opposed to at the end of the message), it acts like somebody is pressing the Delete key, and if I
    press
    Delete instead, it acts as backspace. At the end of a message backspace and manual ^H work just as they're supposed to, though.

It wasn't doing this yesterday, but it is this morning. I am using the ICE version of SlyEdit. Running Linux. This happened to me before. I exited out back to the main menu and the resumed my new search. When I entered another message, it worked fine. Like now.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Documentation - The worst part of programming.

---
    þ Synchronet þ DARK MATTER BBS <<*>> darkmatt.synchro.net <<*>> Howdy, Y'all!
  • From Sprite@1:103/705 to Grease on Thu Jan 16 17:11:54 2020
    By: Grease to Sprite on Thu Jan 16 2020 10:37:59

It wasn't doing this yesterday, but it is this morning. I am using the
    ICE
    version of SlyEdit. Running Linux. This happened to me before. I exited out back to the main menu and the resumed my new search. When I entered another message, it worked fine. Like now.

I noticed that you were typing the bit above which I quoted at the end of the message, and not in the middle of it. I think that's the key difference. If you're typing something at the end of the message, backspace works just fine. If you're typing with text below what you've written, backspace works like delete (as does manual ^H).

---
  • From Grease@1:103/705 to Sprite on Fri Jan 17 10:25:38 2020
    By: Sprite to Grease on Thu Jan 16 2020 05:11 pm

I noticed that you were typing the bit above which I quoted at the end of the message, and not in the middle of it. I think that's the key difference. ,

I see. I can't get rid of your comma there.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... A bachelor never makes the same mistake once.

---
    þ Synchronet þ DARK MATTER BBS <<*>> darkmatt.synchro.net <<*>> Howdy, Y'all!
  • From Sprite@1:103/705 to Grease on Sat Jan 18 09:07:32 2020
    By: Grease to Sprite on Fri Jan 17 2020 10:25:38

I see. I can't get rid of your comma there.

Yup. It's quite a pain in the butt; I like to reply in-line, to keep the dialog clear and flowing, so it really sucks until I reach the end of the whole message. It's a shame because I love SlyEdit other than that.

---