• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/30/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.107.199.65 with SMTP id x62mr7318697iof.130.1506838140664;
    Sat, 30 Sep 2017 23:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.157.52.54 with SMTP id v51mr127521otb.10.1506838140623; Sat,
    30 Sep 2017 23:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!paganini.bofh.team !weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!feeder.usenetexpress.com!feeder-in1.iad1. usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com !nntp.giganews.com!v62no1704004itd.0!news-out.google.com!p6ni2382itp.0!nntp.goo gle.com!v62no1707891itd.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.co m!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 23:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=68.185.217.96;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.185.217.96
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <5cee1c21-951b-4a65-8aed-599de75ff64e@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/30/17
    Injection-Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 06:09:00 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Lines: 119
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:955

Saturday, 09/30/17 2 to 6:10 PM at Y2Komics, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

This was another of our irregularly scheduled weekend sessions. We had two gamers at one table this sunny afternoon.

First up, my Battle Cry, which was new to Michael L. We played three scenarios,
    twice each.

Scenario #1 - First Bull Run (July 21, 1861)
    Game #1 - Michael L took the Union forces and I commanded the Confederates. My early cavalry attacks on my left were repulsed, and I took several casualties. Later I drew a string of good cards for the center (e.g. activate either 3 or all center units). This allowed me to quickly take the central ridge line with three infantry units and one artillery unit, and pour fire down upon the Yankee
    infantry. And even though they were at long range, my fire was telling. The coup-de-grace was when I forced a unit with an attached general to retreat off the board. Boom, two flags at once! Game over.

Scores: Michael W / CSA 6, Michael L / USA 4. Duration: 32 minutes.

Game #2 - Same scenario, after turning the board around. Now it was Michael L attacking with his Rebel cavalry. He had more success than I did last game. He severely damaged my lone cavalry unit, and destroyed one of my infantry units. I counter-attacked and killed both his cavalry units. His Confederates gained the ridge line in the center and shot up my central infantry. I then counter-attacked in the center. We exchanged fire here for several turns, both taking hits. Eventually I prevailed, barely. A close run thing, our figurine losses were the same, 25. But I'd eked out one more flag for the win.

Scores: Michael W / USA 6, Michael L / CSA 5. Duration: 33 minutes.

Scenario #2 - Pea Ridge (March 7, 1862)
    Game #3 - I ran the Union forces and Michael L commanded the Confederates. In brief, even though the Rebels had a slight numerical superiority, they mostly began behind scattered woods hexes that blocked their fire. Also, their initial
    rush up on to the hills I held on my left didn't go well at all. They lost 2 of their 3 cavalry units fairly quickly. Michael L used the cover of the woods to advance unseen. Though eventually he had to come out into the sunlight. When
    he did my fire was much more accurate than his. His infantry died in droves, while mine took few hits. I was doing so well I never bothered to activate the four units on my left baseline. I didn't need them.

Scores: Michael W / USA 6, Michael L / CSA 2. Duration: 26 minutes.

Game #4 - Same scenario, after turning the board around. Now I ran the Rebel side and Michael L the Federals. And... this battle played out almost exactly as the last one (even down to the duration!).

Scores: Michael L / USA 6, Michael W / CSA 2. Duration: 26 minutes.

Scenario #2 - Kernstown (March 23, 1862)
    Game #5 - Michael L commanded the Union army, while I ran the Confederate side.
    I did my best to gain the central fence line. I did, then I attacked. But my dice had gone cold. In the slugfest that ensued my opponent's dice were telling
    while mine mostly rolled retreats or misses. My Rebels were cut to pieces. Then, late in the game, my troops rallied and came on with a vengeance. Suddenly my dice were hot again. And even though our figurine losses were almost the same (19 tp 22), I managed to finish off more Yankee units to win.

Scores: Michael W / CSA 6, Michael L / USA 4. Duration: 32 minutes.

Game #6 - Same scenario, after turning the board around. Now I ran the Federals
    and Michael L the Confederates. My opponent did a good job overall gaining the
    central fence line. For the longest my cards were lousy, so my attacks were sporadic and often not effective. Conversely the Rebel's attacks devastated my troops. I pushed the gray coats off the fence line, but they kept returning. And when they did they'd decimate my units with accurate fire. My forces buckled under the withering onslaught, and were crushed, as the Rebel dice were
    on fire.

Scores: Michael L / CSA 6, Michael W / USA 2. Duration: 25 minutes.

In summary, Michael W won four games of Battle Cry, and Michael L two. Even so,
    Michael L really liked the game.

Next up, my Mancala. We used the Egyptian rules.
    Game #1 - I exploited the Egyptian rule than allowed one to keep taking turns if your last stone was placed in your mancala.
    Scores: Michael W 26, Michael L 16. Duration: 7 minutes.

Game #2 - My opponent managed to "starve" my side of the board and make me pass. When I did he took the rest of the stones (about 25), which were all on his side.
    Scores: Michael L 40, Michael W 8. Duration: 4 minutes.

Game #3 - I then did the same to him.
    Scores: Michael W 39, Michael L 9. Duration: 4 minutes.

Game #4 - Early in the game I made three significant captures by tossing my last stone in an empty bowl on my side and gaining 5-8 enemy stones across from
    them each time. Plus, I got about a dozen more at game end when my opponent passed. On my last turn I made 8 moves in a row!
    Scores: Michael W 33, Michael L 15. Duration: 4 minutes.

In summary, Michael W won three games of Mancala, and Michael L one.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)