• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/19/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.202.7.5 with SMTP id 5mr2145935oih.62.1505890569232;
    Tue, 19 Sep 2017 23:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.36.80.78 with SMTP id m75mr48609itb.2.1505890569188; Tue, 19
    Sep 2017 23:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!newsfeed.datemas.d e!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!feeder.usenetexpress.com!feeder-in1.iad1 .usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!o200no65343 1itg.0!news-out.google.com!p6ni1383itp.0!nntp.google.com!o200no653430itg.0!post news.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 23:56:08 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=68.185.217.96;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.185.217.96
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <fb2a1520-3184-4896-b41d-f6b57d2c78a0@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/19/17
    Injection-Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 06:56:09 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Lines: 129
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:952

Tuesday, 09/19/17 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

Table #1 - Written by Duane

Gamers: Chris, Connor, Corey, Duane, John, Trevor

We started with two players - Connor & Duane playing Duane’s original card game ‘Fluxx’. We started a second table thinking more would show up after the 6:08 start we did tonight. Wow…we were right about that! We started playing and within a few minutes Chris and John showed up and jumped into the game. About 10 minutes into the game Corey showed up and also joined up. Chris won game one in 17 minutes. We played one more as Chris and John now understood a bit better. As we were playing Trevor showed up and was added to our group. We finished game two in 16 minutes with Connor winning.

The next game was Trevor’s 'Coup'. Both Duane and Connor played this last week with one of the Michaels. This time we had six playing… a bit different
    strategy with six players. Each game plays fast as you eliminate players pretty quickly in this game. Game one was over in 10 minutes with Corey winning and game two was over in 9 minutes with John winning.

We then split the group into two and Trevor took Chris and John over to play one of his games whereas Duane, Connor, and Corey stayed at table II. We then
    played ‘Trailer Park Wars’ - a game where you want to have the snazziest classiest, most redneck trailer park in the land. You can play cards and events on your park or your neighbors… good or bad. Most pink flamingos wins
    the game. It took 38 minutes to finish the game with Corey winning first with 42 pink flamingos decorating his trailer park, Conner a close 2nd with 40, and Duane a distant 3rd with a poor showing of only 17 flamingos.

Corey said he only had about 20 minutes so we played the ‘Catan: the Dice Game’. In 24 minutes, final scores were Corey 69 points (with a 21 point city at the last roll). Conner 2nd with 34 pts and Duane at 29 pts for third.

Table #2 - Trevor’s Concordia. Scores: Trevor 111, Chris K 86, John 83.

Table #3 - My Troy. Its one of the Settlers of Catan historical scenarios. It was new to Aaron and Trish, though they were veterans of the base game.

Here's a photo of the bare board (for 6 players) http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/633608/die-siedler-von-catan-historische-sze narien-ii .
    We were randomly and secretly assigned to a faction. Two players would
    support Mycenae and two would support Troy in the Trojan war. We would only reveal our allegiance at game end. We would all gain victory points in the normal way (via settlements, cities, Longest Road, etc.) plus we would earn additional points if/when our side won battles in the war. The game would
    end either when someone gained 15 points or the war ended, and whoever was ahead would be the winner. The game either plays six (3 vs.3) or four (2 vs.. 2). Since we had the latter today I folded the right most panel of the board underneath.

Set-Up and play order: Aaron, Zach, Michael, then Trish. As a taste of what was
    to come, Aaron put his first settlement on an excellent 6/9/12 lumber/brick/wool juncture. The rest of us then grabbed mainly potentially high
    yield 5, 6, 8, or 9 vertices. So we adequately covered the probabilities. But that's only half the story. The rest is what the dice do. And the dice tonight *heavily* favored Aaron. In no time he had taken Longest Road.

On the seas Trish held sway for the most part, eventually building five of her seven ships along the southern coast of Anatolia. Aaron followed suit on the northern coast, eventually constructing three ships. Zach, who had a terrible time gaining any lumber, eventually built one ship in the Aegean Sea. On my last turn I built two ships in the Adriatic Sea. It took me that long to scrape
    up a couple of wool.

No one rolled a 7 the first half of the game, which is odd. The dice made up for this in the second half of the game. This especially negatively affected me. Four times when a 7 was rolled I had to discard 4-5 cards each time.. That's right, I had to throw away 18-20 cards. Zach thought that was all quite funny. When Trish whinned about the one time she had to toss 4 cards I rolled my eyes; oh please. Compared to what I suffered that was nothing. The other side of the coin was very often Aaron would be holding 10+ cards and no 7 would
    be rolled. Obviously the dice gods loved him today.

So, basically Aaron slowly but steadily chugged to victory. It was obvious 45 minutes in he was going to win, by a long shot. And so it came to pass.

As to contributing to the war effort, I did so heavily to my Mycenae side the first half of the game (twice as much as anyone else). That got me 6+ trade chips and nothing to spend them on, as I couldn't get any wool to build ships. So I quit doing so. Meanwhile I think the whole game Zach only threw a card in twice. Just enough to get two trade chips to build one ship. Trish must have gained at least 13 trade chips from supporting her faction. Aaron rarely contributed.

As to our battles, Mycenae won the first (mainly due to me). Troy won the second battle, Mycenae the third, and Troy the fourth (mainly due to Aaron). So
    basically we all ended up earning two points each via war victories.

When Aaron declared victory we all turned our faction cards over. I think none of us had any idea who had been on what side. Now we saw Aaron and Zach had been the Trojans and Trish and I were the Greeks.

Scores: Aaron 15 (four settlements, three cities, one VP ship, Longest Road, two war points), Michael W 8 (one settlement, two cities, one VP ship, two war points), Trish 8 (two settlements, one cities, two VP ships, two war points), Zach E 6 (four settlements, two war points). Duration: one hour and 47 minutes.
    Everyone enjoyed the game.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)