• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/12/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.31.34.139 with SMTP id i133mr9350883vki.100.1505285572203;
    Tue, 12 Sep 2017 23:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.36.60.9 with SMTP id m9mr92829ita.0.1505285572031; Tue, 12
    Sep 2017 23:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!border1.nntp.ams1. giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!p eer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!n ews.highwinds-media.com!b1no2001411qtc.1!news-out.google.com!c139ni536itb.0!nnt p.google.com!o200no698052itg.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegrou ps.com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 23:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=68.185.217.96;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.185.217.96
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <80aee0d8-ca62-440f-8e50-af0f509ccabc@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/12/17
    Injection-Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 06:52:52 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    X-Received-Bytes: 7874
    X-Received-Body-CRC: 1776588458
    Lines: 127
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:951

Tuesday, 09/12/17 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We eventually had seven gamers at two tables, including newcomers Austin T and Corey.

Table #1 - Written by Duane

Players: Connor, Duane, Michael L (Followed later by Corey-A newbie)

Our first game was D’s and it was another Fluxx - this one ‘Batman Fluxx’. New to all. The only difference from the others is that the bad guys (the Creepers) can win the game and/or prevent the good guys (Batman, Robin, Batgirl etc..) from winning. Of course, the good guys can win if they put all the creepers away in either the jail or out of the game. We played three games (5 min, 7 min, 9 min) with Michael L winning two and Connor winning
    one.

We then played Michael L’s ‘Coup’. Each game was a short play (none more
    than 10 minutes). New to Connor and Duane. Short Description from BGG: You are head of a family in an Italian city-state, a city run by a weak and corrupt
    court. You need to manipulate, bluff and bribe your way to power. Your object is to destroy the influence of all the other families, forcing them into exile.
    Only one family will survive...
    We played nine games. Each game took (in minutes): 5 mins, 3,4,3,4,2,3,3,3. Michael won 4, Duane 3, and Connor won 2 games.

Game three we were joined by a new guy (Corey) who said he had heard about us and wanted to see what it all was about. We started playing Michael’s Pandemic - a co-op game where you have to eliminate four worldwide epidemics. Everyone had at least played once before. We played two games. Our first one was only 13 minutes long as we had two Pandemic cards in the first 8 cards and lost by having 8 outbreaks in that time. No way in the world we could have won
    that one! We then started again. Within 2 turns Michael had eliminated the blue virus. Connor was killing off hot spots right and left. Corey was a good
    administrator pointing out where who could play (he’s played this game dozens of times he said), and Duane just put out fires. Michael was able to snuff out the yellow virus a few turns later. Duane built a research lab and eliminated the black virus and the next turn Michael killed off the yellow to win the game for us. All of that happened in 23 minutes! Wow… that’s fast for that game.

Then the other table finished their game and a player left and Michael needed another player so Michael L went over to the other table so that the three Michaels could play together. Duane pulled out his new game Bitox. This is a mad scientist game where you breed microbes. But too many and they react causing chaos which might be good or bad for your neighbors and almost ALWAYS bad for you. You pull microbes out of a bag and can place them on your experiment or your neighbors. Yours for a possible score or your neighbors to create a reaction and chaos. When a person pulls out the white microbe from the bag, the round is over. Play for three rounds. First round was as follows: Corey: 34 pts., Duane: 29 pts., Connor: 23 pts. Second round: Corey 35 pts, Connor 25 pts, Duane 12 pts. There is a special catch up clause in this game called the ‘Eureka clause’. If you are more than 25 points behind the leader you can secretly declare a certain count of a microbe and if you end round three with that EXACT number of that microbe you get 25 pts. Both Duane and Connor got to declare the Eureka clause. End of round three: Connor: 53 pts + he made his Eureka choice (+25 pts) = 78 pts., Duane 30 pts. and Corey 2 pts. Final score: 1st - Connor: 126 pts., 2nd - Corey: 81 pts., 3rd - Duane: 71 pts. 31 minutes..

We had a few minutes left so we played one more game of Batman Fluxx - Corey won in 23 minutes.

Table #2 - First, my Hansa, which was new to Austin T. Play order was Michael W, Michael Z, then Austin T. As to replenishing the warehouses with goods, my opponents took care of that every time but once, when I spent the taler for it.

Michael Z jumped into the lead on his very first turn selling about 14 points of goods in one fell swoop. Austin was next to sell goods, though nowhere near as much. I spent the first quarter of the game merely setting up market booths.
    By the time I began selling goods I was *way* behind Michael Z. Eventually I managed to catch up with Austin. But Michael Z's mound of sold goods markers was totally out of reach.

I hoped my edge in infrastructure would help me a lot in final scoring. Yet in the last two rounds of the game my opponents both plopped down enough market booths to rival me. No one ended up with any monopolies.

Scores (unsold goods + sold goods + market booths): Michael Z 58 (0+42+16), Michael W 44 (0+30+14), Austin 42 (2+26+14). Duration: one hour and 32 minutes (twice as long as it should have taken!) Austin enjoyed the game.

Austin left and Michael L joined us for my Eight-Minute Empire, which was new to Michael L. I bid high (2 gold) and chose the play order of: Michael Z, Michael L, then me. I hoped getting the last turn would allow me to win.

Goods type collection was catch as catch can. Early on we expanded across the sea to other continents. We staked out one each. Ah, then the encroaching began. By the end we were all over the place. Yet at game end I think there were still 1-2 empty regions.

When I began the last turn of the game I had hoped for a "move 5 blocks" card to appear. I'd saved enough money to buy it. Alas the best card in the display of six was a "move 3". Even so, I hoped it would be enough. Close but no cigar.
    The best I could do was deny my opponents a couple of region/continent points by engineering ties in regions. Almost enough, but not quite..

In final scoring we all made 6-7 points with goods, 5-6 points via regions, and
    1 point each for continents. I'd lost by a point. But we had to go to the coins left tie breaker to determine the winner. Michael Z had one more coin than Michael L (4 vs. 3). I told them this game often goes to the tie breakers.

Scores: Michael Z 13 (won tie), Michael L 13, Michael W 12. Duration: 29 minutes. We all enjoyed the game.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)