• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/05/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.107.70.22 with SMTP id t22mr1089762ioa.8.1504683175458;
    Wed, 06 Sep 2017 00:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.36.36.81 with SMTP id f78mr262952ita.9.1504683175423; Wed,
    06 Sep 2017 00:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!weretis.net!feeder 4.news.weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!feeder.usenetexpress.com!feeder-in1 .iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!k189no 177881itk.0!news-out.google.com!c139ni118itb.0!nntp.google.com!127no178583itw.0 !postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 00:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=68.116.139.222;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.116.139.222
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <9630457c-6074-4e99-b44f-c3ace3ff3be5@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 09/05/17
    Injection-Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 07:32:55 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Lines: 95
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:950

Tuesday, 09/05/17 6 to 9:12 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We had ten gamers at two tables, including newcomer Meg W.

Table #1 - Written by Duane.
    Participants: Aaron (new), Connor, Duane, Meg W (new), Michael Z, Zach E

Our first game of the evening was nearly our only game… the table decided on another round of Robo Rally as it has been about three weeks since we last played and they wanted more. The two newbies didn’t know better so went with
    the decision. We initially started with 3 flags on two boards (Vault (staring
    board) and Spin. After the first hour, we threw out Spin as we were having a heck of a time just getting to flag one on the vault board. The first flag was
    in between lasers and conveyor belts making it a dickens to get to. As it was, we all converged on flag one and it became a massive push/pull/laser blasting time during multiple rounds with lots of push off the board events. Michael quickly got to the first flag in the first 10 minutes of the game but lost control of his robot on the conveyor belts and could not leave the Vault board to get to the spin board for flag 2. It was an hour later when Zach finally got to flag 1. Michael had been pushed off of the board twice by then and having a heck of a time restarting. Duane played in the center of the board
    getting bonus program cards instead of going for the flags which he used later
    to deflect damage from his bot. Duane got to flag 1 by the time Zach got to flag 2 about 1 hr. 35 mins into the game. The program cards used to program the bots were almost fully used each turn with six players (x9 program registers each)and thus we were reshuffling the deck every turn. Connor got to flag one at 1 hour 55 minutes. At two hours Michael had his final bot blown up and was out of the game. Zach finally got to flag 3 ending the game at 2 hours and 8 minutes.

Stats: Aaron - Spin Bot - Pushed off board x1; Connor - Zoom Bot - Pushed into
    a pit; Duane - Hammer Bot - Pushed off board x1; Meg W - Twonky - Pushed off
    the board x2; Michael - Twitch Bot (destroyed) - 1 pit & 3 pushed off board; Zach - Hulk - 1 pushed off board (actually left edge at 3 forward program!)

Final Score: Zach 1st - all 3 flags, Duane 2nd - 1 flag, Connor 3rd - 1 flag, 4th (tie) Aaron & Meg - 0 flags, 6th Michael Z - Destroyed (out of game)

Zach & Michael Z took off and as we had only about 30 minutes to play we decided that game two was a new Fluxx that Connor had to play - Chemistry Fluxx. Duane got this at Gen Con as this was a new set introduced this year.
    Only one Creeper card (canned ham)(which has NOTHING to do with chemistry). Same as other fluxx games… have the Keepers in front of you (which are chemical symbols Na for Sodium, Cl for Chlorine etc… or beaker, test tube, equipment stuff) and then goal cards like Salt (Na + Cl) to win. Turns out Meg is a Chemistry Major and started throwing chemistry jokes around the table.
    Good ones too!! Twenty-two minutes later Aaron won the game by playing a Play ALL rule card which allowed him to place a new rule which matched keepers he had and played from his hand to win.

Table #2 - My Goa, which was new to Trish and Michael L. Emanuel had played once, about two years ago. Michael L was randomly assigned the flag (and three less gold) to begin the game. Thereafter it would be auctioned off for each subsequent round. Soon we were all attempting to found our first colonies.

The new players did well picking up on the strategy tips I gave them. So overall we had a fairly close game. Even so, near the end I knew either Michael
    L or I would win, but it would be *very* close. I did have one set back near the end when I initially failed to found my 4th colony. The chance of it succeeding being 89% was cold comfort when Trish turned over two 1's and I was one colonist short. Arrrg!, a wasted turn. It worked on my next attempt. But Goa can be a games of inches, and I feared Michael L had passed me by at that point.

Eventually we finished and it was time for final scoring. Three of us were fairly close in points earned from our Success boards (22 - 28). Emanuel lagged
    there with only 15 points. But he made up for it somewhat in other areas. For instance, he got the 3 bonus points for most money at game end. Plus he had a
    point Mission tile and a 4 point Duty tile. Yet he and Trish only founded two of their four colonies. That hurt them a bit.

Scores (Success board + colonies + expedition cards + Most money + single plantations + Duty tile + Mission tiles): Michael W 39 (26+10+3+0+0+0+0),Michael L 38 (28+6+3+0+1+0+0), Emanuel 32 (15+6+1+3+0+4+3), Trish L 26 (22+3+1+0+0+0+0). Duration: two hours and 21 minutes. Everyone enjoyed the game.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)