• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 08/12/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.107.7.10 with SMTP id 10mr13765944ioh.117.1502609665795;
    Sun, 13 Aug 2017 00:34:25 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.36.70.13 with SMTP id j13mr124011itb.10.1502609665746; Sun,
    13 Aug 2017 00:34:25 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septe mber.org!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1 .xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer03.iad!fe ed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!m34no611819iti.0!news-out.go ogle.com!19ni1468itw.0!nntp.google.com!m34no615386iti.0!postnews.google.com!gle groupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 00:34:25 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=71.14.132.165;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.14.132.165
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <4e382bd6-5ef9-41a8-abd4-f45e6cd8d2d2@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 08/12/17
    Injection-Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 07:34:25 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    X-Received-Bytes: 6331
    X-Received-Body-CRC: 4280081036
    Lines: 108
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:944

Saturday, 08/12/17 2 to 8 PM at Y2Komics, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

This was another of our irregularly scheduled weekend sessions. We had two gamers at one table this afternoon.

Our first game was my The Rivals for Catan, which was new to Justin. We used the Era of Gold theme deck. The first 3/4's of the game we stuck to drawing from the basic game's three decks. During that time we built our infrastructure
    (roads, settlements, and at least one city each). The struggle for the Trade token didn't take off until the game was 2/3's over. Justin snagged the Hero token about half way into the game, and then basically kept it.

Justin was the first to begin drawing cards from the Era of Gold decks. I soon followed suit. A little later I built one of the two Merchant Guild buildings that was a prerequisite for many of the other Era of Gold buildings. Justin soon built the other. I then built a Mint, and... Justin then built one.

I then went on a city building spree, as my ore and grain production had been doubled most of the game, due to my iron foundry and grain mill buildings. On what turned out to be the last turn of the game, I wrested the Trade token from
    Justin and built a fourth city to sprint the last leg to victory..

This was my 19th game and the first where the "?"/(event) die face didn't come up enough for us to ever see the Yule event card, and reshuffle the event deck.
    The brigand attacks never cost either of us anything this game, which is unusual.

For 95% of the game I had the skill (green harps) advantage. Also, I built an Abbey very early on, and had a four card hand 98% of the game.

Scores: Michael W 12 (1 settlement, 4 cities, 2 buildings, Trade token), Justin
    J 9 (2 settlements, 2 cities, 2 buildings, Hero token). We both built the same two city expansion buildings: Merchant Guild and Mint. Duration: one hour and 42 minutes. Justin enjoyed the game.

Next up, my Hive, which was also new to Justin. We played four games. I allowed
    Justin, as the new player, to have the first move advantage every game..

Game #1 - I was on the attack by my third move and had Justin's bee pinned by the fourth move. The noose soon tightened around his bee, while he failed to even pin mine. Victory to Michael W in 11 minutes.

Game #2 - Basically ditto. My bee kept slip-sliding away; again never pinned. Victory to Michael W in 9 minutes.

Game #3 - Ah, Justin was finally able to pin my bee. But it was a bit late, as I'd almost surrounded his bee by then. I soon completed the maneuver. Victory to Michael W in 6 minutes.

Game #4 - Justin did something new. He went on the attack with both his beetles. By the sixth turn I saw I was going to lose. Justin had a beetle on top of my bee and only needed three moves to finish surrounding it. Alas, I needed four turns to surround his bee. I got the job 5/6's done. Close but no cigar. Victory to Justin J in 5 minutes. I believe Justin liked Hive.

We then played my Caesar and Cleopatra, which was new to Justin. He took the Egyptians, leaving me the Romans. As in most games, the vast majority of the influence cards played were face up. Justin played his Actions cards at a faster clip than I did. So his Action deck ran out about 80% of the way through
    the game. Mine lasted until very near the end. Though my influence deck ran out while he still had about five cards in his. To stretch my influence I reverted to playing only one per turn.

As to winning patricians, I took an early lead and kept it. I think at the half
    way point I had 7 to Justin's 3. That ratio remained about the same. Unusually, on the last turn we had two patricians tied in influence, so no one got them.

Final scoring: I had 12 patricians to Justin's 7. Justin got 1 point for having
    the majority of Praetors. I got 4 for majority of the other four patricians. And I made 1 more point for having all of one class of patricians (Aedilis).
    Both of us achieved our secret goal, for 2 points each. Total scores: Michael W 19, Justin J 10. Duration: 62 minutes, which is bit long. Justin enjoyed the
    game.

Lastly, we played my Yinsh, which was also new to Justin. He took to it like a duck to water and kept me on the defense most of the game. Near the end we'd both removed two of our five rings. The player to remove their third ring would
    win. I was pretty sure that wasn't going to be me. For my remaining rings had literally been sidelined, while most of Justin's controlled the center. Yet I put up a brave defense and thwarted him for about four more turns. But then I ran out of options, and he lowered the boom. He formed another row of five black markers and removed a third ring. Victory to Justin J in 25 minutes. He liked the game.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)