• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 08/08/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.99.158.17 with SMTP id s17mr4677413pgd.141.1502261436631;
    Tue, 08 Aug 2017 23:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.36.53.73 with SMTP id k70mr290423ita.0.1502261436500; Tue,
    08 Aug 2017 23:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septe mber.org!news.linkpendium.com!news.linkpendium.com!news.snarked.org!border2.nnt p.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!u14no1608112ita.0!news-out.google.com!19n i2489itw.0!nntp.google.com!u14no1608110ita.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000 goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 23:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=71.14.132.165;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.14.132.165
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <93052ab5-9cd4-4fcd-8297-9742c3c52575@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 08/08/17
    Injection-Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2017 06:50:36 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Lines: 109
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:943

Tuesday, 08/08/17 6 to 8:50 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We eventually had seven gamers at two tables.

Table #1 - Report by Duane

Players: Connor, Duane, Michael Z, Zach

We started the evening with Robo Rally, a game Duane had been talking about for
    half a year and finally brought. Connor had locked his dad out of the house and had to go back and let him in but joined us half way through the first game. Robo Rally is a cross between a race to the goal with mayhem in-between you and the goal. Robots push each other, fire lasers, get caught on conveyor belts or turning tiles while trying to stay to their ‘programed path’ each round. Players play five cards (Forward 3, or Forward 2 or 1, turn right, turn
    left, backup or U-turn) each round. Whatever cards are in the program banks must be played in their order. But a shove from another robot pushes you off course and you have to finish your programing before you can re-program in the next round. Also, if you take enough damage, the program registers where a direction card is played can become damaged and ‘stuck’ so that it stays in
    the program and can’t be re-programed. Conveyor belts move you different directions and pits can send you to the garbage heap. Falling off the edge of the board is also like a pit. You only get 3 lives in this game.

Our first game we started with the easy board ‘Spin Zone’. A one board game with 3 flags… touch flag 1 then 2 then 3 to win the game. Zach easily programed his robot though the fairly easy pathways to a victory in about an hour and twenty minutes. Duane went almost the entire game without any damage
    whereas Michael’s robot got destroyed by Zach’s after Zach got some enhancement cards that allowed him to damage an opponent with spikes each time he rammed them and his laser was a twin laser doing two damage per shot (compared to one that the rest of us had). Michael had programed the same path
    as Zach and Zach kept pounding him in that one turn mercilessly. The game ended with Zach 1st place touching all 3 flags (goals). Michael and Connor each had their first goal and 2nd place tied, while Duane never got to the first goal getting stuck in an endless loop of frustration on the conveyor belts and 4th. Final Score: Zach 3 flags, Michael & Connor 2 flags, Duane 0 Flags - 1 hr. 20 mins (80 mins)

Everyone wanted to play again so we switched boards and pulled out another easy
    but more challenging board called ‘Cross Boards’. LOTS of conveyor belts and pits! A one board game with 3 flags to win. During this game, we had many robots destroyed (falling into pits, falling over the edge of the game board - same as a pit). Nobody came out unscathed in this blood bath (or should I say oil bath!) 😊 Final scores came as Connor hit his third flag with Michael one
    space behind. Duane planted himself on the first flag and was rotating with
    wall at his back and Zach couldn’t push him off so that Zach never got his first flag. Final Score: Connor 1st - 3 flags, Michael 2nd - 2 flags, Duane 3rd - 1 flag, Zach 4th - 0 flags. Time: 1 hr. 10 mins (70 mins)

During the two games: Suicides (falling into pits or off the edge): Zach 2, Connor 1, Michael 1, Duane 0
    Blow Ups (Destroyed by damage): Michael 1, Zach 1
    Bonus Cards: Zach (both in first game) Ramming Damage +1, Double Lasers +2

Everyone enjoyed the game and said they will play it again.

Table #2 - First, my evolution: The Beginning, which was new to Jason and Justin. Although Jason had played its more complex predecessor, Evolution. Play
    order was: Michael, Jason, then Justin.

On my second turn I evolved a carnivore and tore the flesh from some of Justin's critters. Both my opponents then added defensive traits to their species to help protect them (speed, flight, burrowing, etc.). A little later
    did as well, for by mid-game they too had carnivores. In fact, Justin went "all carnivore", while Jason and I maintained a mix of herbivores and carnivores.

Early in the game I got way ahead. But after my opponents figured out how things worked, they made better plays *and* ganged up on me. By these actions they caught up. Of course since our scoring food chits were hidden none of us really knew how many points we had until final scoring.

The card deck ran out exactly at the end of Justin's turn. We then counted up our food tokens and cards (on the table nd in hand). The result was an extremely close game.

Scores: Michael W 51, Jason P 48, Justin J 47. Duration: one hour. We all enjoyed the game.

Justin left, so I taught my Ingenious to Jason. This game too was ultimately very close. Near the end it was obvious the number of points we'd earned in green would be the deciding factor, as we both had plenty of points in the other five colors. On the penultimate round I had 7 in green to Jason's 5. He tried to add some green to the board to work off of later. But I made a point off of his play. Then on my next turn I made one more and blocked/ended the game.

Scores: Michael W 8 (green), Jason P 5 (green). Duration: 37 minutes. I think Jason liked the game.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)