• Sysop Paging

From Altere@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Tue Nov 12 22:21:37 2019
    As a lot of use run Synchronet from a remote linux server, the playtone doesn't
    really work for us or I'm doing it wrong? I haven't found much on changing the sysop paging around. Is there a way to change how many times or duration it tries?

The only thing I really know is to play a tone from my local machine remotely from the server to let me know, with something like 'ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"' but no clue how I would go about implementing this.

-altere

---
    þ Synchronet þ Athelstan BBS þ athelstan.org þ telnet:23 | ssh:2222
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to Altere on Wed Nov 13 08:59:37 2019
    As a lot of use run Synchronet from a remote linux server, the playtone doesn't really work for us or I'm doing it wrong? I haven't found much on changing the sysop paging around. Is there a way to change how many times
    or
    duration it tries?

The only thing I really know is to play a tone from my local machine remotely from the server to let me know, with something like 'ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"' but no clue how I would go about implementing this.

-altere

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the page sysop is a hard coded function bbs.page_sysop(); and seems to only be abled to toggle on/off or long/short page. the command shells (menus) make use of external .js scripts, for instance, chat_sec.js which has a
    case 'C':
    if(!bbs.page_sysop())
    bbs.page_guru();
    break;

I suppose it would be possible to write a .js that does a exec('ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"'); ie:
    case 'C':
    system.exec('ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"');
    break;
    or if on a un*x system use system.popen('ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"');

Hope this helps a little

PS I am also curious of a better way to implement this.

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Wed Nov 13 11:27:11 2019
    Re: Re: Sysop Paging
    By: Mortifis to Altere on Wed Nov 13 2019 08:59 am

As a lot of use run Synchronet from a remote linux server, the playtone The only thing I really know is to play a tone from my local machine remotely from the server to let me know, with something like 'ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"' but no clue how I would go about implementing this.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the page sysop is a hard coded function bbs.page_sysop(); and seems to only be abled to toggle on/off or long/short page. the command shells (menus) make use of external .js scripts, for instance, chat_sec.js which has a
    case 'C':
    if(!bbs.page_sysop())
    bbs.page_guru();
    break;

I suppose it would be possible to write a .js that does a exec('ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"'); ie:
    case 'C':
    break;

I looked at a few of the files briefly, not sure it's something I can tackle at this point. May give it a go, and I'll either figure it out in a week or so or give up. lol

Hope this helps a little

We'll see.

Do you currently have a way to hear sysop pages? I'm also wondering if samba/sshfs could be used to mount ro and use the monitor tools?

-altere

---
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to Altere on Wed Nov 13 14:19:35 2019
    Re: Re: Sysop Paging
    By: Mortifis to Altere on Wed Nov 13 2019 08:59 am

As a lot of use run Synchronet from a remote linux server, the playtone The only thing I really know is to play a tone from my local machine remotely from the server to let me know, with something like 'ssh user@host "mpg123 tone.mp3"' but no clue how I would go about implementing this.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the page sysop is a hard coded function bbs.page_sysop(); and seems to only be abled to toggle on/off or long/short page. the command shells
    (menus)
    make use of external .js scripts, for instance, chat_sec.js which has a
    case 'C':
    if(!bbs.page_sysop())
    bbs.page_guru();
    break;

case 'C':
    break;

I looked at a few of the files briefly, not sure it's something I can
    tackle
    at this point. May give it a go, and I'll either figure it out in a week or so or give up. lol

Hope this helps a little

We'll see.

Do you currently have a way to hear sysop pages? I'm also wondering if samba/sshfs could be used to mount ro and use the monitor tools?

No, I have SysOp paging disabled. I am not sure about samba, DM should be able
    to answer that better than I.

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Altere on Wed Nov 13 13:26:14 2019
    Re: Sysop Paging
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Tue Nov 12 2019 10:21 pm

As a lot of use run Synchronet from a remote linux server, the playtone doesn't really work for us or I'm doing it wrong? I haven't found much on changing the sysop paging around. Is there a way to change how many times
    or
    duration it tries?

Sure, it's all JavaScript (exec/playtone.js).

Setup a custom chat pager in SCFG->Chat Features. You should be able to invoke any command-line you wish when the user pages you for chat.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #80:
    XJS = External JavaScript (SSJS embedded within HTML/CSS)
    Norco, CA WX: 75.5øF, 44.0% humidity, 7 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Nov 14 12:03:45 2019
    By: Digital Man to Altere on Wed Nov 13 2019 01:26 pm

Setup a custom chat pager in SCFG->Chat Features. You should be able to invoke any command-line you wish when the user pages you for chat.

As there is sound.js and playtone.js, perhaps I'm missing something but how does bbs.page.sysop in chat_sec.js know which one to fire?

-altere

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Altere on Thu Nov 14 10:37:59 2019
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Thu Nov 14 2019 12:03 pm

By: Digital Man to Altere on Wed Nov 13 2019 01:26 pm

As there is sound.js and playtone.js, perhaps I'm missing something but how does bbs.page.sysop in chat_sec.js know which one to fire?

Based on what is configured in SCFG->Chat Features->External Chat Pagers.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #36:
    HTTPS = Secure HTTP (authenticated and encrypted HTTP over TLS)
    Norco, CA WX: 66.3øF, 78.0% humidity, 1 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Nov 14 15:23:16 2019
    By: Digital Man to Altere on Thu Nov 14 2019 10:37 am

Based on what is configured in SCFG->Chat Features->External Chat Pagers.

So If ?playtone.js is listed and I add another custom one, it will fire off both of them?

-altere

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Altere on Sat Nov 16 14:41:42 2019
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Thu Nov 14 2019 03:23 pm

Based on what is configured in SCFG->Chat Features->External Chat
    Pagers.

So If ?playtone.js is listed and I add another custom one, it will fire off both of them?

No, it will use the first pager which has met access requirements.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #23:
    The third ever Synchronet BBS was The Beast's Domain (sysop: King Drafus). Norco, CA WX: 87.1øF, 15.0% humidity, 8 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Razor@1:103/705 to Altere on Sat Nov 30 12:00:44 2019

Setup a custom chat pager in SCFG->Chat Features. You should be able to invoke any command-line you wish when the user pages
    you
    for chat.

As there is sound.js and playtone.js, perhaps I'm missing
    something
    but how does bbs.page.sysop in chat_sec.js know which one to fire?

Based on what is configured in SCFG->Chat Features->External Chat
    Pagers.

So If ?playtone.js is listed and I add another custom one, it will fire
    off
    both of them?

-altere

---
    � Synchronet � Athelstan BBS � athelstan.org � telnet:23 |
    ssh:2222

I'm a bit late to the party, but I built a sysop pager for Windows. It
    will connect to Synchronet running on any platform.
    If you'd like to check it out, you can download it here: https://github.com/razordead/RazorChat/tree/master/Download

Razor

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Silent Strike - bbs.thesilentstrike.com
  • From Marisag@1:103/705 to Altere on Tue Dec 3 12:31:40 2019
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Tue Nov 12 2019 22:21:37

or
    duration it tries?

I have a pager designed for that situation inherently. There is a mod that installs on your BBS's server, and one that runs on your local computer where you want it to notify. It's still in testing but you can get it from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/syncpager/

If you have questions I'm here to help :)

Marisa
    --- https://SynchronetBBS.org/OurServers - A list of all our websites
    --- https://SynchronetBBS.org/HostSplash - SBBS hosting for $14/month
    þ Synchronet þ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 3,500+ files
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Marisag on Tue Dec 3 20:55:10 2019
    By: Marisag to Altere on Tue Dec 03 2019 12:31 pm

As a lot of use run Synchronet from a remote linux server, the playtone doesn't really work for us or I'm doing it wrong? I haven't found much
    on
    changing the sysop paging around. Is there a way to change how many
    times
    or duration it tries?

I have a pager designed for that situation inherently. There is a mod that installs on your BBS's server, and one that runs on your local computer where you want it to notify. It's still in testing but you can get it from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/syncpager/

I'll have to give this a spin when I get some spare time, thanks.

-altere

---