• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 07/25/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.99.96.18 with SMTP id u18mr16291915pgb.28.1501050565452;
    Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:29:25 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.36.57.130 with SMTP id l124mr493027ita.1.1501050565360; Tue,
    25 Jul 2017 23:29:25 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septe mber.org!news.glorb.com!t6no1058677itb.0!news-out.google.com!196ni5415itl.0!nnt p.google.com!t6no1058668itb.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroup s.com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:29:25 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=96.39.221.112;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 96.39.221.112
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <a7e45144-a028-40a5-ac34-b7fdbcf810a1@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 07/25/17
    Injection-Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 06:29:25 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:940

Tuesday, 07/25/17 6 to 9:05 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We eventually had eight gamers at two tables, including newcomer Justin.

Table #1 - Report by Duane
    Players Present: Connor, Duane, Michael Z
    Later joined by: Farrell

1st Game played D’s “Monty Python Fluxx” - a Fluxx game where all the rules can change with each players turn and the outcome or goal of the game changes as fast. The theme for this game was the movie “Monty Python and the
    Holy Grail.” There are some cards that you got extra cards or turns if you had an ‘outrageous French accent’ or if you could quote the famous quotes from the movie. Plus every keeper card was from the theme so you had Sir Lance-a-Lot!, Sir Robin the Brave (and of the soiled linen) etc…

Our first game went 17 minutes (an average game is about 15 minutes). Most of the game we were stuck on the DRAW 1 - PLAY 1 rules thus the long game. Michael pulled this off with a DRAW 5 - PLAY ALL replacing the Play 1 and basically threw down two keepers and then the goal card that allowed him to win
    the game.

Conner really liked the stupidity of the game and we played again. This one was a marathon (in Fluxx timing) taking 34 minutes with Michael winning the most unique way I have ever seen the game won. We had gone through the ENTIRE deck and each had at least two Creeper cards (which prevents you from winning unless you have a goal card that needs that particular Creeper card). Michael then pulls off a goal card that needed the FINGER OF GOD to be in front of you which then removes a creeper card and he got rid of one of his two. The other creeper had an auxiliary rule that said it could be remade with the Hand of God
    card so he had it made into another card which matched the other goal card. He then played another card which stole a card from another player and allowed him to match the goal. Whew! Long game!

Before we knew it, Conner had the deck shuffled again and was ready ONE MORE TIME… this time we couldn’t allow Michael to win! We were about 10 minutes
    in the game when Farrell walked up and we allowed him to come join the game. That’s the neat part of the game… anyone can join just about anytime as the
    rules are in a constant fluxx. Wouldn’t you know that Michael won again in
    a game time of 27 minutes with a PLAY ALL card again and arranged the hand he had to have a winning outcome.

We then pulled out D’s “King Me!”. A real easy to learn game with a little shrewdness and luck involved. You move your secret list of appointees of the court through the levels of houses to the throne. Each level of the houses go from the dregs in the sewers which are 0 points to the houses of the high lords at 5 points. Each player is given three no votes and a yes vote. You can vote yes as often as you wish. But a no vote you must discard that no card for that game. Once an appointee moves though the houses and sits on the
    throne, a vote is taken. If any player has a no vote then that appointee is assassinated and out of that game. The king, when elected, is worth 10 points to each person that has them on their secret list. Then you go down through the survivors giving points to the player for each level they are on. Then reset for another round. Three rounds makes a game. Final score for game was:
    1st - Farrell - 57 pts. 2nd - Connor - 51 pts. 3rd - Michael Z - 46 pts. and 4th - Duane - 45 pts. Game time: 45 minutes.

Farrell then bid us good night and the remainder of the three played a round of
    D’s “Catan: the Dice Game”. A Yahtzee type game where you play 15 turns
    and have to get as many points as you can by rolling logs, bricks, etc… to make roads, cities, villages, or knights.. Not getting the combo you need gets
    you an X on the score sheet which is a -2 pts. Six dice - not always easy to get what you are really wanting. A road is worth 1 pt. - a village increases from 2 to 3 to 5 to 7 to 9 etc… a city starts at 7 then 12 then 20 but must be connected with roads. The game took 31 minutes with Connor taking 1st with 64-2=62 pts. Michael had 2nd with 61-2=59 pts. Duane pulled the rear again with 39-4=35 pts.

Table 2 - First, my San Juan, which was new to Michael L and Justin. I started out with the best production (sliver and coffee) but Michael L soon outstripped
    me. By the 2/3 mark when he plopped down a Guild Hall I was sure he'd win. The
    rest of us did our best, but that Guild Hall gave Michael L so many bonus points (16 by game end) that no one else could compete. Even so, we tried. Justin built a Chapel and socked away four cards under it. Zach E built a City Hall that gave him 8 points in final scoring. And I built a Palace, but it only
    gave me 4 bonus points. It was also no surprise that Michael L ended the game when he constructed his twelfth building. No one else had more than ten at game
    end.

Scores: Michael L 34, Zach E 23, Michael W 23, Justin 21. Duration: 57 minutes.
    I think Michael L and Justin liked the game.

Next, my Imhotep, which was new to Michael L and Justin. Of the six rounds we played, I spent the first three dominating the Burial Chamber. Meanwhile Justin
    gained the lead at the Obelisk, and kept it. Zach concentrated on the Pyramid,
    and Michael L held sway at the Temple. We all delved into the Market. Though Zach came away with the most cards I think. The game seemed exceedingly close until near the end of final scoring, when I barely edged out the others. And somehow Zach fell behind.

Scores: Michael W 40, Justin 37, Michael L 36, Zach E 27. Duration: 31 minutes.
    Justin and Michael enjoyed the game. I think Zach is still on the fence about it.

Zach left and the rest of us played my Cambria, which was new to Michael L and Justin. We barbarian Irishmen raided many a Roman city in Wales. Mid-game Michael L and Justin had well over twice the points I did. Seeing me as the guy
    who would finish dead last, my opponents whacked each other and left me mostly
    alone. Meanwhile I placed my cubes for the end game's partial scoring. When that occurred (only six cities left) I gained the upper hand. For at several cities either I alone had influence, or had the majority of influence. That's when I raked in 3/4 of my points, surprising the others.

Scores; Michael W 20, Justin 18, Michael L 15. Duration: 22 minutes. I believed
    Justin and Michael L like Cambria. So I showed them the Cumbria map on the other side, as well as the Caledonia map.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)