• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 07/18/17

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    X-Received: by 10.99.155.18 with SMTP id r18mr777405pgd.66.1500444067987;
    Tue, 18 Jul 2017 23:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.36.104.200 with SMTP id v191mr47727itb.2.1500444062473; Tue,
    18 Jul 2017 23:01:02 -0700 (PDT)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septe mber.org!news.glorb.com!t6no468855itb.0!news-out.google.com!196ni1351itl.0!nntp .google.com!t6no108885itb.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups. com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 23:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=96.39.221.112;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 96.39.221.112
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <680d44cf-ca26-4475-827d-7c0510315c90@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 07/18/17
    Injection-Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 06:01:07 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:939

Tuesday, 07/18/17 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We had nine gamers at two tables tonight, including newcomers Vanessa and Blain. Plus Trevor, who we hadn't seen since December, returned.

Table #1 - We played Scoville which was new to Maggie and Michael L. It is a 3 step game turn where you plant peppers, then harvest the hybrid that comes off of the combination of the 12 different colors you can plant, and then buy victory points or coin from selling those peppers. Connor took the early lead getting the first of the coveted peppers…the browns. He became known as Mr. Brown as he had a 3 to 4 to 1 ratio to the others the whole game. He also made
    the first rare pepper - a black. Michael made the first white and crystal - two very rare peppers and got the rest of us scrambling to catch up on that side of the board to harvest the same as those rare ones get high recipes which
    results in big victory points. While the guys were getting peppers right and left, Maggie was collecting hers in a meticulous manner and pulling recipe after recipe off the block. The game took 100 minutes (1 hr. and 40 minutes) from start to finish.

Final scoring:

Name Bonus Moves Awards Money Market Recipes Total
    1st Maggie 12 14 4 18 68 116
    2nd Duane 8 20 9 21 54 112
    3rd Michael L 8 23 7 16 56 110
    4th Connor 12 8 10 14 39 83

We then played Fluxx - the card game with the ever-changing rules. Start with 3 cards. Draw 1 and play 1. Then the game changes from there…..

Game 1 - 5 minutes - While still in the first round Michael had to play a card that allowed Connor to win immediately. Everyone got one turn and the game goal (victory conditions) was met.

Game 2 - 4 minutes - Connor played on the 2nd round a change the rule card where instead of draw one play one he drew four and then played a card which allowed him another turn (draw four more) and then played a goal card that said
    if anyone had more 10 or more cards in their hand they win. As he had just drawn his 10th card he achieved victory. Another short game.

Game 3 - 19 minutes - This one started as draw one play one then draw 3 play 2.
    Then the special rule cards started going crazy with everyone. At one point,
    we had 8 rule cards from keeper limit of 4 to must have the radioactive potato
    to win (which is usually a curse (you never win) card), to double goal cards to eventually draw 5 play ALL in your hand. When you get to play all you really have to play them in an order so that you don’t mess yourself up. Each players turn takes minutes compared to the 30 second turns usually happening. We had keepers, rules everywhere, Play All and two sets of goals when Maggie was able to play two keepers which matched the goals to win. Wild game!

Table #2 - First, my Carcassonne, plus the Traders & Builders expansion. The expansion was new to the rest. I was the first to farm, with my first move. Yet
    I didn't put my pig down until the last five minutes of the game. No one else used their pig. Nor did Vanessa or Blain farm at all, which I think really hurt
    their ultimate scores.

As to our builder meeples, Zach and I used ours to good effect; Zach in cities while I used mine on a road. Vanessa placed hers in a city, but it was subsequently blocked and never helped her. Blain never placed his. Relatively few goods markers were doled out; only about 6 out of about 20 available.. When
    we scored everyone received 10 or 20 bonus points for goods majorities (grain,
    wine, and cloth) except Blain, who had earned no goods markers.

Final scores: Michael W 103, Zach E 101, Vanessa 80, Blain 47. Duration: one hour and nine minutes.

Vanessa and Blain left, and Trevor arrived.
    Next, Trevor's Libertalia, which was new to Zach and I. Here's part of its blurb from BGG, "Players must thwart the plans of competitive pirates over the course of three rounds while using cards that show the same crew members as your piratical comrades-in-arms. Yes, not only do they attack the same ships, but they employ the same type of ravenous scum that you do! Can you take advantage of the powers of your characters at the right time? Will you be outdone by a pirate smarter than you? " Here's a photo of the main board https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2056806/libertalia .

This is a game that rewards multiple plays to become familiar with the synergies between the cards effects. So Zach and I were pretty much flying blind, while it was obvious Trevor know what he was doing. Therefore it was no surprise to me he soared up the score track after first scoring. After second scoring Zach almost caught up with Trevor. While I lagged far behind. The last third of the game contained a lot of "take that" plays with Trevor ad Zach whacking each other. They left me alone as it appeared I'd finish the game in
    distant third place. Yet somehow during final scoring I passed them both by. Don't ask me how. I knew it was my best round, but I figured I'd still come in last.

Scores; Michael W 77, Trevor 71, Zach E 61. Duration: 55 minutes.

What did I think of Libertlia? I liked the theme: pirates. And that it only took about an hour. But the game is rather random. I think in hindsight I was lucky there were only three players tonight. Afterwards I read comments on BGG of people saying that with 5-6 its shear chaos. I believe it. Its not a bad game, but its nothing to write home about either. So I rated it a "5" on BGG. I'd play it again (with no more than three, and not closer together than six months), but I'd never ask for it.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)