• !ERROR starting .bat doors

From Android8675@1:103/705 to All on Wed Nov 6 07:52:12 2019
    A while ago my Doors that I started using a .bat file stopped working. At the time I was running WinXP, but since I've updated to Win7 the same issue is occuring.

Seems to indicate an error starting cmd.exe, but not sure why.

!ERROR executing C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C C:\SBBS\xtrn\if\if.bat Android8675 30000 ZORK1

Here's scfg...

³Name Zork I:Empire(1981)
    ³Internal Code ZORKI
    ³Start-up Directory ../xtrn/if
    ³Command Line if.bat %a %t ZORK1
    ³Clean-up Command Line
    ³Execution Cost None
    ³Access Requirements
    ³Execution Requirements
    ³Multiple Concurrent Users Yes
    ³Intercept I/O Standard, No Echo
    ³Native Executable No
    ³Use Shell to Execute Yes
    ³Modify User Data No
    ³Execute on Event No
    ³Pause After Execution No
    ³BBS Drop File Type None

and error.log:

term Node 1 <Android8675> !ERROR 2 (No such file or directory) (WinError 2) in xtrn.cpp line 625 (sbbs_t::external) executing "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C C:\SBBS\xtrn\if\if.bat Android8675 30000 ZORK1" access=1048587

cmd.exe does exist at c:\windows\system32. if I run it from Windows a command prompt comes up.

Suggestions?

--
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Richard Williamson@1:103/705 to Android8675 on Wed Nov 6 13:15:20 2019
    A while ago my Doors that I started using a .bat file stopped working. At
    the
    time I was running WinXP, but since I've updated to Win7 the same issue is occuring.

!ERROR executing C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C C:\SBBS\xtrn\if\if.bat Android8675 30000 ZORK1

Here's scfg...

¨Name Zork I:Empire(1981)
    ¨Internal Code ZORKI
    ¨Start-up Directory ../xtrn/if
    ¨Command Line if.bat %a %t ZORK1
    ¨Clean-up Command Line
    ¨Execution Cost None
    ¨Access Requirements
    ¨Execution Requirements
    ¨Multiple Concurrent Users Yes
    ¨Intercept I/O Standard, No Echo
    ¨Native Executable No
    ¨Use Shell to Execute Yes
    ¨Modify User Data No
    ¨Execute on Event No
    ¨Pause After Execution No
    ¨BBS Drop File Type None

and error.log:

term Node 1 <Android8675> !ERROR 2 (No such file or directory) (WinError 2) in xtrn.cpp line 625 (sbbs_t::external) executing "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C C:\SBBS\xtrn\if\if.bat Android8675 30000 ZORK1" access=1048587

cmd.exe does exist at c:\windows\system32. if I run it from Windows a
    command
    prompt comes up.

maybe has something to do with case?

Suggestions?

--
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
    ¨ Synchronet ¨ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com

---
    þ Synchronet þ Richard's Fun House BBS | http://richardf.ddns.net
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Android8675 on Fri Nov 8 13:33:17 2019
    Re: !ERROR starting .bat doors
    By: Android8675 to All on Wed Nov 06 2019 07:52 am

A while ago my Doors that I started using a .bat file stopped working. At the time I was running WinXP, but since I've updated to Win7 the same issue is occuring.

Here's scfg...

³Name Zork I:Empire(1981)
    ³Internal Code ZORKI
    ³Start-up Directory ../xtrn/if
    ³Command Line if.bat %a %t ZORK1
    ³Clean-up Command Line
    ³Execution Cost None
    ³Access Requirements
    ³Execution Requirements
    ³Multiple Concurrent Users Yes
    ³Intercept I/O Standard, No Echo
    ³Native Executable No
    ³Use Shell to Execute Yes
    ³Modify User Data No
    ³Execute on Event No
    ³Pause After Execution No
    ³BBS Drop File Type None

and error.log:

cmd.exe does exist at c:\windows\system32. if I run it from Windows a command prompt comes up.

Suggestions?

cmd.exe is a native 32-bit executable. Perhaps you want to run command.com (the 16-bit MS-DOS command intepretter) instead?

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #35:
    Jeanine Pettibone: You don't do heavy metal in Dubly, you know.
    Norco, CA WX: 89.7øF, 13.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Android8675@1:103/705 to Richard Williamson on Tue Nov 12 07:49:22 2019
    By: Richard Williamson to Android8675 on Wed Nov 06 2019 01:15 pm

maybe has something to do with case?

Unlikely, we are talking about Windows here, also this setup has worked perfectly in the past, it just stopped within the last 6 months or so. Have tried minor tweaks here and there, but no luck. It seems sbbs is unable to call up command prompt to run .bat files.

--
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
  • From Android8675@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Tue Nov 12 07:54:49 2019
    By: Digital Man to Android8675 on Fri Nov 08 2019 01:33 pm

cmd.exe is a native 32-bit executable. Perhaps you want to run command.com (the 16-bit MS-DOS command intepretter) instead?

Command.com does not exist in Windows xp/7/8/8.1/10. Also, this setup was working as configured, it just stopped working a while ago. Maybe I'll install 3.17 or 3.16 and see if it starts working again.

I feel semi-certain this is a problem with sbbs, but I guess I'll go back to trial and error testing.

--
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Android8675 on Tue Nov 12 17:45:11 2019
    By: Android8675 to Digital Man on Tue Nov 12 2019 07:54 am

By: Digital Man to Android8675 on Fri Nov 08 2019 01:33 pm

Command.com does not exist in Windows xp/7/8/8.1/10.

Of course it does (in 32-bit editions).

If you'd rather run cmd.exe, then you'll have to configure Synchronet to run it as a native executable. You didn't.

Also, this setup was
    working as configured, it just stopped working a while ago. Maybe I'll install 3.17 or 3.16 and see if it starts working again.

I feel semi-certain this is a problem with sbbs, but I guess I'll go back
    to
    trial and error testing.

<shrugs> Experimentation is great. But I can assure you that cmd.exe is a native 32-bit (or 64-bit) Windows executable and cannot run unless you have the "Native executable" option enabled or you have "cmd.exe" in your global Native program list in SCFG->External Programs.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #48:
    Synchronet directory naming (i.e. ctrl, exec, data) was suggested by S. Deppe. Norco, CA WX: 72.4øF, 40.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Android8675@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 18 09:03:23 2019
    By: Digital Man to Android8675 on Tue Nov 12 2019 05:45 pm

If you'd rather run cmd.exe, then you'll have to configure Synchronet to
    run
    it as a native executable. You didn't.
    Well I looked through my WinXP-x86 vm and my Win7-x86 vm and command.com does not exist on either system. I also looked in the native command listing in scfg
    and cmd.exe is the first entry.

So I put sbbs on my Win7 vm (installed the 3.17b version from the installer). copied my zork folder to xtrn\. and put an entry into the doors area, same thing I have on my live setup. Door worked no problem.

switched over to my live version and the error returned. I combed over my mods\xtrn_sec.js to see if I might of messed up something in my endless tinkering, but nothing jumped out at me. I'm sure it's something on my system, but I'm not sure what. I guess the next step is to put all the CVS changes into
    the test system and see if the problem crops up.

<shrugs> Experimentation is great. But I can assure you that cmd.exe is a native 32-bit (or 64-bit) Windows executable and cannot run unless you have the "Native executable" option enabled or you have "cmd.exe" in your global Native program list in SCFG->External Programs.

I believe you, just not sure that's it in this case. It seems like I have everything setup to work, but I mucked something up somewhere....

I REALLY appreciate your help, if I haven't said it before.

-A.

--
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Android8675 on Mon Nov 18 13:26:41 2019
    By: Android8675 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 18 2019 09:03 am

By: Digital Man to Android8675 on Tue Nov 12 2019 05:45 pm

If you'd rather run cmd.exe, then you'll have to configure Synchronet to run it as a native executable. You didn't.
    Well I looked through my WinXP-x86 vm and my Win7-x86 vm and command.com does not exist on either system. I

Perhaps you need to look again? It's most definitely part of every 32-bit Windows install that supports 16-bit DOS executables. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMMAND.COM

also looked in the native command listing
    in scfg and cmd.exe is the first entry.

Okay, good, then that should work.

So I put sbbs on my Win7 vm (installed the 3.17b version from the installer). copied my zork folder to xtrn\. and put an entry into the doors area, same thing I have on my live setup. Door worked no problem.

switched over to my live version and the error returned. I combed over my mods\xtrn_sec.js to see if I might of messed up something in my endless tinkering, but nothing jumped out at me. I'm sure it's something on my system, but I'm not sure what. I guess the next step is to put all the CVS changes into the test system and see if the problem crops up.

<shrugs> Experimentation is great. But I can assure you that cmd.exe is native 32-bit (or 64-bit) Windows executable and cannot run unless you have the "Native executable" option enabled or you have "cmd.exe" in
    your
    global Native program list in SCFG->External Programs.

I believe you, just not sure that's it in this case. It seems like I have everything setup to work, but I mucked something up somewhere....

I REALLY appreciate your help, if I haven't said it before.

Okay, cool. Sounds like you're on the right path to debug this.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #47:
    The Synchronet Museum is online at http://wiki.synchro.net/history:museum:index
    Norco, CA WX: 91.7øF, 8.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux