• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 06/20/17

From mward258@charterNOSPAM.net@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septe mber.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 06/20/17
    Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 00:56:09 -0500
    Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
    Lines: 119
    Message-ID: <oid1pk$mvc$1@gioia.aioe.org>
    Reply-To: "Michael Ward" <mward258@charterNOSPAM.net>
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 22l5EYHA3sCQO6v0KmD56w.user.gioia.aioe.org
    X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
    X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6157
    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
    X-Priority: 3
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:935

Tuesday, 06/20/17 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We eventually had seven gamers at two tables this evening.

Table #1 - The following table 1 report was written by Duane.

Players: Connor, Duane, Emanuel

We started Duane’s game ‘Scoville’ which was new to Connor & Emanuel. Duane had played it once with Darrell years ago and got it this Christmas. The
    game to is to grow the hottest pepper by cross breeding peppers to get new versions which again can be cross bred on toward goals. You can meet goals by selling your peppers in the market, getting the correct peppers together
    to make a special recipe, and being the first to plant certain kinds of peppers. The game ends with XP’s given to those goals along with money divided by 3 to make totals. Both Connor and Emanuel liked the game and
    would play it again. Start Time: 6:25 p.m. and end time: 8:09 - Total play time: 104 minutes

Money Market Recipe 1st plant Extra Total

Emanuel: 48/3 = 16 18 pts 60 pts 25 pts 4 pts 123 pts

Connor: 15/3 = 5 pt 12 pts 80 pts 13 pts 8 pts 118 pts

Duane: 18/3 = 6 pt 21 pts 20 pts 10 pts 12 pts 69 pts

Next game was D’s ‘Catan: The Dice Game’ which was new to everyone. There
    are two versions of this game. We played the first one: Island One. The
    game plays like Yahtzee with 6 dice. You have to put combinations together
    to build a road, knight, village, or city. Roads connect the villages and cities. Knights control one spare resource per game. Roads are worth one point, the first village is worth 3 pts, the 2nd 4 pts, etc… up to 6. The first city is 7 pts, the 2nd 12 pts, etc… up to 30 for the last city. You only have 16 turns to get the highest score. If you can’t make a match with any dice after 3 rolls, you record an X in your turn space and it counts as
    a -2 for scoring.

Start Time: 8:25 - Game ended at 8:56 - Total Play Time: 31 minutes

Final Score: Duane: 46 - 4 pts = Final: 42 pts = 3rd ; Connor: 53 - 2 pts = Final: 51 pts = 2nd ; Emanuel: 60 (-0pts) = Final: 60 pts = 1st

Table #2 - First, my Tikal, which was new to Sonnett. Early on we all
    dabbled in treasures. I soon gave up after pulling two identical jade masks, as Sonnett and Michael Z were concentrating on treasures. Michael continued
    to gather treasures the whole game. Sonnett pretty much gave up on them mid-game after digging up six.

As to the temples, we all claimed about the same amount. Yet where I concentrated on improving mine, Michael Z did great deal of claim jumping to obtain his. He only improved his temples if there was nothing else of value
    to grab. Sonnett split the difference. We all put down one forward base by mid-game. Though late in the game Michael Z placed his second.

Since this was the non-auction version, scoring first in a scoring round almost always yields more points. And scoring last is a tough row to hoe. In our four scoring rounds Michael Z got to go first twice, and Sonnet went firsst twice. I always scoring 2nd or 3rd. Oy! So I was surprised in the end that the scores were so close.

First scoring had us all in the 7-9 point range. Second scoring had us all still close; in the 21-25 range. Third scoring remained close; Sonnett had
    55 points by that point, while Michel Z and I had 58 & 59. After the last
    tile was placed we began final scoring. By this time Michael Z had 14 of the 22 possible treasures, worth 27 points. Sonnet had six treasures which I
    think were worth 12 points. My two treasures gained me 3 points. The rest of our scores were due to temple holdings. I had capped two of mine (a level 10 and a level 8). I believe Sonnett capped a level 9, and maybe another lesser one. I don't recall Michael Z capping any of his.

Final scores: Sonnett 105, Michael Z 103, Michael W 100. Duration: one hour and 24 minutes. Sonnet enjoyed the game (especially the winning part!).

Early in our game of Tikal Farrell had joined us to watch. Afterwards we all played my Hansa, which was new to the rest. Though I warned them with four players we would not finish.

Play order was: Michael Z, Ferrell, Sonnett, then Michael W. The order the initial goods came out allowed Michael Z to scarf up three blue
    multi-barrels. He sold that set on his second turn. Ferrell and Sonnet followed suit, doing almost as well. So by my first turn 3/4 of the board
    had been denuded of goods. And the ones left were of course of different colors. So that pretty much forced me to pay to replenish the board. Alas, unlike Michael Z's first turn, the new goods were a mixed batch of colors (without a triple barrel counter in sight) that helped me not one bit. Ug! I picked up two to build infrastructure (place market booths) later.

The above pattern continued. At 8:56 we called it quits. Unfortunately we'd only gotten through 25-30% of the game. So the following partial scores are
    of limited value.

Partial scores: Michael Z 31, Sonnett 24, Farrell 21, Michael W 20.
    Duration: 37 minutes. The others enjoyed getting to try the game. I on the other hand hate to bring a game, get it out, explain it, then not finish it.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)