• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 06/13/17

From mward258@charterNOSPAM.net@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septe mber.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 06/13/17
    Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 01:21:00 -0500
    Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
    Lines: 139
    Message-ID: <ohqkie$1bq3$1@gioia.aioe.org>
    Reply-To: "Michael Ward" <mward258@charterNOSPAM.net>
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 22l5EYHA3sCQO6v0KmD56w.user.gioia.aioe.org
    X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6157
    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
    X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
    X-Priority: 3
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:934

Tuesday, 06/13/17 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We eventually had eight gamers at two tables this evening. Alas we also had three no-shows.

Table #1 - The following table 1 report was written by Duane. Players (4): Duane, Michael Z., Troy, Zach

We’ll be known as the late table as we started our first game about 6:15!
    We started D’s Pirate Fluxx which was totally new to Michael, Troy and Zach. It was completely a new game for Zach as he has not played any Fluxx game. Pirate Fluxx is played as the others with Pick a card - Play a card. As
    cards are played rules begin to be made, restrictions, draws, plays, curses, and others… rules can be changed and the game is in constant flux…everchanging. This theme of course was pirates with all kinds of booty to keep and times when ye ave to talk like a pirate matey!! We played two games with D winning both times. It took 35 minutes to play (15 mins first time and 20 minutes second game).

We then moved to D’s Family Business - a gangster playing card game where gangs in the old Chicago age of gangster gunslingers fought to run and
    control the city by eliminating the other gangs. You start with nine
    members of your gang (each gang was a real gang with the names of the real members of the gang on the mug shots). Players place contracts on other players gang member and put him up against the wall in execution style
    (called the hit list). When the 6th gangster is on the hit list then a Gang War starts and at the end of each person’s turn, the criminal at the head of the hit list gets bumped off, put in the graveyard, and everyone moves one step closer to the brick wall termination. If all gangsters on the hit list are shot then the gang war is over. The game continues until just one gang
    is left alive. In our game, as most games, the person with the most
    gangsters gets picked on the most and then it switches to another who now
    has more than the others. This works well in whittling everyone down to two or three gangsters left alive. Then it gets mean! <grin>

Zach, as usual, has some kind of card counterfeiting machine in his lap or something as he always had a card that voided the contract on any of his
    guys. This made him a target for quite a while as we whittled away at his gang while the rest of us were losing members. Then the game changed… We
    were all down to three gang members and there were four on the hit list when Troy played a St. Valentine’s Day Massacre which in one move killed off all
    of the gangsters on the hit list. Then D played a card which made everyone play their last two cards into the hit list and started an assault (which killed off two per turn instead of the normal one per turn). Troy counted with a switch and pulled one of his out and placed one of D’s into the fray and then Michael did an assassin move which he could sacrifice a card to
    kill off one of D’s people. Then the normal two per turn died and instantly both D and Zach were out of the game. Michael and Troy then put each other
    on the hit list, were able to pull them off, back on, back off for a couple
    of turns when finally Michael pulled the right combo out and eradicated Troy’s last man. Final score: 1st - Michael, 2nd - Troy, 3rd (tie)- D & Zach
    Play time: 25 minutes

We then pulled out D’s Munchkin Deluxe. This was new to Troy. D & Michael talked about the rules and Troy seemed to pick it up quickly. We then
    started with Michael moving 3 levels in one turn. D countered that with a remove a level and brought him back to a 2nd level. D then pulled a Potted Plant to battle and won and played a move up a level card and then was level
    3 which quickly brought the wraith of the others on him for the rest of the game. Everyone ended up at the 4th level by the end of the 3rd round. Then people started asking for help and others started to play nasty to block
    them. For the main part there was only one time in this game where the monsters won (Michael & Troy played a level 18 monster Balrog on top of a Level 16 Minitour against Zach and Duane). Duane played a brick wall card which allowed them to escape the bad things that would have happened due to them running away! Most of the time allies could help each other advance
    and beat the monsters. At the end Troy was on Level 9 of 10 levels (with
    the rest of us at 6) when Michael took a level from him sending him to 9.
    Then Zach moved from 6 to 9. Michael moved to 8. D sat there with no cards playable in his hand and Troy played a level card and then pulled out a
    level one potted plant again. He had like 20 points to the pots 1… the rest of the players tried to help the Potted plant with a double (mate) and
    adding damage but it was enough and Troy moved to Level 10 and won the game. Final Score: Troy = 10, Zach = 9, Michael = 8, Duane = 6 Play Time: 70 Minutes.

Table #2 - First, my The Merchants of Amsterdam , which was new to Sonnett. Emanuel and Connor had played once, two years ago. Play order was: Emanuel, Connor, Sonnett, then Michael. In theory we each could be mayor five times, since this was a four player game. Yet in the final analysis everyone but Emanuel was shorted one mayoral opportunity due to the hourglass cards
    coming out rather early. So, instead of the 20 potential auctions, we only had 17. Of those, I believe Emanuel and I won two each, while Sonnett and Connor won about 7 each. On the surface that sounds good for them, but
    Sonnett and Conner had a tendency to overbid. Connor especially, who paid
    the maximum, f200,000, at least thrice. That's rarely economical.

As in most majority control games, one can not be strong everywhere. You
    have to choose your battles. For me it was staying first in sugar on the commodities market. I maintained my lead the whole game. Yet to do so meant
    I was last in spice, silk, and jewels. I did fairly well in the global trade offices the first half of the game. Though in the latter half my leads evaporated there. As to the four districts of Amsterdam, I think I was in fourth place in overall warehouses the whole game. And I never scored better than second in any of them. Most players ended up earning several bonuses.
    I only got one. As to the highly valuable nine 3X commodity cards, everyone gained two, except Sonnett who only got one. Two were discarded. Ultimately
    my strategy of restraining myself from whacking the auction clock's button paid off in the end.

Scores: Michael W f1,370,000, Emanuel f1,330,000, Sonnett f1,240,000, Connor f1,170,000. Duration: one hour and 21 minutes. Everyone enjoyed the game.

Sonnet left, and the rest of us played my Carcassonne + The River
    expansion. My first play was to place a farmer. By the one third mark
    Emanuel and Connor had weaseled a farmer each in to my central field. So I placed a second one off to the side. I planned to link it to the central field. Yet late in the game Connor did it for me! (Though he had no idea
    what he'd done until final scoring.) I had hoped it would win me the game. For Emanuel had been waaaay ahead from the one quarter mark. So I was taken aback the 24 points I earned farming in final scoring didn't quite put me
    over the top.

Scores: Emanuel 93, Michael W 92, Connor 61. Duration: 47 minutes.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)