• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 06/06/17

From mward258@charterNOSPAM.net@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 19:19:24 2019
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september .org!news.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septe mber.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 06/06/17
    Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 01:14:36 -0500
    Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
    Lines: 154
    Message-ID: <oh85jt$chq$1@gioia.aioe.org>
    Reply-To: "Michael Ward" <mward258@charterNOSPAM.net>
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 22l5EYHA3sCQO6v0KmD56w.user.gioia.aioe.org
    X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
    X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6157
    X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
    Xref: news.eternal-september.org dfw.games:933

Tuesday, 06/06/17 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We eventually had eight gamers at two tables this evening, including
    newcomers Anna S and Kristen. Alas we also had five no-shows.

Table #1 - The following table 1 report was written by Duane.

We started with three people (Duane, Emanuel, & Michael) expecting more
    after we started as they texted they were running late. We played Duane’s Fluxx - a card game with the rules ever changing…and one that a late comer could just join in any time as the game is in flux all the time! You start with Draw a card then play a card. A goal is set such as a rocket ship and stars to win. If you have the rocket ship and card played in front of you (Keepers) you win. But someone else can change the goal to a different pair of keepers. There are also rule cards that change the game. Emanuel played the draw three play one. Everyone played a keeper stored in front of them until Duane played the Draw three play all card which eliminates your hand
    at the end of your turn. Things happen quick after that as rules change, draws change, plays change and goals change. Troy showed up after 16
    minutes into the game and we dealt him in. Three players later it was his turn (he had already caught on how the game works as the rules are all on
    the table) and played a keeper (a Lonely Heart) and then changed the goal
    card to the Lonely Heart goal which won the game immediately. A 19-minute game ended with his first turn! <grin> Well… that doesn’t always happen!! Final score: Troy-1 Duane-0, Emanuel-0, Michael-0

We then broke out D’s Castle Panic - a co-op game where the players work together to protect their shared castle and repel 53 monsters including Goblins, Orcs, Trolls and Boss Creatures. The monsters goal is to destroy
    the inner castle towers which sit behind the castle walls. They attack from the forest and go through three zones to reach the walls. The zones are
    from the forest to the castle: Archer zone (where only archers can hit
    them), Knight Zone (where only Knights can ride out and hit them), and Swordsmen zone (final zone of defense of the players). Goblins have a hit point so one hit by an archer, knight or swordsmen will kill it. Orcs have two hit points so they have to be hit twice by one of the player defenses to be killed and Trolls three hit points. At the end of each players turn
    after trading a card with another player If needed and attacking a zone
    (there are six zones with each zone having an archer area, Knight area, and swordsmen area) the player then pulls two monster tiles out of the box and rolls a dice and places it in the zone of the die (1-6). Then all monsters move forward one area closer to the castle. Early on Duane was pulling out bosses (who do special moves and make other monsters on the board move
    extra) and it looked bleak early on. Troy had a hot hand a few turns in a
    row and slaughtered whole sections of monsters and the players started breathing again. The monsters ended up penetrating the walls and destroyed two towers. Everyone was getting lucky with cards and killing them off
    while out in the archer and knight areas not letting any get near the broken walls. Duane ended rebuilding four walls which held off further advances.
    The game finally ended with all of the monster tiles being played and the players still having four of the six towers intact. Michael was the top destroyer of monsters with a score of 20, Troy 14, Emanuel 13, and Duane 4.
    As it was a co-op game, the players won, monsters lost. Game took 75
    minutes.

As we only had an hour left to play this night Troy wanted to play the
    Detroit Cleveland Gran Prix that he learned two weeks ago. After a hasty
    into by Duane we bid on our cars and started the race in Cleveland. We
    each had one car and two rouge cars racing to make up the six-car race. The game is played with cards having colors (for the cars) with numbers in the colors. An example card would be a Black 6, Green 4, Red 2, Yellow 1 would mean move the black car 6, then the green car 4, the red car 2 spaces
    followed by the yellow 1 space. The blue and orange car would not move that turn. Some cards move one car, some two, some four and some all six. The first race ended as: 1st - Emanuel, 2nd - Troy, 3rd - Michael, 4th - D. We then flipped the board and played the Detroit track. That one ended as:
    1st - Emanuel, 2nd - Michael, 3rd - Troy, 4th - Duane. Final score (based
    on winnings: 1st - Emanuel $580,000, 2nd - Michael $430,000, 3rd - Troy $420,000, 4th - Duane $240,000. Game took 50 minutes.

Table #2 - First, my Die Siedler von Catan: Historische Szenarien I, the Cheops scenario. Even though they'd played Settlers of Catan, this scenario was new to Kristen and Anna. Here's a so-so image of the bare board https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/288019/die-siedler-von-catan-historische-sz enarien .
    Set-up order was: Anna, Kristen, Connor, then Michael. My opponents did a
    good job of claiming the best production hexes. But I was then able to pick two in succession. Then I had a long wait until I got my third. So I was surprised my three initial settlements were in relatively good spots. I'd claimed two of the ports (wool and grain) and only I'd be able to snag a third, lumber, when my reed boats reached the cedars of Lebanon. Connor had taken the 3:1 port, and I think Kristen claimed the brick port. There is no ore port in this scenario. Anna not gaining a port initially I think hurt
    her in the long run.

In fairly short order Anna and then Kristen began contributing stones to the Great Pyramid. Pharaoh was so pleased he rewarded Kristen with his blessing
    (a +3 VP card), and cursed Connor and myself (we each got a -2 VP card). All that remained static until very late in the game. We all then began building roads/boats and settlements. I soon reached Lebanon and claimed the lumber port. Interestingly, in this scenario players may use opponent's ports if
    they pay a gold, provided they've linked their road/boat network to said
    port. I don't know if it was design or chance, but eventually all my opponent's linked up their ports, yet none built to mine.And as I had 3 of
    the 5 ports, I saw no reason to help them do so!

Kristen stayed in the lead the first half of the game. Then my having three ports began to have an effect. By about the 2/3's mark I was gaining on Kristen. When I finally began contributing stones to the Great Pyramid I was able to lift my curse and equal Kristen's score of about. 9. I think at that time Anna had about 3, and poor Connor had about 2. Then Anna, who had been mining the Development deck, threw down her third Ritter (soldier/knight)
    and claimed Largest Army for 2 VPs.

As for the race to the ore fields in the Sinai, I was the first to snake a route there and claim the choice 4/6 double ore juncture with a settlement. Though Connor followed on and got the 4/ore hex with a settlement.. Then Kristen's trade route made it to Arabia and she built a settlement on a
    10/ore hex (which paid off a lot more that it should have).The game was now
    in its end stages. For a while it appeared Anna might take the +3 Pharaoh's Blessing card away from Kristen. Yet Kristen managed to stay 1-2 stones
    ahead of Anna on the Great Pyramid.

On my penultimate turn I built a city, then on my last turn I used two of my three ports to turn 10 resource cards of wool and lumber into three ore and two grain. I then built another city. Game over.

Scores: Michael W 12 (4 settlements, 4 cities), Kristen 10 (5 settlements, 1 city, Pharaoh's Blessing), Anna S 6 (4 settlements, Largest Army), Conner 3
    (3 settlements, 1 city, Pharaoh's Curse). Duration: one hour and 35
    minutes. Everyone enjoyed the game.

Next, my Ivanhoe, twice. Kristen listened to the explanation then had to leave. As I've played over 200 times, I'll forgo the blow by blow descriptions.

Game #1 scores: Michael W 5, Anna S 2, Connor 1. Duration: 12 minutes. Anna enjoyed the game.

Game #2 scores: Connor 5, Michael W 4, Anna S 2. Duration: 12 minutes.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)