• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 01/12/19

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Sun Jan 13 01:01:46 2019
    X-Received: by 2002:a6b:5a02:: with SMTP id o2mr5875564iob.17.1547362906222;
    Sat, 12 Jan 2019 23:01:46 -0800 (PST)
    X-Received: by 2002:a9d:7310:: with SMTP id e16mr117355otk.7.1547362906077;
    Sat, 12 Jan 2019 23:01:46 -0800 (PST)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.o rg!paganini.bofh.team!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!feeder.usenetexpress .com!feeder-in1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giga news.com!k10no281997itk.0!news-out.google.com!v141ni301ita.0!nntp.google.com!q6 9no281940itb.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-m ail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 23:01:45 -0800 (PST)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:6c56:7011:300:699c:22c4:acfb:a6a9;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:6c56:7011:300:699c:22c4:acfb:a6a9
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <1adbbb9b-05b2-44b9-a985-86c5967b1a1f@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 01/12/19
    Injection-Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 07:01:46 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Lines: 98
    Xref: reader01.eternal-september.org dfw.games:1058

Saturday, 01/12/19 1 to 8:30 PM at Y2Komics, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

This was another of our irregularly scheduled weekend sessions. We had four gamers at one table this chilly afternoon.

First, my Goa, which was new to Jessica P and Jeff G. Michael L had played once. This was my 10th game. After the first half of the game it was clear the two Michaels were ahead, but not by all that much.

Things became more interesting in the second half when the two Mission tiles, the Duty tile, and the Swap tile were auctioned off. Very early in the second half I founded my fourth colony. Then I blithely discarded the rest of my colonist cards, as they were superfluous now. The others eventually founded only three colonies. As to our success boards, I alone manged to push two of my
    markers to the bottom, for 10 points each. Jeff and Michael L got one of theirs to the bottom. Alas Jessica only got one marker almost to the bottom for
    6 points. I used the Swap tile I'd won to pick up the Espionage tile and then use another player's (Michael L's) abilities one time to refill all my spice spaces.

At game end I alone had an expedition card, worth one point. Jeff had the most money (33 ducats) so he received the 3 VPs for most money. I had no single plantations, while Jeff and Michael L had one each, and Jessica had two. Jeff got the 3 VP Mission tile, Jessica the 2 VP one, and I snagged the 4 VP Duty tile. I think on the penultimate round I was only about 2 points ahead. That last round saw me stretch my lead.

Scores: Michael W 40, Michael L 32, Jeff G 29, Jessica 28. Duration: 2 hours and 24 minutes. Jeff liked the game. Jessica was rather "meh" toward it.

Our next game was Jeff's Fresco Big Box. Yet as the game was new to Michael L and Jessica we used none of its multitude of expansions. I had played about 7 time before, but not for about 2.5 years, so I was rusty. Yet even if I wasn't I told everyone I like the game but I'm terrible at it. And... today was no exception. For by the third turn the other had relegated me to permanent last place on the score track. And I just kept falling further behind. Somehow I never was able to use an apprentice, while I think Jeff had one the whole game!
    By the penultimate round our scores, which had been close on round three, were
    now quite spaced out on the scoretrack.

Scores (and number of tiles painted): Jessica P 74 (7), Jeff G 63 (7), Michael L 59 (6), Michael W 54 (5). Duration: one hour and 18 minutes. I believe everyone enjoyed the game. Somehow we managed to paint all 25 ceiling tiles. That's unusual, as normally 2-4 are left undone.

Our last game was my Alien Frontiers, which was new to the rest. I'd played once (3-player), ten months ago. As this was a four-player game we each had six
    domed colonies to place on the newly discovered planet we were doing our darndest to exploit. Whoever got their sixth colony down would trigger the end of the game. Colonies were worth 1 VP each, as was control of each of the eight
    regions on the planet. There were also two VP cards up for grabs in the card deck, and the Positron Field Generator was worth another 1 VP.

I was the first to get a colony down, in the center of the planet display, as
    wanted that Relic ship (which in game terms gave the owner an extra die to roll) in the Burroughs Desert. And... Michael L immediately made it his mission
    in life to do his utmost to deny it to me. He dogged me the whole game, even when I was in last place (which I was the first 80% of the game). So the few times I was able to thwart someone I usually made him the target of my retribution. Jeff managed to snag both the VP cards from the card deck. And I grabbed the Positron Field Generator. I had the Repulsor Field Generator for a short time. It wasn't worth a VP, but did protect my main province for a while,
    until Michael L played a card to make me discard it. No one activated the Isolation Field Generator (to nullify a territory's bonus).

Near the end Michael L began bragging all he had to do to end the game was get his last colony down (as he already had 5 of his 6 on the planet). I said, well, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll win. For I saw a way I might win if he rolled badly his next turn. I had my 5th colony near the end of the Colonist
    Hub and one more in stock. If Michael faltered, and I managed to roll a at least one "6" (with my seven dice) I had a card that would bump his ship from the Terraforming Station. All I needed to win was a single "6" and two other dice of any number for the Colonist hub (to launch my penultimate colony) and I'd end the game and win. Ah, but I didn't get the chance. He rolled well and terminated the game in his favor.

Scores: Michael L 8 (6 colonies, 2 territories), Jessica P 6 (4 colonies, 2 territories), Jeff G 6 (3 colonies, 1 territory, Alien City card, Alien Monument card), Michael W 6 (4 colonies, 1 territory, Positron Field). Duration: one hour and 44 minutes. I think everyone liked the game.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)