• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 01/30/18

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 31 00:12:42 2019
    X-Received: by 10.36.41.138 with SMTP id p132mr22979978itp.13.1517379163181;
    Tue, 30 Jan 2018 22:12:43 -0800 (PST)
    X-Received: by 10.157.63.152 with SMTP id r24mr393156otc.0.1517379163053; Tue,
    30 Jan 2018 22:12:43 -0800 (PST)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.o rg!paganini.bofh.team!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!feeder.usenetexpress .com!feeder-in1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giga news.com!w142no1542372ita.0!news-out.google.com!b73ni5831ita.0!nntp.google.com! w142no1542369ita.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-f or-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 22:12:42 -0800 (PST)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:6c56:7011:300:5c3b:17c9:53c:b4b9;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:6c56:7011:300:5c3b:17c9:53c:b4b9
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <6dea9167-5a40-4868-9e9a-2fa9022916d3@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 01/30/18
    Injection-Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 06:12:43 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Lines: 102
    Xref: reader02.eternal-september.org dfw.games:978

Tuesday, 01/30/18 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

We had six gamers at two tables this cool evening.

Table #1 - First, my Imhotep, which was new to Joel C. We used all the "A" sides of the five construction sites. Joel concentrated on the Burial Chamber, and made a great many points from it at game end. I kept the upper hand at the Obelisk the whole game. Connor gathered a great many cards from the Market. He had so many I assumed he'd win easily come end game scoring. I was the first to
    build at the Temple, then... my opponent's pretty much left it alone until near the end of the game. In the meantime I made a modest income from it in rounds 1-4. Activity at the Pyramids was fairly balanced.

I was surprised after final scoring that Connor's multitude of bonus scoring cards didn't win him the game.

Scores: Michael W 48, Connor 37, Joel C 37. Duration: 39 minutes. We all enjoyed the game. So... we played it again.

In our second game of Imhotep we used all the "B" sides of the construction sites. This time activity at the Burial Chamber was minimal, whereas building at the Temple was frenetic. At the Obelisk only three towers were completed, two by me and one by Joel. Our blocks at the Market and the Pyramids were about
    evenly split. Joel did best at the Temple, which I think, in hindsight, is what won him the game. Overall it was a high scoring game. Prior to this I hadn't seen anyone make more than 58 points.

Scores: Joel C 65, Michael W 57, Connor 45. Duration: 44 minutes.

Next up, my The Struggle for Catan, which was also new to Joel. Even so, he was
    the first to build a knight. It was a while before anyone else did. Meanwhile I built two roads, while Connor almost immediately started constructing settlements. Then the very next turn he improved it to a city. Zounds! Two turns later he improved that to a City Expansion. About the time the stock of unused knights and roads ran out. Then we began stealing them from each other. Connor then built another Settlement and improved it to a city.

At that point I mentioned we only had a few minutes left. So we all took one more turn. Only I did anything towards score improvement.

Partial scores: Michael W 6, Connor 5, Joel C 5. Duration: 27 minutes. We'd gotten about halfway through a game (as it takes 10 VPs to win). Joel enjoyed the game.

Table II had three players: Emanuel, Duane, and Michael L.

We started about 6:25 and played Duane’s game - Munchkin Panic which was new to all three of us. Duane was cleaning up his game collection and noticed this
    one was still in its wrapper. It is a mix of Castle Panic and Munchkin combined. Players must work together to win but are free to stab each other in
    the back for experience points (i.e.. steal, keep another player from finishing off a monster and getting it yourself, etc..) The game plays with the castle in the middle of a round field. Far away from the castle is a ring of trees that protect the monsters. The field between the trees and the walls of the castles are divided into three zones: Archers, Knights, and Swordsmen. The circle is divided into six segments (one for each spot on a dice). Monsters
    spawn in the forest and then move each turn one zone at a time until they can break down a wall and attack the castle. Meanwhile the players are trying to slay the monsters before they can get to the wall. There are 39 attack pieces (monsters)… each turn a player gets three of them and places them on the board. We did pretty good for most of the game when all of a sudden region 3 (green area) got tons of monsters and the players didn’t have any green cards
    (knights, archers, or swordsmen). We barely got control from that but lost two walls. Then the same thing happened in another region… and we were overrun. Close game as there were only six monsters left on the board before they destroyed our castle ending the game with monsters winning and no score for the human players. We all looked on how we could have played better in our
    hour and thirty-minute game and agreed that we would try again now that we had
    a taste on how to play the game.

We then got out Michael L.’s game, Neuroshima Hex!, which was new to all again. Michael L saw it played and got it and was anxious to play it.. He described it pretty well… a giant knife fight in a phone booth. Very small area of property where futuristic gangs fight for control and turf. Each faction has a distinct specialty… Michael’s was to give a +1 advantage to start a fight, Emanuel’s was a ranged group specializing in long range weapons, and Duane’s group was +1 to melee fights. We played for 48 minutes and ran out of time with Michael at 7, Emanuel at 6 and Duane at 5 points. We still had about 8 turns to go to end (according to our tile count in the bags).

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)