• Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 01/16/18

From mward258@gmail.com@1:124/5013 to All on Thu Jan 17 00:26:56 2019
    X-Received: by 10.107.175.77 with SMTP id y74mr29475862ioe.31.1516170417025;
    Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:26:57 -0800 (PST)
    X-Received: by 10.157.85.15 with SMTP id l15mr31890oth.12.1516170416829; Tue,
    16 Jan 2018 22:26:56 -0800 (PST)
    Path: eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.o rg!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned .com!news.xlned.com!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me. highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!w142no2368590ita.0!news-out.google .com!b73ni17897ita.0!nntp.google.com!g80no2833043itg.0!postnews.google.com!gleg roupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: dfw.games
    Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:26:56 -0800 (PST)
    Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:6c56:7011:300:a014:cc38:d269:2b33;
    posting-account=ZgruygoAAAAXih3ecpeWvTBbn1J8uO68
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:6c56:7011:300:a014:cc38:d269:2b33
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <66564cee-eee7-4582-9cc2-2a57b282a07d@googlegroups.com>
    Subject: Fort Worth Gamers: gaming session 01/16/18
    Injection-Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 06:26:56 +0000
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    X-Received-Bytes: 7391
    X-Received-Body-CRC: 3429872746
    Lines: 107
    Xref: reader02.eternal-september.org dfw.games:976

Tuesday, 01/16/18 6 to 9 PM at the Hulen Mall food court, at 4800 South
    Hulen Street, in southwest Fort Worth, TX.

Due to three "no shows", we only had six gamers (including newcomer Joel C) at two tables this quite frigid evening.

Table #1 - My Settlers of the Stone Age, which was new to my two opponents. Here's a photo of the three-player set up https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/182958/settlers-stone-age .

Within two rounds we were all moving out of Africa and into Eurasia with our explorers. I was the first to plop down a new camp in Eurasia. Connor and Jason
    soon followed suit. After I placed a second camp in Eurasia my strategy changed to hoovering up the Exploration chits in the frigid north of the continent. Concurrently I upped my markers on the construction, clothing, and food Progress Charts. That was necessary to move my explorers farther/faster and cross the forbidding terrain of the icy regions of the north. While I was snapping up exploration chits Connor and Jason were placing more camps in Eurasia.

There was then about a 45 minute lull, where we all had four victory points each, but the dice were not cooperating. So the mid-game proceeded v-e-r-y slowly. Eventually the dice began to cooperate again and we all resumed moving our explorers and building more camps. Necessary, as my scarfing up a lot of the exploration chits had caused massive desertification of Africa, which retarded our resource card production, as we all still had 2-3 camps in the mother continent that were becoming increasingly useless.

I was the first to cross the Bering land bridge into North America. Jason soon followed me across. Similarly, I was the first to place a camp in north America, yet Jason then did so on his next turn. Connor on the other hand was the first to Australia. I followed him on my next turn. He was first to build
    camp there. It was several turns later until I did so.

Connor then made a sudden jaunt into North America and built a camp there, giving him a forth color of tribe counters. Suddenly he was in the lead (after gaining the 2 VP Expansion card). He now had 8 points, while I had 6, and Jason
    had 5. It took 10 to win.

It was now time to pull out all the stops and not only win, but win big! So when my next turn rolled around I was sitting pretty with about 9 resource cards in my hand after my profitable dice roll. First, I built a camp in Australia. That gave me a 1 VP chit for the camp, and the 1 VP card for second place in Expansion (all 4 colors of tribe chits). Next, I moved my explorer across the tip of South America and picked up a third Adaptation card for another VP. Then, I advanced my marker on the Clothing track to take its VP card for getting to the 5th level. Lastly, I picked up the 2 VP Exploration card for having the most exploration chits (12, to Connor's 2 and Jason's 2). Zowie, I made 6 points in one turn!!! That blew my opponent's minds..

Final scores: Michael W 12, Connor 8, Jason P 5. Duration: two hours and two minutes. Everyone enjoyed the game.

Table II had three players: Duane, Michael L and new comer Joel.

We started about 6:15 and played Duane’s game - Splendor which was new to Joel and Michael. We played the standard rules but with one more of each resource available for the beginners. 43 minutes later the score was Michael L 15 pts., D at 13 pts. and Joel at 11 pts. When Michael made his last move both Duane and Joel had the winning combinations in their hand to play their turn. Close game! Now that everyone knew how to play, we played another time with one less resource gem per stack. Made the game quite a bit more strategy but with just one game background everyone made pretty fast strides. Game two ended in 41 minutes with Michael winning again and once again D was to have victory the very next play. Final score in round two was Michael at 15 pts., Duane at 11 pts, and Joel at 8 pts.

Next game was D’s Biotix. New to both Michael and Joel. You play three rounds with scores taken at the end of each round. Round one score was Michael
    L with 28, Duane with 12 and Joel at 4 points. Round 2 was a disaster round for Michael and ended with him having a minus 1 for a score, Joel with an astounding 60 pts. and D with 28 pts. We literally used every microbe in the bag down to only one remaining (the white one ending the round) finally came out to end the round. The totals so far are Michael 27, D 40, and Joel 64. The final round had Michael being more than 25 pts behind, so he got to play a eureka project worth 30 pts. He picked the red microbes and a 1 so if he ended
    the game with just one red microbe then he would get an extra 30 points. D and Joel tried their best to make sure Michael did NOT have the one red microbe
    at the end… but alas he did but both did destroy most of his other microbes in the process. The round ended with Michael getting 0 points but did get his 30 pts for his Eureka project (yes, he ended up getting one at the end) so he had a total of 30 this round. Joel had only 4 points and D got 42. Final place and scores: Duane - 82 pts., Joel 68 pts. and Michael 57 pts. in 24 minutes of play for the game.

The other table had just broken up and Connor came over to play Catan dice with
    us. We agreed to stop at 8:55 as to be ready to go at 9 p.m. D & Connor were
    twins getting exactly the same rolls for 5 turns in a row. Michael couldn’t
    get hardly anything to make… the dice just weren’t working but Joel was smoking on his rolls. We ended up only getting 10 of our 16 turns as time ran out. 25 minutes of play had our scores as: Joel 53 pts, Connor 33 pts., Michael L 27 pts., and Duane 23 pts.

See BoardgameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for more information on the games mentioned above. And if you're in the area on a Tuesday night feel
    free to join us for a game.

--
    Michael Ward
    Fort Worth Gamers
    And check out our MeetUp page http://www.meetup.com/FortWorthGamers/ .
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)