• Message Base Language Filter

From Ray Quinn@1:103/705 to All on Sun Oct 27 21:12:28 2019
    Is it possible to filter out, or mask in some way, foul language, profanity? I realize that that is the world we live in, but I really don't want or need to see some of the language that is in a lot of the forums. I hear it it at work (I work with foul-mouthed truck drivers, especially the owner), to some degree on TV and frequently, on YouTube, etc.

I merely want a way to do this on my local system, not anything that is forwarded to downlinks. Either on-the-fly as they are imported, after imported,
    (for example, with smbutil or sbbsecho), or both. I know the packet BBS door has a filter, but I haven't found one on the BBS itself.

73 de Ray Quinn W6RAY
    Visalia, CA USA DM06ii
    When all else fails, ham radio works!

---
    þ Synchronet þ US 99 BBS - Visalia, CA - bbs.quinnnet.org
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Ray Quinn on Mon Oct 28 00:09:26 2019
    Re: Message Base Language Filter
    By: Ray Quinn to All on Sun Oct 27 2019 09:12 pm

Is it possible to filter out, or mask in some way, foul language,
    profanity?
    I realize that that is the world we live in, but I really don't want or
    need
    to see some of the language that is in a lot of the forums. I hear it it at work (I work with foul-mouthed truck drivers, especially the owner), to
    some
    degree on TV and frequently, on YouTube, etc.

I merely want a way to do this on my local system, not anything that is forwarded to downlinks. Either on-the-fly as they are imported, after imported, (for example, with smbutil or sbbsecho), or both. I know the packet BBS door has a filter, but I haven't found one on the BBS itself.

There's no built-in such feature in Synchronet. But if you were to write your own message reader, you could certainly remove or change words before they are displayed to the user, as you like.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #81:
    XON = Transmit On (ASCII 17, Ctrl-Q)
    Norco, CA WX: 60.6øF, 19.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Ray Quinn@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Oct 28 19:16:20 2019
    By: Ray Quinn to All on Sun Oct 27 2019 09:12 pm

There's no built-in such feature in Synchronet. But if you were to write
    your
    own message reader, you could certainly remove or change words before they are displayed to the user, as you like.

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer. I have to research what I want to accomplish in a script or batch file each time.Oh, well, I guess I will either
    just have to deal with it or quit reading.

Thanks for the reply.
    ---

If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body,
    then only left handed people are in their right minds.

_____
    , |[][]|
    ,__| ______| |
    ,__/__]|| ________ | D8 |
    |__!___!!`--'L_______\ |__________|() ___________
    "(_)[___]====(_)(_)=| \_(___________)_/__/=(_)===(_)~'

73 de Ray Quinn W6RAY
    GMRS WQTX645
    Visalia, CA USA DM06ii
    When all else fails, ham radio works!
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ US 99 BBS - Visalia, CA - bbs.quinnnet.org
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Ray Quinn on Tue Oct 29 10:15:15 2019
    By: Ray Quinn to Digital Man on Mon Oct 28 2019 07:16 pm

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer. I have to research what I want to accomplish in a script or batch file each time.Oh, well, I guess I will either just have to deal with it or quit reading.

Even experienced software developers often have to research ways to accomplish something in a given programming language. A developer might be using a language that is less familiar with them, or it may be the case that a language they know well is changing and they have to look up best ways to do something in an updated version of the language.

In the end, there are many different programming languages, and we can't know everything, so we have to look up things a lot.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com