• Purely text-based BBS doors (no ansi)

From Divarin@1:103/705 to All on Mon Jul 22 08:17:31 2019
    Hi all, this isn't necessarily just for Synchronet SysOps but it seemed like the most appropriate message board given the options.
    I've been playing around with some older hardware including an Apple IIc, some dos based PDAs and a TRS-80 model 100.
    I like to try to get these things connected to BBSs but with the Apple II and especially the model 100 a lot of the BBS door games available
    aren't really playable without ansi support, at least cursor positioning if not
    color.
    My board does have one that I can play over the model 100: Oregon Trail but I'd
    like to open up a section filled with games that can be played on non-ansi compliant terminal emulators.
    Text adventures seem like an obvious choice but I tried playing some under the "Dos Games" section of Battlestar BBS and ansi was required there as well.
    I also tried a MUD and needed ansi for that as well.
    I'm trying to compile a list of door games that can be played without ansi
    any ideas?

---
    þ Synchronet þ MutinyBBS.com port 2332
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to Divarin on Mon Jul 22 14:36:32 2019
    Re: Purely text-based BBS doors (no ansi)
    By: Divarin to All on Mon Jul 22 2019 08:17:31

I like to try to get these things connected to BBSs but with the Apple II and especially the model 100 a lot of the BBS door games available
    aren't really playable without ansi support, at least cursor positioning if not color.

I had an NEC PC-8201A years ago, close cousin to the TRS-80 Model 100. It was a really fun little
    machine. If memory serves it (and likely the Model 100) supported most of VT-52 including cursor
    positioning. I may be wrong about that. Of course the screen is 40x8 (IIRC there were programs that
    would double the width if not height) so that's of limited use.

Text adventures seem like an obvious choice but I tried playing some
    under
    the "Dos Games" section of Battlestar BBS and ansi was required there as well. I also tried a MUD and needed ansi for that as well.
    I'm trying to compile a list of door games that can be played without
    ansi
    any ideas?

You might want to reach out to maskreet of DoorParty. I believe he set up a large suite of text
    adventure games over there, and many of them would probably be friendly to your devices. You might be
    able to test them via his system, or get some setup tips.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to echicken on Mon Jul 22 19:08:28 2019
    By: Divarin to All on Mon Jul 22 2019 08:17:31

I like to try to get these things connected to BBSs but with the Apple II and especially the model 100 a lot of the BBS door games available aren't really playable without ansi support, at least cursor positioning if not color.

I had an NEC PC-8201A years ago, close cousin to the TRS-80 Model 100. It was a really fun little
    machine.

The first computer I used in 1978 was a TRS-80 Model 1 .. was fun to play with,
    the second (mostly unsuccessful) system in 1979 was a HeathKit H11, had to assemble it (some soldering required), that system had a 300 baud cradle modem which was how I was introduced to BBSes in 1980 dialing into the Dalhousie University Citadel Server

My doctor said I have the body of a 25 year old ... and the mind of a 10 :-/

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81
  • From HusTler@1:103/705 to Divarin on Tue Jul 23 09:00:06 2019
    Subject: Purely text-based BBS doors (no ansi)
    @MSGID: <5D3704D6.176.dove-syncops@havens.synchronetbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <5D35A95B.1097.dove-syncops@mutinybbs.com>
    @TZ: c12c
    By: Divarin to All on Mon Jul 22 2019 08:17 am

I'm trying to compile a list of door games that can be played without
    ansi
    any ideas?

Try any of the Infocom games eg. Zork Zork II Zork III Beyond Zork and many others. You can check them out on Havens BBS. havens.synchro.net:23

HusTler
    Havens BBS (havens.synchro.net)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Android8675@1:103/705 to Divarin on Tue Jul 23 11:46:10 2019
    By: Divarin to All on Mon Jul 22 2019 08:17 am

Text adventures seem like an obvious choice but I tried playing some
    under
    the "Dos Games" section of Battlestar BBS and ansi was required there as well. I also tried a MUD and needed ansi for that as well.

Yeah, find yourself a VT100 or ANSI term for the TRS/Apple, if you can. I found
    one for my Atari 8-bit, only 4 color, but it works.

The IF (Interactive Fiction) area on my board uses a program called WaffleInfocom. As I recal it does not use ANSI.

I should probably go through all my games and see which ones are unplayable without ansi and set appropriate permissions.

Does apple2+/e/c have any terminal emulation that may not be ANSI, but at least
    has some control above basic ASCII?
    --
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com
  • From Divarin@1:103/705 to echicken on Thu Jul 25 08:11:24 2019
    By: echicken to Divarin on Mon Jul 22 2019 14:36:32

You might want to reach out to maskreet of DoorParty. I believe he set up adventure games over there, and many of them would probably be friendly to able to test them via his system, or get some setup tips.
    I tried door party through battlestar BBS unfortunately the text adventures (I launched Sherlock) use doorway and doorwas is spitting out ansi codes for every
    non-alphanumeric character, even the spaces between words.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MutinyBBS.com port 2332