• Help with MRC

From HusTler@1:103/705 to echicken on Mon Jul 1 22:34:59 2019
    Followed the readme setting up MRC. Everthing is configured as out outlined in
    the readme. The lightbar and help menu comes up but its not connecting to a server. I logged in to a Mystic board with MRC and everthing is good over there. So what am I doing wrong??
    HusTler
    Havens BBS (havens.synchro.net)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to HusTler on Mon Jul 1 23:07:23 2019
    Re: Help with MRC
    By: HusTler to echicken on Mon Jul 01 2019 22:34:59

Followed the readme setting up MRC. Everthing is configured as out outlined in the readme.

Your BBS might need to be restarted so that the mrc-connector service starts up.

The MRC client tries to connect to mrc-connector on localhost:5000 by default. This is configured in xtrn/mrc/mrc-client.ini. Depending on how you've set your system up, you may need to substitute 'localhost' for whatever interface your service(s) listen on.

connecting to a server. I logged in to a Mystic board with MRC and everthing is good over there. So what am I doing wrong??

It's working fine on my system as well, so nothing's all-around broken with the
    Synchronet client and it "should" work for you.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From HusTler@1:103/705 to echicken on Tue Jul 2 11:25:56 2019
    By: echicken to HusTler on Mon Jul 01 2019 11:07 pm

Your BBS might need to be restarted so that the mrc-connector service starts up.

Yea.. I did that

The MRC client tries to connect to mrc-connector on localhost:5000 by default. This is configured in xtrn/mrc/mrc-client.ini. Depending on how you've set your system up, you may need to substitute 'localhost' for whatever interface your service(s) listen on.

Ok.. is localhost:5000 a requirent to connect to MRC servers?? Can I use anything I want? Lets say localhost:23211 or localhost:9999 ??
    HusTler

---
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to HusTler on Tue Jul 2 13:24:19 2019
    By: HusTler to echicken on Tue Jul 02 2019 11:25:56

Ok.. is localhost:5000 a requirent to connect to MRC servers?? Can I use anything I want? Lets say localhost:23211 or localhost:9999 ??

You can use whatever port you want.

In ctrl/services.ini, tell mrc-connector.js to listen on a port and interface of your choosing.

In xtrn/mrc/mrc-client.ini, enter the address and port where mrc-client.js will
    connect to the mrc-connector.js service.

I'll admit this is a bit clunky, but I had some reasons at the time. There are
    some obvious improvements to be made and maybe I'll tackle them eventually.

---
    echicken
  • From HusTler@1:103/705 to echicken on Tue Jul 2 19:39:57 2019
    By: echicken to HusTler on Mon Jul 01 2019 11:07 pm

MRC doesn't work. MarisG says everthing is set up per MRC readme

HusTler

---
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to HusTler on Tue Jul 2 21:33:18 2019
    By: HusTler to echicken on Tue Jul 02 2019 19:39:57

MarisG says everthing is set up per MRC readme

I've heard that one before.

MRC doesn't work.

Most likely it isn't set up correctly.

There's a chance that there's some difference between your Synchronet build/install and mine which is causing it, but I doubt it.

Maybe there are log entries from around the time you start your BBS, or around the time you launch the MRC client which would reveal something.

Maybe the service (or all of your services) are listening on a particular interface that 'localhost' doesn't point to. Are you able to connect to whatever port mrc-connector is listening on? If you do that and type in some junk, does it show up in your log?

---
    echicken
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/17 to HusTler on Sat Jul 6 06:04:38 2019
    By: HusTler to echicken on Tue Jul 02 2019 07:39 pm

MRC doesn't work. MarisG says everthing is set up per MRC readme

HusTler

I've been following this thread a little. Sounds like you're having the same problem I was having.

When I first loaded MRC, I got the 'menu' but it looked like it was stuck, it wasn't showing anything. I could pull up the /help and exit out but that's all it did. (Is your's doing that? I didn't see your exact problem. When I set it up, I missed a few steps. Here's what I did to fix them:

When I first set it up, I renamed/copied the sample ini files that came with the MRC packet, but I forgot to edit some of the default stuff to reflect my BBS. When I first loaded up MRC, like I said in above paragraph, it laded MRC, but all that showed on the remote screen was the MRC menu, but didn't show
    any connection. So I double-checked. I found that I copied the wrong sample ini's.

After I did that, it STILL didn't fix my issue, but THEN it showed my BBS on the list of connected BBSes. So, I opened up port 5000 on my router (which might not even have been the cause of the problem, but I did open it up anyways), then I went and TRIPLE-checked, and saw that I left some of the default settings that I should have changed to reflect my BBS, and it worked!

I think MY issue was that I just was trying to get it working quick, and I overlooked some simple steps, and made it harder than it was. If you want, I can look at your ini's and see if you did what I did?

Hope this helps
    Regards,
    KrUpTiOn
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS(frontierbbs.net) - [Ohio] (1:226/17)
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to Charles Stephenson on Sat Jul 6 12:25:36 2019
    By: Charles Stephenson to HusTler on Sat Jul 06 2019 06:04:38

on the list of connected BBSes. So, I opened up port 5000 on my router (which might not even have been the cause of the problem, but I did open

This should not be necessary. The only thing that connects to mrc-connector.js
    is mrc-client.js, running on the same machine (in a typical setup).

it up anyways), then I went and TRIPLE-checked, and saw that I left some of the default settings that I should have changed to reflect my BBS, and it worked!

I don't think there are any settings that need to be changed (in mrc-connector.ini or mrc-client.ini) to get it working out of the box. If this
    really did fix something, I'd like to know which setting if you remember.

---
    echicken
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/17 to echicken on Mon Jul 8 22:34:57 2019
    By: echicken to Charles Stephenson on Sat Jul 06 2019 12:25 pm

it up anyways), then I went and TRIPLE-checked, and saw that I left
    some of the default settings that I should have changed to reflect
    my BBS, and it worked!

I don't think there are any settings that need to be changed (in mrc-connector.ini or mrc-client.ini) to get it working out of the box. If this really did fix something, I'd like to know which setting if you remember.

I have no idea what I did, I remember when I first set it up, and copied/renamed the templates and it didn't work. I even went to look at it, it looks like I really didn't change much of ANYthing, but whatever I did it worked. Maybe it was just a matter of a few reboots... No idea honestly. It's
    still working
    Regards,
    KrUpTiOn
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS(frontierbbs.net) - [Ohio] (1:226/17)