• OpenDoors

From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to All on Thu Dec 2 08:26:56 2021
    Is there any chance opendoors is going to become a x64 based compile, or is that idea basically dead with the JavaScript way of making doors?

---TLM

---
    þ Synchronet þ Nite Eyes BBS - To make people happy about my tagline everywhere...
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 2 19:02:01 2021
    Re: OpenDoors
    By: The Lizard Master to All on Thu Dec 02 2021 08:26:56

Is there any chance opendoors is going to become a x64 based compile, or is that idea basically dead with the JavaScript way of making doors?

There's still a place for a non-JS door kit, but if Opendoors needs updating, someone would need to take an interest and put in the work. Not sure who would do that, but there's always a chance.

Meanwhile we do have 'dorkit' which is meant to make JS games portable beyond Synchronet. It's probably more likely to get updates and attention. I'm not sure what state Deuce left it in.
    ---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 2 11:04:40 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to All on Thu Dec 02 2021 08:26 am

OpenDoors could likely build for Windows-x64 with very few changes, if any. But what would be the gain? 32-bit doors run just fine on 64-bit versions of Windows. <shrug> There might be some imperceptable performance improvement, but practically speaking, I can't think of a reason a sysop would need Win64 doors instead of Win32.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #11:
    Doyle Hargraves (to Karl): What in the hell you doin' with that hammer?
    Norco, CA WX: 67.1øF, 43.0% humidity, 1 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 2 11:20:33 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to All on Thu Dec 02 2021 08:26 am

I don't know, but I thought OpenDoors at least had 32-bit binaries, and 32-bit binaries will still run on a 64-bit OS.

Also, what do you mean by "the JavaScript way of making doors"? If you're referring to Synchronet JavaScript, it's still very much supported and isn't dead.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Dec 2 14:51:21 2021
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 02 2021 11:04 am

OpenDoors could likely build for Windows-x64 with very few changes, if any. But what would be the gain? 32-bit doors run just fine on 64-bit versions of Windows. <shrug> There might be some imperceptable performance improvement, but practically speaking, I can't think of a reason a sysop would need Win64 doors instead of Win32.

Well, and this is absurd, but I was using Qbasic64 and including OpenDoors which appeared that it would work perfectly. Qbasic64 is 64bit only though and so it choked on compile both just using the .DLL (which makes sense) and the full recompile of OpenDoors.

In Visual Studio I can compile to x64 (compiles fine, but doesn't execute because it's x32), but when I target x32 I get unresolved external symbols. It's not worth the effort for either of these projects, but it is why I asked. Thanks!

---TLM

---
    þ Synchronet þ Nite Eyes BBS - To make people happy about my tagline everywhere...
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Dec 2 14:52:25 2021
    By: Nightfox to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 02 2021 11:20 am

Also, what do you mean by "the JavaScript way of making doors"? If you're referring to Synchronet JavaScript, it's still very much supported and isn't dead.

I didn't mean to say that was dead, I just figured OpenDoors might never go 64 because JavaScript is available.

---TLM

---
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Dec 2 15:34:47 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:51 pm

because it's x32), but when I target x32 I get unresolved external symbols. It's not worth the effort for either of these projects, but it is why I asked. Thanks!

Nevermind on the unresolved issue, I remembered I rebuilt the .lib file while I was horsing around with it. I used the original and it began compiling x32.

---TLM

---
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 2 12:49:53 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Nightfox on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:52 pm

Also, what do you mean by "the JavaScript way of making doors"? If
    you're referring to Synchronet JavaScript, it's still very much
    supported and isn't dead.

I didn't mean to say that was dead, I just figured OpenDoors might never go 64 because JavaScript is available.

So far, Synchronet is the only BBS software I know of that uses JavaScript as a language for mods (other BBS packages use other languages - I believe Mystic uses Python?). But one problem with that is that a JavaScript door would only work on Synchronet BBSes (and aside from that, there is no standardized JavaScript door development API). The advantage of something like OpenDoors is that you can develop BBS doors that will work with any BBS software. So I see no reason it shouldn't go 64-bit if desired.

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 2 13:07:17 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 03:34 pm

By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:51 pm

because it's x32), but when I target x32 I get unresolved external symbols. It's not worth the effort for either of these projects, but it is why I asked. Thanks!

Nevermind on the unresolved issue, I remembered I rebuilt the .lib file while I was horsing around with it. I used the original and it began compiling x32.

"x32" isn't really a thing (you mean i386, or Win32), but I get your meaning. Anyway, re-targetting OpenDoors to build (the .DLL) for x64 shouldn't be too hard for someone to do.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #34:
    We go out in the world take our chances fate's just the weight of circumstances Norco, CA WX: 71.6øF, 49.0% humidity, 7 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Dec 2 13:08:59 2021
    By: Nightfox to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 02 2021 12:49 pm

By: The Lizard Master to Nightfox on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:52 pm

Also, what do you mean by "the JavaScript way of making doors"? If
    you're referring to Synchronet JavaScript, it's still very much
    supported and isn't dead.

So far, Synchronet is the only BBS software I know of that uses JavaScript as a language for mods (other BBS packages use other languages - I believe Mystic uses Python?). But one problem with that is that a JavaScript door would only work on Synchronet BBSes

The exception: Deuce's jsdoor project. I think it's been successfully used to run the JS port of LORD on non-Synchronet BBSes (Mystic?).
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #5:
    ATASCII = ATARI Standard Code for Information Interchange
    Norco, CA WX: 71.6øF, 49.0% humidity, 7 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Dec 2 13:17:56 2021

Mystic uses Python?). But one problem with that is that a JavaScript door would only work on Synchronet BBSes (and aside from that, there is no standardized JavaScript door development API).

There's no standardized native/DOS door development API either, unless you consider drop files and FOSSIL an "API".

The advantage of something
    like OpenDoors is that you can develop BBS doors that will work with any BBS software.

Not "any BBS software", but a lot. The 32-bit OpenDoors implementation supports inherited socket descriptor, inhereited com port handle, or stdio redirection. Not all BBS software packages support these door I/O methods.

So I see no reason it shouldn't go 64-bit if desired.

Yes, and I think it'd be trivial for someone to do that.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #28:
    The future pre-decided, detached and subdivided in the mass production zone Norco, CA WX: 70.7øF, 51.0% humidity, 7 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to echicken on Thu Dec 2 12:56:15 2021
    By: echicken to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 02 2021 07:02 pm

Meanwhile we do have 'dorkit' which is meant to make JS games portable beyond Synchronet. It's probably more likely to get updates and attention. I'm not sure what state Deuce left it in.

I had wanted to update SlyEdit to be compatible with Dorkit, but the last time I checked (a couple years ago maybe), Dorkit still seemed to be missing some things that SlyEdit would have needed. I haven't seen any updates to Dorkit in a while.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Dec 2 14:21:07 2021
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Dec 02 2021 01:08 pm

The exception: Deuce's jsdoor project. I think it's been successfully used to run the JS port of LORD on non-Synchronet BBSes (Mystic?).

That sounds familiar. It looks like I don't have a copy of jsdoor on my system though - I'd be curious to check it out if it's available for download somewhere. Does it make use of Dorkit?

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Dec 2 14:38:05 2021
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:21 pm

That sounds familiar. It looks like I don't have a copy of jsdoor on my system though - I'd be curious to check it out if it's available for download somewhere.

https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/jobs/27789/artifacts/download?file_type=archive

Does it make use of Dorkit?

lord.js makes use of DorKit.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #4:
    Synchronet version 3 is written mostly in C, with some C++, x86 ASM, and Pascal.
    Norco, CA WX: 68.5øF, 53.0% humidity, 10 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Dec 2 17:41:21 2021

So far, Synchronet is the only BBS software I know of that uses JavaScript as a language for mods (other BBS packages use other languages - I believe Mystic uses Python?). But one problem with that is that a JavaScript door would only work on Synchronet BBSes (and aside from that, there is no standardized JavaScript door development API). The advantage of something like OpenDoors is that you can develop BBS doors that will work with any BBS software. So I see no reason it shouldn't go 64-bit if desired.

Yeah, I'm just kind of tooling around. Qbasic has a neat integration with C++ and even directly to DLLs. It was a random rabbit hole I went down. Thanks for the reply!

---TLM

---
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Dec 2 17:49:26 2021
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 02 2021 01:07 pm

"x32" isn't really a thing (you mean i386, or Win32), but I get your meaning. Anyway, re-targetting OpenDoors to build (the .DLL) for x64 shouldn't be too hard for someone to do.

Right thank you, I meant Win32. I retargeted OpenDoors to x64 and it compiled with no errors. Will keep playing! Thanks!

---TLM

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Dec 2 14:53:16 2021
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:38 pm

By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:21 pm

That sounds familiar. It looks like I don't have a copy of jsdoor on my system though - I'd be curious to check it out if it's available for download somewhere.

https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/jobs/27789/artifacts/download?file_ty pe= archive

Better link: https://gitlab.synchro.net/sbbs/sbbs/-/jobs/artifacts/master/download?job=jsdoor-windows
    --
    digital man

Breaking Bad quote #26:
    Your commercials suck ass. I've seen better acting in an epileptic whorehouse. Norco, CA WX: 68.5øF, 52.0% humidity, 9 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Dec 2 18:01:51 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 05:49 pm

Right thank you, I meant Win32. I retargeted OpenDoors to x64 and it compiled with no errors. Will keep playing! Thanks!

Ha, well, I guess it's not that simple. I noticed the file size was much smaller and when try to call a funciton in the DLL it doesn't exist. I guess it just skipped all the W32 stuff thats in the header.

---TLM

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 2 17:46:18 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 06:01 pm

By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 05:49 pm

Ha, well, I guess it's not that simple. I noticed the file size was much smaller and when try to call a funciton in the DLL it doesn't exist. I guess it just skipped all the W32 stuff thats in the header.

I haven't tried to build OpenDoors in ages. What version of MSVC are you using? --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #40:
    HTTPS = Secure HTTP (authenticated and encrypted HTTP over TLS)
    Norco, CA WX: 56.7øF, 79.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From echicken@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Fri Dec 3 04:06:03 2021
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Thu Dec 02 2021 14:21:07

That sounds familiar. It looks like I don't have a copy of jsdoor on my system though - I'd be curious to check it out if it's available for download somewhere. Does it make use of Dorkit?

They're parts of the same project. I believe 'jsdoor' is the executable / runtime (along the lines of jsexec), while 'dorkit' is a JS framework meant to provide a compatibility layer. You'd load dorkit into your JS project, and write / port your stuff to work with dorkit, and it would run either under Synchronet or under jsdoor.
    ---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Tracker1@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Dec 2 23:10:33 2021
    On 12/2/21 13:49, Nightfox wrote:

So far, Synchronet is the only BBS software I know of that uses
    JavaScript as a language for mods (other BBS packages use other
    languages - I believe Mystic uses Python?)

Enigma is entirely (except for a small rust shim for doors), JavaScript
    based (Node.js)... but the models and approach is very different, so the runtime wouldn't apply, without a rather large surface to shim in
    support for Synchronet JS doors.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
    ---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Dec 3 08:49:51 2021
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 02 2021 05:46 pm

I haven't tried to build OpenDoors in ages. What version of MSVC are you using? --

2022 64bit 17.0.

---TLM

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 3 10:59:35 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Fri Dec 03 2021 08:49 am

By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Thu Dec 02 2021 05:46 pm

2022 64bit 17.0.

I tried building OpenDoors (using its win32.mak file) with MSVC2019 and it failed with errors. Did you create your own build/project files to build it successfully with MSVC2022?
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #14:
    First name of Emlio - that's at least half a beaner, let you off for $10 - Hank Norco, CA WX: 51.6øF, 98.0% humidity, 1 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Dec 3 15:39:03 2021
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 03 2021 10:59 am

2022 64bit 17.0.

I tried building OpenDoors (using its win32.mak file) with MSVC2019 and it failed with errors. Did you create your own build/project files to build it successfully with MSVC2022?

Yea, I created my own project and also had to run the Visual Studio Command Prompt something like lib /def:opendoor.def /out:opendoor64.lib /machine:x64

Then I pointed the liner to the .lib file

Can't remember exactly, but I can try and replicate it if needed. I'm not sure any of this is right though. You can tell me if that's the wrong direction.

---TLM

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 3 12:43:09 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Fri Dec 03 2021 03:39 pm

By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 03 2021 10:59 am

2022 64bit 17.0.

Yea, I created my own project and also had to run the Visual Studio Command Prompt something like lib /def:opendoor.def /out:opendoor64.lib /machine:x64

Then I pointed the liner to the .lib file

Can't remember exactly, but I can try and replicate it if needed. I'm not sure any of this is right though. You can tell me if that's the wrong direction.

A (new) project file might be fine. Can you generate a working 32-bit version of the OpenDoors DLL from it?
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #5:
    ATASCII = ATARI Standard Code for Information Interchange
    Norco, CA WX: 61.3øF, 73.0% humidity, 1 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Dec 3 16:18:34 2021
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 03 2021 12:43 pm

A (new) project file might be fine. Can you generate a working 32-bit version of the OpenDoors DLL from it?

Ah smart, no, it is not working. It comples fine, creates the .DLL, but I just tried to drop it in one of the doors I know is working and got "The Application was unable to start correctly." The file size is also much smaller than the original DLL so I must be missing something, but there are no compile errors.

---TLM

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 3 14:53:15 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Digital Man on Fri Dec 03 2021 04:18 pm

By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 03 2021 12:43 pm

Ah smart, no, it is not working. It comples fine, creates the .DLL, but I just tried to drop it in one of the doors I know is working and got "The Application was unable to start correctly." The file size is also much smaller than the original DLL so I must be missing something, but there are no compile errors.

Okay, so that'd be the first step: get a working 32-bit build of the DLL using your toolchain, then try building/using a 64-bit target.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #19:
    DCD = Data Carrier Detect
    Norco, CA WX: 66.3øF, 58.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From The Lizard Master@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat Dec 4 10:07:47 2021
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Fri Dec 03 2021 02:53 pm

Okay, so that'd be the first step: get a working 32-bit build of the DLL using your toolchain, then try building/using a 64-bit target.

Yeah, I see what I was doing wrong now. Still not working, but I'll see if I can get it to go.

---TLM

---
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Dec 5 15:03:28 2021
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:53 pm

Better link: https://gitlab.synchro.net/sbbs/sbbs/-/jobs/artifacts/master/download?job= jsdoor-windows

One thing I noticed about that jsdoor.exe is that it was complaining that libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was missing. I noticed I had that on my system though, in C:\Program Files\Git\mingw32\bin, so I had to add that directory to my path in order for jsdoor to run.

I noticed that the JS LORD instructions mention you can run it with jsdoor. Is there a jsdoor executable package that is released to the general public? I imagine it would need to include the above mentioned DLL (and I'm not sure if there are more DLLs it requires).

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Sun Dec 5 18:56:06 2021
    Re: jsdoor
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Sun Dec 05 2021 03:03 pm

By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Dec 02 2021 02:53 pm

Better link: https://gitlab.synchro.net/sbbs/sbbs/-/jobs/artifacts/mast er/download?job= jsdoor-windows

One thing I noticed about that jsdoor.exe is that it was complaining that libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was missing. I noticed I had that on my system though, in C:\Program Files\Git\mingw32\bin, so I had to add that directory to my path in order for jsdoor to run.

I noticed that the JS LORD instructions mention you can run it with jsdoor. Is there a jsdoor executable package that is released to the general public? I imagine it would need to include the above mentioned DLL (and I'm not sure if there are more DLLs it requires).

That'd be a question for Deuce. I have no idea. I *think* he made some public jsdoor release with dorkit and lord.js for other sysops to test/use. He doesn't come around these parts much lately, so you'd have to ask him in #synchronet or on one of his systems maybe.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #65:
    Synchronet can dynamically compress and uncompress message bases (using LZH). Norco, CA WX: 58.6øF, 72.0% humidity, 1 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux