• SyncTERM 1.1b cut/paste

From Altere@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Nov 17 15:11:42 2019
    I'm not sure of the behavior under windows as I don't use it for desktop anymore either. But under Linux, the cut/paste works fine from within SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM and paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link someone posted or something you wanted to save in a txt file for reference later. And/or have http and https recogonized and create a url link that you could click on to automatically open in a new tab of your browser.

Not sure if this would be considered a bug and/or feature request as I'm not sure if the intention of the copy/paste just for within SyncTERM or not.

-altere

---
    þ Synchronet þ Athelstan BBS þ athelstan.org þ telnet:23 | ssh:2222
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Altere on Sun Nov 17 16:36:14 2019
    Re: SyncTERM 1.1b cut/paste
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Sun Nov 17 2019 03:11 pm

I'm not sure of the behavior under windows as I don't use it for desktop anymore either. But under Linux, the cut/paste works fine from within SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM and paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link someone posted or something you wanted to save in a txt file for reference later. And/or have http and https recogonized and create a url link that you could click on to automatically open in a new tab of your browser.

Not sure if this would be considered a bug and/or feature request as I'm
    not
    sure if the intention of the copy/paste just for within SyncTERM or not.

In Linux and at least FreeBSD (not sure about OS X), there are (at least) 2 differet copy/paste buffers. Try middle-clicking the mouse to paste the SyncTERM selected text into another application (e.g. Chrome).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #102:
    Synchronet added PETSCII (e.g. C64/C128) terminal support in October of 2018. Norco, CA WX: 85.0øF, 12.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From HusTler@1:103/705 to Altere on Sun Nov 17 19:05:24 2019
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Sun Nov 17 2019 03:11 pm

SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM and paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link someone posted or something you wanted to save in a txt file for reference later.

Do you have a clip board installed? I use clipit under Lubuntu. Works very well. I don't know what Linux distro you use so you'll need to look that up.

Havens BBS

SysOp: HusTler

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Alterego@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 18 12:29:51 2019
    By: Digital Man to Altere on Sun Nov 17 2019 04:36 pm

In Linux and at least FreeBSD (not sure about OS X), there are (at least) 2 differet copy/paste buffers. Try middle-clicking the mouse to paste the SyncTERM selected text into another application (e.g. Chrome).

FWIW, I use a MAC - and anything I highlight with my mouse goes into my copy/paste buffer. I'm using SyncTerm v1.0 (because there isnt a 1.1 for MAC :(

Anything I put in my copy/paste buffer, I can past with a right click... ...ëîå*

... Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist needs his head examined!

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Nov 17 22:49:07 2019

I'm not sure of the behavior under windows as I don't use it for desktop anymore either. But under Linux, the cut/paste works fine from within SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM and paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link someone

I don't have a middle mouse button on my laptop, so I tried the "click both left and right at the same time" that sometimes works for a middle click but that didn't work with SyncTERM. I then grabbed my usb mouse from my desktop that does have a middle button, which does not work either. I tried selecting, holding left and then clicking right also. I'm under Linux Mint 19.2 using Cinnamon 4.2.4. I can try under CentOS 8 w/GNOME tomorrow.

-altere

---
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to HusTler on Sun Nov 17 22:58:57 2019
    By: HusTler to Altere on Sun Nov 17 2019 07:05 pm

SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM and paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link
    someone
    posted or something you wanted to save in a txt file for reference later.

Do you have a clip board installed? I use clipit under Lubuntu. Works very well. I don't know what Linux distro you use so you'll need to look that
    up.

Mint 19.2 w/Cinnamon, which from what I can tell doesn't include a default clipboard manager so going with your recommendation, I installed clipit, which doesn't work for me either. What specifically are you clicking from SyncTERM to get it to copy and then paste into another program?

-altere

---
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 18 00:32:00 2019
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Sun Nov 17 2019 10:49 pm

I'm not sure of the behavior under windows as I don't use it for desktop anymore either. But under Linux, the cut/paste works fine
    from
    within SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM and paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link someone

In Linux and at least FreeBSD (not sure about OS X), there are (at
    least)
    2 differet copy/paste buffers. Try middle-clicking the mouse to paste
    the
    SyncTERM selected text into another application (e.g. Chrome).

I don't have a middle mouse button on my laptop, so I tried the "click both left and right at the same time" that sometimes works for a middle click
    but
    that didn't work with SyncTERM. I then grabbed my usb mouse from my desktop that does have a middle button, which does not work either. I tried selecting, holding left and then clicking right also. I'm under Linux Mint 19.2 using Cinnamon 4.2.4. I can try under CentOS 8 w/GNOME tomorrow.

I booted up my CentOS 8 w/GNOME machine, compiled the latest src 1.1b and I'm getting the same problem, works within SyncTERM but can not paste to another program. I went ahead and downloaded 1.0 as well, and compiled it (after figuring out the -mcpu flag error) and have the same problem.

Methods used on both versions under both OS's:
    hold left while selecting then release
    hold left while selecting + right
    hold left while selecting + middle

Additionally, under CentOS 8, 1.0 display has no problem, 1.1b however loads with a transparent background (I just see the version at top and whatever is behind the program), I don't see the menu until I press the arrow keys, once connected it's fine, aside from the copy/paste issue I'm having of course.

-altere

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Altere on Sun Nov 17 23:13:33 2019
    By: Altere to Digital Man on Sun Nov 17 2019 10:49 pm

I'm not sure of the behavior under windows as I don't use it for desktop anymore either. But under Linux, the cut/paste works fine
    from
    within SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM and paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link someone

In Linux and at least FreeBSD (not sure about OS X), there are (at
    least)
    2 differet copy/paste buffers. Try middle-clicking the mouse to paste
    the
    SyncTERM selected text into another application (e.g. Chrome).

I don't have a middle mouse button on my laptop, so I tried the "click both left and right at the same time" that sometimes works for a middle click
    but
    that didn't work with SyncTERM. I then grabbed my usb mouse from my desktop that does have a middle button, which does not work either. I tried selecting, holding left and then clicking right also. I'm under Linux Mint 19.2 using Cinnamon 4.2.4. I can try under CentOS 8 w/GNOME tomorrow.

To copy from SyncTERM, you only need to select the text with the left mouse button. Once it's in the selection buffer, it's up to your OS or Window manager (not SyncTERM) as to how you paste that into another application. On Ubuntu Linux desktop, it's right-click or maybe it's middle-click, I don't rember.

You might also get differ copy behavior from SyncTERM depending on what modes you run it in (the '-i' option).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #30:
    The COM I/O routines for Synchronet for DOS were written in ASM by Steve Deppe.
    Norco, CA WX: 70.3øF, 21.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 18 02:46:47 2019
    By: Digital Man to Altere on Sun Nov 17 2019 11:13 pm

I'm not sure of the behavior under windows as I don't use it for desktop anymore either. But under Linux, the cut/paste works fine from within SyncTERM. I am unable however to copy from SyncTERM
    and
    paste into say Google Chrome. Would be useful for when trying to follow a link someone

In Linux and at least FreeBSD (not sure about OS X), there are (at least) 2 differet copy/paste buffers. Try middle-clicking the mouse
    to
    paste the SyncTERM selected text into another application (e.g. Chrome).

I don't have a middle mouse button on my laptop, so I tried the "click both left and right at the same time" that sometimes works for a middle click but that didn't work with SyncTERM. I then grabbed my usb mouse from my desktop that does have a middle button, which does not work either. I tried selecting, holding left and then clicking right also.
    I'm
    under Linux Mint 19.2 using Cinnamon 4.2.4. I can try under CentOS 8 w/GNOME tomorrow.

To copy from SyncTERM, you only need to select the text with the left mouse button. Once it's in the selection buffer, it's up to your OS or Window manager (not SyncTERM) as to how you paste that into another application.
    On
    Ubuntu Linux desktop, it's right-click or maybe it's middle-click, I don't rember.

Yes, I was just trying differnent things. left mouse selection is only able to paste back into SyncTERM itself. After installing the clipboard manager clipit, whatever I'm selecting in SyncTERM does not seem to make it to the buffer. All other programs do, even from my Mushclient running from wine does, just not SyncTERM. From my understanding there's a PRIMARY and SECONDARY selection. I could be wrong but I believe secondary is program specific (which works) and primary has a selection owner that each program has access to.

SyncTERM can read the primary selection, because whatever I copy from another program can be pasted into SyncTERM. So whatever I'm selecting in SyncTERM doesn't seem to be stored primary on either of my OS's. I don't know if Xorg handles this part as the primary selection owner or not.

You might also get differ copy behavior from SyncTERM depending on what modes you run it in (the '-i' option).

Normally run without the -i option and just go auto but I've tried all options listed with the same result. Being that I've tried this under two seperate newer Linux OS's with the same results is there anyone that might be able to install one of these to see if they are getting the same results?

-altere

---
  • From HusTler@1:103/705 to Altere on Mon Nov 18 07:05:52 2019
    By: Altere to HusTler on Sun Nov 17 2019 10:58 pm

clipboard manager so going with your recommendation, I installed clipit, which doesn't work for me either. What specifically are you clicking from

I use middle mouse button. You may have to changle the keyboard settings.

Havens BBS

SysOp: HusTler

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Gamgee@1:103/705 to Altere on Mon Nov 18 13:48:00 2019
    Altere wrote to Digital Man <=-

To copy from SyncTERM, you only need to select the text with the left mouse button. Once it's in the selection buffer, it's up to your OS or Window manager (not SyncTERM) as to how you paste that into another application.
    On
    Ubuntu Linux desktop, it's right-click or maybe it's middle-click, I don't rember.

Yes, I was just trying differnent things. left mouse selection is
    only able to paste back into SyncTERM itself. After installing
    the clipboard manager clipit, whatever I'm selecting in SyncTERM
    does not seem to make it to the buffer. All other programs do,
    even from my Mushclient running from wine does, just not
    SyncTERM. From my understanding there's a PRIMARY and SECONDARY
    selection. I could be wrong but I believe secondary is program
    specific (which works) and primary has a selection owner that
    each program has access to.

SyncTERM can read the primary selection, because whatever I copy
    from another program can be pasted into SyncTERM. So whatever I'm selecting in SyncTERM doesn't seem to be stored primary on either
    of my OS's. I don't know if Xorg handles this part as the primary selection owner or not.

Normally run without the -i option and just go auto but I've
    tried all options listed with the same result. Being that I've
    tried this under two seperate newer Linux OS's with the same
    results is there anyone that might be able to install one of
    these to see if they are getting the same results?

I'm running with Slackware Linux v14.2, using the XFCE desktop
    environment. I can left-click/drag to highlight text in Syncterm
    (v1.1b) and then paste into another application by clicking my
    middle mouse button. This is the same behavior as I see in any
    other application.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Dumas Walker@1:103/705 to DIGITAL MAN on Mon Nov 18 19:30:00 2019
    In Linux and at least FreeBSD (not sure about OS X), there are (at least) 2 dif
    eret copy/paste buffers. Try middle-clicking the mouse to paste the SyncTERM se
    ected text into another application (e.g. Chrome).

If one does not have a middle button, is a middle click both buttons at
    once?

* SLMR 2.1a * "Excellent...excellent..." - Mr. Burns

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Dumas Walker on Mon Nov 18 18:21:14 2019
    By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Mon Nov 18 2019 07:30 pm

In Linux and at least FreeBSD (not sure about OS X), there are (at least) dif
    eret copy/paste buffers. Try middle-clicking the mouse to paste the SyncTERM se
    ected text into another application (e.g. Chrome).

If one does not have a middle button, is a middle click both buttons at once?

Yes.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #5:
    Nigel Tufnel: Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved.
    Norco, CA WX: 75.7øF, 20.0% humidity, 0 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Altere@1:103/705 to Gamgee on Mon Nov 18 19:14:55 2019
    Re: Re: SyncTERM 1.1b cut/paste
    By: Gamgee to Altere on Mon Nov 18 2019 01:48 pm

To copy from SyncTERM, you only need to select the text with the left mouse button. Once it's in the selection buffer, it's up to your OS or Window manager (not SyncTERM) as to how you paste that into another application. On Ubuntu Linux desktop, it's right-click or maybe it's middle-click, I don't rember.

Yes, I was just trying differnent things. left mouse selection is
    only able to paste back into SyncTERM itself. After installing
    the clipboard manager clipit, whatever I'm selecting in SyncTERM

I'm running with Slackware Linux v14.2, using the XFCE desktop
    environment. I can left-click/drag to highlight text in Syncterm
    (v1.1b) and then paste into another application by clicking my
    middle mouse button. This is the same behavior as I see in any
    other application.

So I think there's a problem with wine/Mushclient or evolution taking over. Those are the only two other programs I ever have loaded aside from Chrome. After a rebooted earlier, without loading anything else first, jumped into SyncTERM and was able to paste back out to a terminal, loaded Chrome, and was able to paste there too finally. Still not sure why it appears to only affect SyncTERM with everything loaded and the other ones doen't have problems. But then again, like I said, I don't normally have a lot of programs open at once. I should have tried rebooting a lot sooner and not loading anything else before making the other changes I did. lol

-altere

---
  • From Kirkman@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed Dec 11 15:35:42 2019

FWIW, on the Mac, you just highlight/select the text, and it is automatically copied to the clipboard. You can then paste it with Cmd-V in any other application.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet