• Personal emails deleted

From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed Apr 14 21:03:19 2021
    Hi DM,

I'm currently running a SYnchronet build from January 23rd (I thought I had updated more recently, but I guess not). I had at least 15-20 personal emails in my email box on my BBS, but when I went to check tonight, it was down to only about 8 (some of which were spam that came in recently). Do personal emails in Synchronet automatically get deleted after a certain amount of time?

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Wed Apr 14 22:05:36 2021
    Re: Personal emails deleted
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Wed Apr 14 2021 09:03 pm

Hi DM,

I'm currently running a SYnchronet build from January 23rd (I thought I had updated more recently, but I guess not). I had at least 15-20 personal emails in my email box on my BBS, but when I went to check tonight, it was down to only about 8 (some of which were spam that came in recently). Do personal emails in Synchronet automatically get deleted after a certain amount of time?

Old e-mail will be deleted if you have SCFG->Message Options->Purge E-mail by Age set to Enabled.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #58:
    The last version of Synchronet to run on MS-DOS and OS/2 was v2.30c (1999). Norco, CA WX: 50.1øF, 80.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Apr 15 08:24:16 2021
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Apr 14 2021 10:05 pm

Old e-mail will be deleted if you have SCFG->Message Options->Purge E-mail by Age set to Enabled.

I have that option disabled. I'm not sure why most of my old emails were deleted.

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 15 09:21:19 2021
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Thu Apr 15 2021 08:24 am

I have that option disabled. I'm not sure why most of my old emails were deleted.

You should have auto-backups of your mail base saved as data/mail.#.*. Using smbutil to examine the back-up before the deletion (e.g. "smbutil v mail.0.shd") may help to illuminate why.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #122:
    Synchronet v2.30a (DOS & OS/2) was released on 5-30-97, 20 months after v2.20b Norco, CA WX: 55.4øF, 71.0% humidity, 0 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 15 09:22:22 2021
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Apr 15 2021 09:21 am

By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Thu Apr 15 2021 08:24 am

You should have auto-backups of your mail base saved as data/mail.#.*. Using smbutil to examine the back-up before the deletion (e.g. "smbutil v mail.0.shd") may help to illuminate why.

Also use "smbutil s" to confirm the max_age value is set to 0 on that mail base.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #26:
    Karl: kaiser blade, ax handle with long blade on it shaped kinda like a banana. Norco, CA WX: 55.4øF, 71.0% humidity, 0 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Tue Jan 11 09:36:57 2022
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Apr 15 2021 09:22 am

Old e-mail will be deleted if you have SCFG->Message
    Options->Purge E-mail by Age set to Enabled.

I have that option disabled. I'm not sure why most of my old emails
    were deleted.

You should have auto-backups of your mail base saved as data/mail.#.*.
    Using smbutil to examine the back-up before the deletion (e.g.
    "smbutil v mail.0.shd") may help to illuminate why.

Also use "smbutil s" to confirm the max_age value is set to 0 on that mail base.

It's been a while since I posted about this, but I was coming back around to this and just tried using "smbutil v" and "smbutil s". I've confirmed the max_age value is set to 0 on my mail.shd. Also, I do have backups of my mail, and when using "smbutil v", I see there is a lot of mail there, going back to 2011. For deleted messages, I'm curious what exactly I'd be looking for when using "smbutil v"?

Also, is there a way to use smbutil to search for text within the messages and display the matching messages? Or can smbutil dump all messages in a messagebase? I'm wondering if there's a way to at least save all messages to a text file which I can search through using a text editor or other utility.

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Nightfox on Tue Jan 11 12:50:44 2022
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Tue Jan 11 2022 09:36 am

By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Apr 15 2021 09:22 am

Old e-mail will be deleted if you have SCFG->Message
    Options->Purge E-mail by Age set to Enabled.

I have that option disabled. I'm not sure why most of my old emails >> were deleted.

You should have auto-backups of your mail base saved as data/mail.#.*.
    Using smbutil to examine the back-up before the deletion (e.g.
    "smbutil v mail.0.shd") may help to illuminate why.

It's been a while since I posted about this, but I was coming back around to this and just tried using "smbutil v" and "smbutil s". I've confirmed the max_age value is set to 0 on my mail.shd.

If you've ever used a POP3 or IMAP mail client to read your BBS mail, it very easily could have deleted the messages.

Also, I do have backups of my
    mail, and when using "smbutil v", I see there is a lot of mail there, going back to 2011. For deleted messages, I'm curious what exactly I'd be looking for when using "smbutil v"?

An "attr" value that includes the DELETE flag, e.g.
    attr 0012h (READ, DELETE)

Also, is there a way to use smbutil to search for text within the messages and display the matching messages? Or can smbutil dump all messages in a messagebase?

'smbutil r -1000 /sbbs/data/mail' would dump (up to) 1000 message from the mail base (you can specify whatever number you like for the number of messages). You could then search the output stream (e.g. pipe through 'grep' or redirect to a file to be searched using a text viewer/editor).

I'm wondering if there's a way to at least save all messages
    to a text file which I can search through using a text editor or other utility.

Yup.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #44:
    IMAP = Internet Message Access Protocol
    Norco, CA WX: 73.6øF, 15.0% humidity, 4 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Nightfox@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Tue Jan 11 14:05:11 2022
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Tue Jan 11 2022 12:50 pm

It's been a while since I posted about this, but I was coming back
    around to this and just tried using "smbutil v" and "smbutil s". I've
    confirmed the max_age value is set to 0 on my mail.shd.

If you've ever used a POP3 or IMAP mail client to read your BBS mail, it very easily could have deleted the messages.

I had set up Mozilla Thunderbird on my main PC to get mail from my BBS, and though I rarely use Thunderbird, I suppose it's possible I ran Thunderbird at some point and it perhaps deleted the emails.

going back to 2011. For deleted messages, I'm curious what exactly
    I'd be looking for when using "smbutil v"?

An "attr" value that includes the DELETE flag, e.g.
    attr 0012h (READ, DELETE)

I see, thanks.

Also, is there a way to use smbutil to search for text within the
    messages and display the matching messages? Or can smbutil dump all
    messages in a messagebase?

'smbutil r -1000 /sbbs/data/mail' would dump (up to) 1000 message from the mail base (you can specify whatever number you like for the number of messages). You could then search the output stream (e.g. pipe through 'grep' or redirect to a file to be searched using a text viewer/editor).

Ah, thanks. I was using smbutil a bit and saw the r option, but it was interactive. With the -1000 option, it dumps out all those messages - Just waht I was looking for.

Nightfox

---