• POSTMSG

From Tim Whitson@1:103/705 to All on Thu Feb 25 19:56:37 2021
    When using postmsg.js can it post a .ans file or does it have to be a .txt file? I'd like to auto post BBS advertisements I'm not sure what file format to be able to post. I see people post whole ansi graphics along with their ad.

Tim

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Fool's Quarter - A walk through the plains of happy go lucky...
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Marisag@1:103/705 to Tim Whitson on Fri Feb 26 03:10:05 2021
    Re: POSTMSG
    By: Tim Whitson to All on Thu Feb 25 2021 19:56:37

When using postmsg.js can it post a .ans file or does it have to be a .txt file? I'd like to auto post BBS advertisements I'm not sure what file format to be able to post. I see people post whole ansi graphics along with their ad.

If you are on Linux my tools provide a way to post BBS adverts from a text file which can include other formats like ansi. You can even set it up to post to multiple message bases at the same time. You can get them here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/synchronet-bbs-utilities/

Marisa
    --- https://SynchronetBBS.org/HostSplash - SBBS hosting for $14/month
    þ Synchronet þ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 4,000+ files
  • From MRO@1:103/705 to Marisag on Fri Feb 26 12:32:53 2021
    By: Marisag to Tim Whitson on Fri Feb 26 2021 03:10 am

If you are on Linux my tools provide a way to post BBS adverts from a text file which can include other formats like ansi. You can even set it up to post to multiple message bases at the same time. You can get them here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/synchronet-bbs-utilities/

most of your utils are things that are already covered in synchronet. and if i'm not mistaken synchronet can do this msg posting to msg subs on any OS platform.

on windows i used smbutil
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Tim Whitson on Fri Feb 26 10:58:55 2021
    By: Tim Whitson to All on Thu Feb 25 2021 07:56 pm

When using postmsg.js can it post a .ans file or does it have to be a .txt file?

It could be ANSI or Ctrl-A encoded or RIP or PETSCII or UTF-8.

I'd like to auto post BBS advertisements I'm not sure what file
    format to be able to post. I see people post whole ansi graphics along with their ad.

Sure, should work fine, but be sure the rules of the area allow ANSI (not all do).
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #2:
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".
    Norco, CA WX: 69.1øF, 19.0% humidity, 2 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.13-Linux
  • From Tim Whitson@1:103/705 to Marisag on Fri Feb 26 22:11:24 2021

If you are on Linux my tools provide a way to post BBS adverts from a text f which can include other formats like ansi. You can even set it up to post to

I am one of those people who like Windows. As many times as I've played with Linux it has not gone well. I own a couple of older RaspberryPis and make them do some things I want but for the most part I prefer Windows. But I think you for responding.

Tim

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Fool's Quarter - A walk through the plains of happy go lucky...
  • From Tim Whitson@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Feb 26 22:13:09 2021
    By: Digital Man to Tim Whitson on Fri Feb 26 2021 10:58 am

Sure, should work fine, but be sure the rules of the area allow ANSI (not al do).
    Got it to work. I was able to post the ansi file on three boards. It is an amazing tool. Thank you for all the effort you put into this.

Tim

---
  • From MRO@1:103/705 to Tim Whitson on Sat Feb 27 11:01:01 2021
    By: Tim Whitson to Marisag on Fri Feb 26 2021 10:11 pm

If you are on Linux my tools provide a way to post BBS adverts from a text f which can include other formats like ansi. You can even set it up to post to

I am one of those people who like Windows. As many times as I've played with Linux it has not gone well. I own a couple of older RaspberryPis and make them do some things I want but for the most part I prefer Windows. But I think you for responding.

it's good that some people like to tinker around; i'm through with that stuff because i work a lot and i'm trying to enjoy life.

one thing i dont understand is why people get a pii and go through all this trouble getting a case and accessories and they end up with something that's not even as good as some dell you can get off ebay for 40 bucks with free shipping. so yeah it uses less power and it's small. if they're wanting to run plex off of it they should have something with more muscle and memory.
    ---
  • From Mortifis@1:103/705 to MRO on Sun Feb 28 11:09:02 2021
    By: Tim Whitson to Marisag on Fri Feb 26 2021 10:11 pm

one thing i dont understand is why people get a pii and go through all this trouble getting a case and accessories and they end up with something that's not even as good as some dell you can get off ebay for 40 bucks with free shipping. so yeah it uses less power and it's small. if they're wanting to run plex off of it they should have something with more muscle and memory.

My Dell Dimension 3100 (single core 1.6ghz w/1gig RAM) just took a dump after years as a dedicated BBS server. I moved everything over to an rpi4 (4 core 1.5ghz w/4gig RAM) which benchtests show is considerably more muscle than my old Dell. And certainly just preparing and setting up SBBS on it, complete with Fido and other networked subs, was a fairly straight forward process. I also know a few sysops that, along with their BBSes, run plex servers on their rpi's with no issue .. perhaps a raspberry pi upgrade? :)

~mortifis

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS Game Server rlogin://alleycatbbs.com:5513
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@1:103/705 to Tim Whitson on Sat Feb 27 07:56:00 2021
    Tim Whitson wrote to Marisag <=-

I am one of those people who like Windows. As many times as I've
    played with Linux it has not gone well. I own a couple of older RaspberryPis and make them do some things I want but for the most part
    I prefer Windows. But I think you for responding.

My latest incarnation of realitycheckBBS started when I realized I could run
    a BBS along with standards-based email, web services, FTP and IRC on that crappy little Windows box that was getting tossed in the garbage. I've stuck with Windows ever since. :)

... How would someone else do it?
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From MRO@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Sun Feb 28 17:32:23 2021
    Re: Re: POSTMSG
    By: Mortifis to MRO on Sun Feb 28 2021 11:09 am

My Dell Dimension 3100 (single core 1.6ghz w/1gig RAM) just took a dump after years as a dedicated BBS server. I moved everything over to an rpi4 (4 core 1.5ghz w/4gig RAM) which benchtests show is considerably more muscle

well that is very low end. you can get a decent computer with at least 8gigs of ram on ebay for 40+ dollars

most newer computers dont use much power, regardless.

process. I also know a few sysops that, along with their BBSes, run plex servers on their rpi's with no issue .. perhaps a raspberry pi upgrade? :)

that was just one example. they still dont have the muscle of a computer with more muscle and with transcoding that's what you need.
    ---
  • From Tim Whitson@1:103/705 to Mortifis on Sun Feb 28 14:35:37 2021
    Re: Re: POSTMSG
    By: Mortifis to MRO on Sun Feb 28 2021 11:09 am

with no issue .. perhaps a raspberry pi upgrade? :)

I have a friend who runs a haunted house in the Hubbard, OR area, well except this year. I had purchased the two RPi I had to see if I could make it into a prop controller, it has video and sound output. But I like the Arduino better

Tim

---