• Messahe Header & Avatars

From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to All on Tue Nov 17 15:52:49 2020
    I've got a custom message header, and since I did the update, the avatars show up to high in the custom header. Is there a way to have it show about 5 lines further down in the header, or am I stuck redoing my custom header. I may be missing something fairly simple.

Thanks in advance

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
    Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
    Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
    A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!

Play Trade Wars Between 10 Other BBS's On Valhalla's Trade Wars Game Server!
    6 Fantastic Games Underway, Come Play Today!

--- A true friend knows who you are... But likes you anyway.
    ώ Synchronet ώ Valhalla Home Services ώ USA ώ http://valhalla.synchro.net
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Tue Nov 17 13:58:30 2020
    Re: Messahe Header & Avatars
    By: DesotoFireflite to All on Tue Nov 17 2020 03:52 pm

I've got a custom message header, and since I did the update, the avatars show up to high in the custom header. Is there a way to have it show about lines further down in the header, or am I stuck redoing my custom header. I may be missing something fairly simple.

If you have a custom message header, then I assume you're using an @-code to display the avatar? Which @-code? How are you using it (e.g. where in your message header)? More info is needed.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #75:
    Though his mind is not for rent, don't put him down as arrogant .. Tom Sawyer Norco, CA WX: 80.9ψF, 18.0% humidity, 2 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed Nov 18 06:22:02 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Tue Nov 17 2020 01:58 pm

If you have a custom message header, then I assume you're using an @-code to display the avatar? Which @-code? How are you using it (e.g. where in your message header)? More info is needed. --

Damn, compleatly missed it when I looked, I'm using EXEC:SHOWMSGAVATAR with the @ symbol before and after. One question, rather stupid, does the avitar show from top down from the @-code, from the bottom, or center. I have no idea why it doesn't place the avatar where it used to place it, as I have changed nothing in the header. The EXEC:SHOWMSGAVATAR is placed on the bottom line of the message header, at the end of the subject string. As always, thanks for the assist.

--- Old farts never die! They just smell that way...
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Wed Nov 18 12:55:45 2020
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Wed Nov 18 2020 06:22 am

By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Tue Nov 17 2020 01:58 pm

If you have a custom message header, then I assume you're using an @-code to display the avatar? Which @-code? How are you using it (e.g. where in your message header)? More info is needed. --

Damn, compleatly missed it when I looked, I'm using EXEC:SHOWMSGAVATAR with the @ symbol before and after. One question, rather stupid, does the avitar show from top down from the @-code, from the bottom, or center. I have no idea why it doesn't place the avatar where it used to place it, as I have changed nothing in the header. The EXEC:SHOWMSGAVATAR is placed on the bottom line of the message header, at the end of the subject string. As always, thanks for the assist.

It moves the cursor up and right-justifies the avatar. See exec/showmsgavatar.js for more details.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #90:
    Synchronet/DSZ "hack" of '93: http://wiki.synchro.net/history:hack93
    Norco, CA WX: 65.4ψF, 56.0% humidity, 5 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed Nov 18 16:38:34 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Wed Nov 18 2020 12:55 pm

It moves the cursor up and right-justifies the avatar. See exec/showmsgavatar.js for more details. --

OK, thanks

--- CAT (n.), Furry keyboard cover.
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Nov 19 16:21:26 2020

center. I have no idea why it doesn't place the avatar where it used
    to place it, as I have changed nothing in the header. The
    EXEC:SHOWMSGAVATAR is placed on the bottom line of the message header,
    at the end of the subject string. As always, thanks for the assist.

It moves the cursor up and right-justifies the avatar. See exec/showmsgavatar.js for more details. --

I saw the file, and see the justification line, no matter what I do, I can't get it to display correctly, it always shows at the very top of the header.
    If I go back and use v1.1 dated 1/10/2018, it works like a charm, and displays the avitar right in the center of the message header, justified to the right, but that version doesn't have as much code in it so I fearfull I'm missing something needed elsewhere. The version I'm haveing trouble with is V1.9 dated 6/15/2019. As always, thanks, and sorry for being a pain :)

--- Fartvergnugen: The pleasure of breaking wind.
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Thu Nov 19 14:05:48 2020
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Thu Nov 19 2020 04:21 pm

center. I have no idea why it doesn't place the avatar where it used
    to place it, as I have changed nothing in the header. The
    EXEC:SHOWMSGAVATAR is placed on the bottom line of the message header,
    at the end of the subject string. As always, thanks for the assist.

I saw the file, and see the justification line, no matter what I do, I
    can't
    get it to display correctly, it always shows at the very top of the header. If I go back and use v1.1 dated 1/10/2018, it works like a charm, and displays the avitar right in the center of the message header, justified to the right, but that version doesn't have as much code in it so I fearfull I'm missing something needed elsewhere. The version I'm haveing trouble
    with
    is V1.9 dated 6/15/2019. As always, thanks, and sorry for being a pain :)

The difference that matters is probably the passing of bbs.msghdr_top_of_screen to avatar_lib.draw_bin(). You could try just removing that one argument to see if that's the relevant change that impacting you.

Also, more details about your custom message header would be helpful: do you have just a .msg or .asc variant of the file, with no-ANSI sequences in it? Or do you also have a .msg variant (e.g. with ANSI sequences)?
    So like, the output of "dir sbbs\text\menu\msghdr.*" and the contents of those files, would be helpful to know.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #26:
    Karl: kaiser blade, ax handle with long blade on it shaped kinda like a banana.
    Norco, CA WX: 71.6ψF, 50.0% humidity, 1 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Thu Nov 19 17:56:09 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Thu Nov 19 2020 02:05 pm

The difference that matters is probably the passing of bbs.msghdr_top_of_screen to avatar_lib.draw_bin(). You could try just removing that one argument to see if that's the relevant change that impacting you.

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow after work and see, and let you know.

Also, more details about your custom message header would be helpful: do you have just a .msg or .asc variant of the file, with no-ANSI sequences in it? Or do you also have a .msg variant (e.g. with ANSI sequences)? So like, the output of "dir sbbs\text\menu\msghdr.*" and the contents of those files, would be helpful to know. --
    digital man

I'm running both variants, MSGHDR.ANS (ansi Sequences) & MSGHDR.ASC (no ansi)

Below is the content of the ascii file, ansi is the same layout. Hope it draws ok in this editor.

@CLS@ ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ
    @DATE@ ?? Valhalla Home Services ? @TIME@ ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ
    To: @MSG_TO-L##############################@
    Date: @MSG_DATE-L############@ Posted: @MSG_AGE@
    Network: @SMB_GROUP@
    Forum: @SMB_SUB@, Msg: @SMB_CURMSG@ Of @SMB_MSGS@ Msgs
    @SMB_SUB_DESC@ @MSG_ATTR-L#############@
    Votes: Positive: @MSG_UPVOTES@ Negitive: @MSG_DOWNVOTES@ Total: @MSG_SCORE@
    Subject: @MSG_SUBJECT-L################################@ @EXEC:SHOWMSGAVATAR@ ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ

Home Of Odin's Maze Game Server!
    Come Play Trade Wars On Valhalla's T.W.G.S!

--- CAT (n.), Furry keyboard cover.
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Thu Nov 19 16:45:18 2020
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Thu Nov 19 2020 05:56 pm

By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Thu Nov 19 2020 02:05 pm

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow after work and see, and let you know.

Also, more details about your custom message header would be helpful: do you have just a .msg or .asc variant of the file, with no-ANSI sequences in it? Or do you also have a .msg variant (e.g. with ANSI sequences)? So like, the output of "dir sbbs\text\menu\msghdr.*" and the contents of those files, would be helpful to know. --
    digital man

I'm running both variants, MSGHDR.ANS (ansi Sequences) & MSGHDR.ASC (no ansi)

Below is the content of the ascii file, ansi is the same layout. Hope it draws ok in this editor.

ANSI sequences will definitely fowl-up the line counter and thus the correct placement of the avatar. Instead, convert your msghdr.ans to .msg or .asc and *only* use that file (e.g. delete or rename the .ans variant).
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #53:
    He picks up scraps of conversation, radio and radiation .. Digital Man
    Norco, CA WX: 66.2ψF, 64.0% humidity, 7 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Fri Nov 20 12:30:29 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Thu Nov 19 2020 04:45 pm

The difference that matters is probably the passing of
    bbs.msghdr_top_of_screen to avatar_lib.draw_bin(). You could try
    just removing that one argument to see if that's the relevant
    change that impacting you.

I tried deleting that line, and all I get are errors. I also tried commenting out different lines, with the same results.

ANSI sequences will definitely fowl-up the line counter and thus the correct placement of the avatar. Instead, convert your msghdr.ans to .msg or .asc and *only* use that file (e.g. delete or rename the .ans
    variant).

OK, I used ans2asc to convert the ansi file to asc, then renamed it msghdr.msg, and I deleted all other msghdr.* fils, to be sure I'm only using msghdr.msg, and I'm still getting the same results. seems like I'm stuck using ver 1.1 of showmsgavatar.js or changing my header for messages, unless you have some tricks up your sleve. As always, thanks, I really do appreciate everything you do.

--- Don't eat the yellow snow!
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Fri Nov 20 18:27:04 2020
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Fri Nov 20 2020 12:30 pm

By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Thu Nov 19 2020 04:45 pm

The difference that matters is probably the passing of
    bbs.msghdr_top_of_screen to avatar_lib.draw_bin(). You could try DM>> just removing that one argument to see if that's the relevant
    change that impacting you.

I tried deleting that line, and all I get are errors. I also tried commenting out different lines, with the same results.

I didn't say to delete line or comment-out a line. To be more clear, try changing this:
    var success = bbs.mods.avatar_lib.draw(bbs.msg_from_ext, bbs.msg_from, bbs.msg_from_net, /* above: */true, /* right-justified: */true
    ,bbs.msghdr_top_of_screen);

to just this:

var success = bbs.mods.avatar_lib.draw(bbs.msg_from_ext, bbs.msg_from, bbs.msg_from_net, /* above: */true, /* right-justified: */true);

ANSI sequences will definitely fowl-up the line counter and thus the correct placement of the avatar. Instead, convert your msghdr.ans to .msg or .asc and *only* use that file (e.g. delete or rename the .ans variant).

OK, I used ans2asc to convert the ansi file to asc, then renamed it msghdr.msg, and I deleted all other msghdr.* fils, to be sure I'm only
    using
    msghdr.msg, and I'm still getting the same results. seems like I'm stuck using ver 1.1 of showmsgavatar.js or changing my header for messages,
    unless
    you have some tricks up your sleve. As always, thanks, I really do appreciate everything you do.

Perhaps make the msghdr.msg file available for download somewhere and provide some screen captures of the problem?
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #74:
    SyncEdit = A defunct 3rd party full-screen editor written for Synchronet
    Norco, CA WX: 67.0ψF, 58.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sat Nov 21 15:56:54 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Fri Nov 20 2020 06:27 pm

I didn't say to delete line or comment-out a line. To be more clear, try changing this:
    var success = bbs.mods.avatar_lib.draw(bbs.msg_from_ext, bbs.msg_from, bbs.msg_from_net, /* above: */true, /* right-justified: */true ,bbs.msghdr_top_of_screen);

to just this:

var success = bbs.mods.avatar_lib.draw(bbs.msg_from_ext, bbs.msg_from, bbs.msg_from_net, /* above: */true, /* right-justified: */true);

We have sucess, thanks so much. removing bbs.mshhdr_top_of_screen did the trick. I tried that the other day, but just put in ";", forgot to do ");". Syntax screws with me every time.

Just wondering, I can't be the only one using custom headers this has messed with, and let's assume I'm Not. Is there a way, and don't take this the wrong way, cos I'm just spitballing here, instead of telling the code to go to top of the screen, that it could be adjustbly set, using numbers, using 1,2,3, etc for fractions of an inch up or down, like drop avatar down 2 fractions use a 2. I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but I hope you understand what I'm saying. as always, thanks.

--- Don't You Know, Can't You See, Don't You Understand!
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Sat Nov 21 13:48:27 2020
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Sat Nov 21 2020 03:56 pm

By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Fri Nov 20 2020 06:27 pm

var success = bbs.mods.avatar_lib.draw(bbs.msg_from_ext, bbs.msg_from, bbs.msg_from_net, /* above: */true, /* right-justified: */true ,bbs.msghdr_top_of_screen);

to just this:

We have sucess, thanks so much. removing bbs.mshhdr_top_of_screen did the trick. I tried that the other day, but just put in ";", forgot to do ");". Syntax screws with me every time.

Just wondering, I can't be the only one using custom headers this has
    messed
    with, and let's assume I'm Not.

So here's a custom header, and the avatar seems to be displayed fine:

ΪΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΏ
    ³ Area: DOVE-Net Synchronet Discussion ³
    ³ Num: 40951 ³
    ³ Subj: Messahe Header & Avatars ³ άάάάάά
    ³ From: DesotoFireflite (VALHALLA) ³ άΫίίίΫίίίά ³ To: Digital Man ³ άά °°ά °°ά ³ Attr: Read ³ ΫΫίΫΫΫΫίΫΫ ³ Date: Sat Nov 21 2020 03:56 pm EST 49 minutes ago ³ ίΫΫάάάάΫΫί ΐΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΩ ίίίίίί

I tried it both with and without the hard-coded CLS in the header (which is not the right way to control that behavior, btw, there's a user option for that).

Is there a way, and don't take this the
    wrong way, cos I'm just spitballing here, instead of telling the code to go to top of the screen, that it could be adjustbly set, using numbers, using 1,2,3, etc for fractions of an inch up or down, like drop avatar down 2 fractions use a 2. I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but I hope you understand what I'm saying. as always, thanks.

I'm not seeing a problem. Perhaps you could send some screen shots or the actual message header file that you're having problems with. Pretty sure I already asked for those...
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #22:
    Karl: I don't reckon you have to go with women to be a good father to a boy. Norco, CA WX: 81.4ψF, 21.0% humidity, 4 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Nov 22 16:50:02 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Sat Nov 21 2020 01:48 pm

I'm not seeing a problem. Perhaps you could send some screen shots or the actual message header file that you're having problems with. Pretty sure already asked for those... --
    digital man

I just sent you a message with a file attached called VHS_INFO.ZIP. Hopefully that has all the info you asked for and needed. Thanks

PS, I saw sexyz was down, but you got it fixed as I was leaving your system.

Thanks as always

--- FART(n): An audio test of one's waste-disposal system.
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Sun Nov 22 13:56:33 2020
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Sun Nov 22 2020 04:50 pm

By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Sat Nov 21 2020 01:48 pm

I'm not seeing a problem. Perhaps you could send some screen shots or the actual message header file that you're having problems with.
    Pretty
    sure I already asked for those... --
    digital man

I just sent you a message with a file attached called VHS_INFO.ZIP. Hopefully that has all the info you asked for and needed. Thanks

Yes, I see now. You don't want the avatar at the top of the screen because your custom header uses the right/top-most area of the screen for information. As of this change on April-11-2019: http://cvs.synchro.net/commitlog.ssjs?50000#38076
    ... the avatar prints on the very top right of the terminal window if the message header was also displayed up there.
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #33:
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy?
    Norco, CA WX: 75.0ψF, 37.0% humidity, 10 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Sun Nov 22 17:27:32 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Sun Nov 22 2020 01:56 pm

Yes, I see now. You don't want the avatar at the top of the screen
    because
    your custom header uses the right/top-most area of the screen for information. As of this change on April-11-2019: http://cvs.synchro.net/commitlog.ssjs?50000#38076 ... the avatar prints
    on
    the very top right of the terminal window if the message header was also displayed up there. --

Ok, I see the change you made, so we were right to take out the part we did. I understand now. Thanks for the help in solving this for me. I'm happy with the outcome.

--- I'm so disorganized my keyboard isn't even in alphabetical order!
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to DesotoFireflite on Sun Nov 22 16:23:26 2020
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Sun Nov 22 2020 05:27 pm

By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Sun Nov 22 2020 01:56 pm

Yes, I see now. You don't want the avatar at the top of the screen because your custom header uses the right/top-most area of the screen for information. As of this change on April-11-2019: http://cvs.synchro.net/commitlog.ssjs?50000#38076 ... the avatar
    prints
    on the very top right of the terminal window if the message header was also displayed up there. --

Ok, I see the change you made, so we were right to take out the part we
    did.
    I understand now. Thanks for the help in solving this for me. I'm happy
    with
    the outcome.

Try updating to the latest showmsgavatar.js and setting modopts.ini [avatars] msghdr_draw_top = false

See how that works for ya,
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #44:
    It really, it does disturb me, but i'll rise above it; I'm a professional. Norco, CA WX: 68.2ψF, 56.0% humidity, 7 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From DesotoFireflite@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Mon Nov 23 08:50:55 2020
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Sun Nov 22 2020 04:23 pm

Try updating to the latest showmsgavatar.js and setting modopts.ini [avatars] msghdr_draw_top = false

See how that works for ya,

Works like a charm, thank you so much.

--- Don't You Know, Can't You See, Don't You Understand!