• email (working now - and a stupid question)

From deepthaw@1:103/705 to All on Sun Nov 8 15:29:10 2020
    After a long night of hacking away at stuff I didn't have much experience in, I got synchronet email to coexist on the same server/domain as my existing postfix/dovecot setup.

The setup is: bbs.deepthaw.net lists deepthaw.net on its mx record as handling its emails (deepthaw.net handles its own emails too). If an email arrives at my system addressed to a user that doesn't exist, postfix forwards uses bbs.deepthaw.net (on a different) port to relay the email to synchronet. Took quite a bit of poking and prodding to find just the right settings. I don't remember if my main smtp server is relaying mail back out, or if sbbs is sending it directly (I need to go back and verify this so gmail doesn't list it as unverified - my main setup has SPF and DKIM both running fine.)

Is this how other people (if any) do it? This results in users having an @bbs.deepthaw.net email address, although @deepthaw.net works too. It'd be sweet if sbbs had Maildir support and could just skip the need for all this relaying altogether. (Does it have it and I just haven't found it?)

Now for the stupid question: none of the emails I've deleted on the bbs have been purged yet. I presume that means it's a maintenance job, and which one is it?

---
    þ Synchronet þ c.o.r.t.e.x 2.0.2.0 | telnet deepthaw.net:2323
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to deepthaw on Sun Nov 8 18:31:46 2020
    Re: email (working now - and a stupid question)
    By: deepthaw to All on Sun Nov 08 2020 03:29 pm

Is this how other people (if any) do it? This results in users having an @bbs.deepthaw.net email address, although @deepthaw.net works too. It'd be sweet if sbbs had Maildir support and could just skip the need for all this relaying altogether. (Does it have it and I just haven't found it?)

Nope, no Maildir support. No one has ever asked for that. I think most Synchronet sysops use the Synchronet mail server as their primary (usually only) mail server.

Now for the stupid question: none of the emails I've deleted on the bbs
    have
    been purged yet. I presume that means it's a maintenance job, and which one is it?

Mailbase maintenance occurs nightly at midnight, localtime.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #89:
    XSDK = Synchronet External Program Software Development Kit for C/C++
    Norco, CA WX: 66.0øF, 69.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)